PDA

View Full Version : Connecting an ipod too a 1990 e34 535i

shishcabob30
10-16-2006, 07:15 PM
Ok I was wondering if there was any way to more completely integrate my ipod with my car. Which is as stated above a 1990 e34 535I. I have a tape adapter so that is one way of connecting it but besides using a radio broadcaster I was wondering if there was any other method of connecting the ipod with the car stereo. I realize that this is a long shot because the stereo I believe is not too digital in nature and of course ipod completely digital but then again what do I know I'm probably using wrong words all together. Anyways thanks guys.

hatched91
10-16-2006, 07:56 PM
yeah, i had a 1990 535i, but i just bought a used alpine for $50 and bought an Mbus adaptor. it was like $70 total. my cd player was an alpine cdm 9823

WillDV
10-16-2006, 10:27 PM
An aftermarket deck is your best option. Its the end of the yr, or fast approaching the end of the yr. so you should be able to find some great deals on a 2006 model. This past January I picked up Panasonics top of the line deck for 2005 (msrp 600$) for 200$ It has two aux inputs, each input has a left and right RCA cable plug in, so I bought a cable that has a headphone jack to two RCA plugs, ran it behind my OBC so that it exits the dash inside of my glove box. The cord is slim enough that I can close the glove box on it, and when I want the cord out of the way, I just coil it inside the glove box. It works perfectly, and sounds great. Also because I'm running the music through my deck, I can use the 7 band EQ. It sounds alot better than I thought it would. The RCA-headphone jack cable cost me...
20$ @ best buy.

Paul in NZ
10-17-2006, 04:10 AM
If you want to kep it completely stock looking a deck from a later model is ipod compatible,but i can never remember the model.Its likeley to cost just as much as a new head unit tho

shishcabob30
10-17-2006, 11:14 AM
An aftermarket deck is your best option. Its the end of the yr, or fast approaching the end of the yr. so you should be able to find some great deals on a 2006 model. This past January I picked up Panasonics top of the line deck for 2005 (msrp 600$) for 200$ It has two aux inputs, each input has a left and right RCA cable plug in, so I bought a cable that has a headphone jack to two RCA plugs, ran it behind my OBC so that it exits the dash inside of my glove box. The cord is slim enough that I can close the glove box on it, and when I want the cord out of the way, I just coil it inside the glove box. It works perfectly, and sounds great. Also because I'm running the music through my deck, I can use the 7 band EQ. It sounds alot better than I thought it would. The RCA-headphone jack cable cost me...
20$ @ best buy.

Is there any way to get a deck that will allow me some control over my ipod like say if it was in the glove box and I could control it from the deck?

Also just wondering I looked into several different car stereo makers and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or recommendations on a certain brand or model?

Thanks guys.

1995 525i
10-17-2006, 01:37 PM
Is there any way to get a deck that will allow me some control over my ipod like say if it was in the glove box and I could control it from the deck?

Also just wondering I looked into several different car stereo makers and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or recommendations on a certain brand or model?

Thanks guys.

You can an Apline deck and the Alpine IPOD adapter like I did. My IPOD is in the glovebox and I control it from the deck. Check out pics here:
http://img73.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ipodingloveboxzw9.jpg

Michael

granit_silber
10-17-2006, 02:54 PM
You can an Apline deck and the Alpine IPOD adapter like I did. My IPOD is in the glovebox and I control it from the deck. Check out pics here:
http://img73.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ipodingloveboxzw9.jpg

Michael

Michael,

What's that thing on the left side of your glove box? A strut? I don't have one of those! :)
-ashley

632 Regal
10-17-2006, 03:02 PM
not many of us do, you can get them at BMA. Looks like they are for cars with pass side airbags.
part #51162236484

What's that thing on the left side of your glove box? A strut? I don't have one of those! :)
-ashley[/quote]

1995 525i
10-17-2006, 03:20 PM
Michael,

-ashley

You know what Ashley I've never really noticed. I've seen it but I've never paid it any mind. Tell you what, send me a set of style 5's and it's yours.:D

Michael

jbourke
10-18-2006, 08:57 AM
Ok I was wondering if there was any way to more completely integrate my ipod with my car

If you're (or if you know someone) electronically inclined it's not that hard to connect the Ipod output to the amplifier inside your unit. A small RCA jack and switch nicely hidden is all you need on the outside. I did this with the old Philips unit in my car and it works perfectly. Another advantage is that no a-hole is going to try to steal it :-)

VentoGT
10-18-2006, 10:50 AM
I have an Alpine CDA9835, XM, and iPod controller from my 993 that I will soon put in my M5. In my 993, I left the iPod in the glovebox and you could control the iPod through the head unit. Very slick system, and the face has color changing capabilities so you can make it Orange to match your BMW lighting. Highly, Highly recommended.

1995 525i
10-18-2006, 01:59 PM
I have an Alpine CDA9835, XM, and iPod controller from my 993 that I will soon put in my M5. In my 993, I left the iPod in the glovebox and you could control the iPod through the head unit. Very slick system, and the face has color changing capabilities so you can make it Orange to match your BMW lighting. Highly, Highly recommended.

:D

WillDV
10-18-2006, 03:51 PM
:) I would also have to recommend the Alpine deck, my buddy has that in his car and its wayyy slicker than my setup, the only reason I went with my setup, was that I couldn't find that Alpine deck for a price I could afford (I'm a student). So I went with what in my opinion, was the next best thing.