PDA

View Full Version : M30 won't start when warm, Kinda long

Felixdacat
10-16-2006, 05:09 PM
Today I had this problem. First time. I drove my car 15 miles from work today, and stopped at the local communications store. In there for 5 min. Came out to start the car, and no start. The engine cranked, but didn't start. It cranked like the timing chain or belt broke. Fast. After about 10 min I tried again. VROOM. Good i said, and drove home. About 1 mile. Shut the car off, and proceeded to start again. Not hapenning. Same symptom. Waited 10 min again, and VROOM again. I have checked all fluids, and they are good, and have new plugs, cap and rotor. The car has the original fuel pump. Not to bad for 2220000 miles on it. I have no vacume leaks, but was hearing a weird knock tapping sound, from the lower front of the block. This has been happening for about 6 months now. It doesn't sound like a rod knock. Possible oil pump? I have an EAT chip, and run 93oct fuel. I'm thinking the fuel pump has had enough.

Does anyone have any possible Ideas?
Thanks in advance .........Felix

mprudent
10-16-2006, 05:20 PM
Today I had this problem. First time. I drove my car 15 miles from work today, and stopped at the local communications store. In there for 5 min. Came out to start the car, and no start. The engine cranked, but didn't start. It cranked like the timing chain or belt broke. Fast. After about 10 min I tried again. VROOM. Good i said, and drove home. About 1 mile. Shut the car off, and proceeded to start again. Not hapenning. Same symptom. Waited 10 min again, and VROOM again. I have checked all fluids, and they are good, and have new plugs, cap and rotor. The car has the original fuel pump. Not to bad for 2220000 miles on it. I have no vacume leaks, but was hearing a weird knock tapping sound, from the lower front of the block. This has been happening for about 6 months now. It doesn't sound like a rod knock. Possible oil pump? I have an EAT chip, and run 93oct fuel. I'm thinking the fuel pump has had enough.

Does anyone have any possible Ideas?
Thanks in advance .........Felix

perhaps your timing skipped a few teeth...sounds like compression leaves, then comes back when its settled....mabye not getting a fire either...
happened to an E30 325 i had a year ago

Robin-535im
10-16-2006, 05:29 PM
Hot start issues are common when the fuel check valve goes kaput.

See:
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/535ihot_start.asp

HTH

Felixdacat
10-16-2006, 06:05 PM
I think its getting a little po'd at me. I have been talking about rebuilding the motor this winter. I don't think it would be the timing. When it starts back up it idles great. Better than it ever has. I just went out to start it again, and it is taking a little longer to start. Starter is very strong, and It has a new battery, 3 monthe old. Now for the firing. I believe it has the original coil. Was changing that this weekend.

DaveVoorhis
10-16-2006, 06:11 PM
Have you checked the compression when hot? Your mention of "it cranked like the timing chain or belt broke" sounds suspicious.

Felixdacat
10-16-2006, 06:38 PM
Robin I totally forgot about e34 net. Thanks. Dave I have not checked compression yet, and will not be able to do this until this weekend. It does strick me as odd cranking the way it does when warm. All of the suggestions I am getting will be done and tested this weekend. The other thing I don't get is when it was hot during the summer the car idled crappy. Now that the weather is cooler, it idles like nothing was never wrong. I don't get it. Well I guess welcome to E34 world.

Felixdacat
10-17-2006, 06:56 AM
Well she finally took a ****!!! This morning she doesn't want to turn over at all. The motor and trans, will be pulled this weekend for overhaul, and a new pump and check valve will be installed.

See you guys later, and thanks. Keep you updated....Felix

632 Regal
10-17-2006, 09:41 AM
take pictures of what happened when you get it out, sounds interesting.

Felixdacat
10-17-2006, 04:25 PM
Not a problem Jeff. I am hoping to see a bad oil pump, timing chain or tensioner to be the lower end culprit noise. I might have another solution to why it won't start though. Crank position sensor. I'll take lots and lots of pics. The good the bad the ugly. (very good flick).:p

Mr Project
10-17-2006, 10:32 PM
Pulling and overhauling the drivetrain seems kinda drastic for a no-start condition! Unless you're doing it for some other reason, at least do a compression and leakdown test before you go through all that work!