PDA

View Full Version : Checkups On 1989 535i BMW

marsmars
10-16-2006, 10:52 PM
I have a 1989 535i and I would like to run checkups on it. Maybe some fluid changes, oil changes, and check to see if the other portions of the car are functioning properly.

It has around 150,000 miles and I was wondering what kind of problems I should be looking for. I was going to go and have it checked on Wednesday.

Also, my air conditioning doesn't always work. When the A/C does work, it only blows cold on the right side of the car, and then hot on the left side-- it's hysterical. Any ideas?

Kobe Diesel
10-17-2006, 01:09 AM
transmission & diiferential fluids check level and/or change. manual or auto?
check steering links, control arms, thrust arms for play and wear on bushings
brake fluid flush
air intake filter change (if you havent done it already)
clean out the throttle body
coolant drain and refresh

this is minimum, much more can be added to the list if you dont know when and what has been last changed or maintained.

DaveVoorhis
10-17-2006, 03:33 AM
Also, my air conditioning doesn't always work. When the A/C does work, it only blows cold on the right side of the car, and then hot on the left side-- it's hysterical. Any ideas?
It might be that the heater valves (on the left side firewall) are sticking, so hot coolant is being continuously delivered to the left side of the heater core. It's a common problem. Sometimes a sticky valve can be freed with a sharp rap from a blunt object, but if the valve unit is at fault, it's more likely it needs to be replaced.

Paul in NZ
10-17-2006, 03:47 AM
its all listed here.BMW have a very systematic and thorough servicing routine.If you really want to go to town and start with a fresh page do a "inspection II"Apart from your A/c which probably needs recharging(or topping up) and the heater valve does the car exhibit any other bad behaviour?.As well as the inspection II the most likelyparts needing attention are front suspension parts,coolng system parts and brakes(pads and maybe rotors.If its manual the res is pretty bullet proof.

marsmars
10-17-2006, 05:54 PM
In the LED-dashboard-thingy, it says:

Brake Linings
Owner's Manual
Oil Press Sensor

What does, "Brake Linings", and, "Oil Press Sensor", mean? How much will it cost to get a mechanic to rectify these problems? Is it telling me to check the owner's manual? In which case, I don't have an owners manual. Someone help!

If I don't fix it, is the car at risk?

Thank you guys for answering, I printed out your answers and I'm going to give them to a mechanic on Wednesday and have him check out the car.

PS: The car is automatic.

DaveVoorhis
10-17-2006, 06:04 PM
"Brake Linings" could mean the brake linings are worn, but the sensors and sensor leads operate in the harsh underbody environment and are subject to damage and corrosion. Something once kicked up into the rear wheel on my 525i and ripped the leads off the sensor, resulting in that warning.

"Oil Press Sensor" means the oil pressure sensor is out of range. The problem could be the sensor itself, or the electrical connector or leads.

"Owner's Manual" appears to tell you to go look up the above warnings in your owner's manual. Don't have one? See http://luuk.xs4all.nl/bmwboeken/bmwe34manual/