PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had their E34 Stolen?

saj3n
10-18-2006, 06:52 PM
Was reading through a few old threads while looking for information on reapring the rear defroster lines, when I came across a story of an E34 being stolen in NYC, http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=14946&highlight=defroster

I wanted to know if anyone has had their E34 stolen, and has their CODE been armed or disarmed when it happened.

Quite frankly, I just want to know how full proof the CODE function is.

CharlesAFerg
10-18-2006, 07:08 PM
I think the PO of my car had it stolen or just broken into. Not only am I missing a section of rubber sealer trim on the back drivers side triangle window, but multiple palces where you could see a slim jim was yanked under the window/trim, bending it and making my chrome trim not look straight. As well as my pillars, I had to replace one because it looked like someone took a bite out fo the side and pushed outwards.

saj3n
10-18-2006, 07:22 PM
Hmmmm.... makes me wonder about my front passenger window, the thing is either off its tracks (alot), motor not pushing the window up in all places at once, or someone tried to break it.... when rolling the windows up, it tends to go outside of the rubber lining, and ends up a little bit over the top portion of the door. Leaving a gap between the window and door, an opening where water, debris, can enter. Just recently its starting going the opposite way, inside the vehicle. (pics to follow)

CharlesAFerg
10-18-2006, 07:24 PM
A follow BMWPDX club E34 owner has the same problem, I'm really not sure what causes that, I've got it too.

632 Regal
10-18-2006, 07:29 PM
if you figure out how to do the valet code preset thing, if you set it to 10mph anyone that tries to drive it will bum out. If they trailer it thats a different story.

saj3n
10-18-2006, 07:54 PM
Yea?! So I'm not alone!!! :-D YAY! now, if one of us has the time to take the door apart and see what's really going on. :-P

saj3n
10-18-2006, 07:57 PM
Hmm I'm not to familiar with this setup, let me search to see if I can find any info on the Valet preset.

mattyb
10-18-2006, 08:44 PM
the tralier scenario has become very popular of late. in particular the majority of the stolen vehicle work we investigated last year were the mitsubishi lancers. all riced up and stock ones too. folks are putting thier faith in the immobilsor technoligy and forgoing alarms. as a result the thieves dont even bother trying to break in they just pull up and drag them onto a tilt tray. passing motorists think nothing of seing a vehicle being put onto a tray.

as for e34,s have never heard of one stolen to date

Paul in NZ
10-19-2006, 01:17 AM
mine was taken for a joyride before i owned it,a new clutch,some gearbox work and new brakes were required

Qube
10-19-2006, 07:21 AM
if you figure out how to do the valet code preset thing, if you set it to 10mph anyone that tries to drive it will bum out. If they trailer it thats a different story.

Valet code? Intrigued. So they think they have your car, but it barely goes anywhere lol.

E30Bimmer
10-19-2006, 08:14 AM
The way I look at it, is if somebody is gonna steal a car, their gonna steal it. They're not gonna waste their time trying to rig the car to get it going or pick the locks or any of that nonsense. You pull up with a tow truck and just walk away. It's inconspicuous and so no one wil question it. Same goes for those high end Mercedes Benz that have no actual keys and instead have the plastic key fobs in place. Somebody who wants that car will walk away with it, and just part the car out at a chop shop. The typical alarm really only protects somebody from items on the interior of the vehicle being stolen.

Omega
10-19-2006, 08:43 AM
In the UK if they want the car, they get it. Two main methods are to lift it with a Hiab onto a lowloader or to break into the owners house and get the keys.

A particular favourite in Manchester is to be sitting at traffic lights and have a gun put through the window in your face. Happens with Scoobies and Lancers all the time.

I have hotwired my e34 and it's hardly the most demanding task to do. To be honest I am suprised more e34's were not stolen. Nowerdays they are too old and slow to be bothered with.

3rdE34
10-19-2006, 12:15 PM
i wish i knew my code. i only use the code button to clear the obc info on the dash. hopefully a dealer will be able to tell me the code if i give them vin number details etc.it would be good to be able to set it, bit of extra security i suppose. i do have the factory alarm/immobilizer fitted and the car spends most of the time in the garage :)

myles
10-19-2006, 04:10 PM
i wish i knew my code. i only use the code button to clear the obc info on the dash. hopefully a dealer will be able to tell me the code if i give them vin number details etc.it would be good to be able to set it, bit of extra security i suppose. i do have the factory alarm/immobilizer fitted and the car spends most of the time in the garage :)

You set the code yourself when you immobilise the car, then type the same code in when you want to start it again. Its not a factory set number.

CarloE34
10-19-2006, 05:48 PM
Yea?! So I'm not alone!!! :-D YAY! now, if one of us has the time to take the door apart and see what's really going on. :-P

Same thing here.I really don't know what it is:( i replaced the rubbers and now its gone.

saj3n
10-19-2006, 05:51 PM
Is that so? Where did you pick the rubbers up? I may have to give this a shot.

CarloE34
10-19-2006, 06:17 PM
That,my friend,is a problem.I live in Belgium.But i went to the stealer and surpricely it was less than 50 dollar.Otherwise try a junkyard.

indierthanthou
10-19-2006, 09:08 PM
How do you set the code?

Traian
10-19-2006, 11:19 PM
How do you set the code?

Engine off, key in position 1, press 'Code,' use the numbered keys on the OBC to create a four digit number, press 'S/R'. Code light will light up.

When you get back in the car, turn key to position 1 or 2, type code using number keys, press 'Code' and gooooooooo.

What I can't tell you is if the 1989 actually had this function heh...

kyleN20
10-19-2006, 11:24 PM
damn i wish i knew that, not that my car was ever stolen but i never got to use it when i had the car

myles
10-20-2006, 12:01 AM
my 88 has that function

VentoGT
10-20-2006, 09:17 AM
DONT FORGET TO REMEMBER THE CODE IF YOU SET IT. Your car won't start without that code if you set it. One of the reasons I love my 356--it has a 'fuel cock' where I can set it to 3 settings--Off, On, and Reserve. If you set the cock to off, the car will run for about a mile and a half and then run out of gas. The 356 is probably one of the easiest cars ever to steal, but it would be funny to see someone have to abandon it halfway down the road b/c the motor can't get gas to the carbs....

saj3n
10-20-2006, 09:56 AM
yea, I know my 89 525i had it, so you should be in luck. :)

indierthanthou
10-25-2006, 03:58 PM
damn i wish i knew that, not that my car was ever stolen but i never got to use it when i had the car
Ill try it out when I get the LKM back and let ya know

saj3n
10-25-2006, 04:05 PM
DONT FORGET TO REMEMBER THE CODE IF YOU SET IT. Your car won't start without that code if you set it. One of the reasons I love my 356--it has a 'fuel cock' where I can set it to 3 settings--Off, On, and Reserve. If you set the cock to off, the car will run for about a mile and a half and then run out of gas. The 356 is probably one of the easiest cars ever to steal, but it would be funny to see someone have to abandon it halfway down the road b/c the motor can't get gas to the carbs....

If this does happen, you have to leave the key in posistion 1 while the alarm sounds for 30 seconds, and then the obc will countdown 15minutes. After the countdown is complete, you can then attempt to start the car again.

tdgard
10-27-2006, 09:15 AM
What I can't tell you is if the 1989 actually had this function heh...

Hell my 84 533 had this.

Ferret
10-27-2006, 10:22 AM
Also for the guys with dodgy closing windows, you might want to check the plastic runners in the frame - my 525s passenger window was going up half-cocked. Took the door apart, and sure enough the little plastic runner was actually a pile of bits in the bottom of the door.

CharlesAFerg
10-27-2006, 10:29 AM
Ill try it out when I get the LKM back and let ya know
Your sig is massive.

Also for the guys with dodgy closing windows, you might want to check the plastic runners in the frame - my 525s passenger window was going up half-cocked. Took the door apart, and sure enough the little plastic runner was actually a pile of bits in the bottom of the door.
Thanks, I'll check that out, that's probably the problem...