PDA

View Full Version : Ot: Earthquakes are fun...

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-16-2006, 01:18 PM
NOT!

Whooo Weee, We had a 6.something-another quake rock the Islands yesterday.

No one seriously hurt, but knocked the power off for 12+ hours.

Lots of stupid human tricks, price gouging, traffic light ballets and Hawaiian Electric's retarded staff couldn't start a lawn mower, let alone a generator.

Dave M
10-16-2006, 01:27 PM
Sounds like a trip, I've never experienced an earthquake. My friend of mine was actually visiting from the island when it occured, and a cousin was on the island when it 'hit', said it wasn't too bad, but he's tough to rattle.

Hey, question for you. Nah, I'll pm.

Dave M

HIe34
10-16-2006, 03:51 PM
Fricken HECO. Did you hear KSSK interviewing the rep from HECO? They asked him why the power shut off and he wouldn't even answer the question.

Hope all is well at your place. Pretty scary on the 9th floor.

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-16-2006, 04:00 PM
the house!

Most rocking I've ever experianced laying in bed alone!

I've seen nuke subs scrammble in a fraction of the time it took HECO to bring water back up to a boil.

HIe34
10-16-2006, 04:09 PM
Still a cold shower this morning. Ahhh, thank god it's 85 degrees outside.

Funny thing, I was up with the kids actually, and I was bolting the bookshelf to the wall (so it wouldn't fall when they climb on it) when it hit. I was standing on one of our dining chairs when we started rocking.

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-16-2006, 08:48 PM
We were set...

Hot showers from the solar water heater.

Hot meals with the help of my two Boy Scouts and a Bar-B-Que.

Cold beer

and romantic kerosene lamps at night.

All I did all day was detail the Touring, then the wife asks "did you vacuum it" Ha!

RockJock
10-16-2006, 09:04 PM
hey BB - if you're on the big island can you collect a few nice spinel lherzolite xenolith specimens for me? ;) thx man!!

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-16-2006, 09:15 PM
hey BB - if you're on the big island can you collect a few nice spinel lherzolite xenolith specimens for me? ;) thx man!!

We have some Iherzolite type olivine crystals in some of the lava rocks here.
Real tiny stuff, just a few mm in size (hence the name Diamond Head)

Look for old rocks, and do not pick any fresh lava rocks from the Big Island, due to the superstitions about Bad luck from rocks being picked up from fresh flows.

RockJock
10-16-2006, 09:29 PM
We have some Iherzolite type olivine crystals in some of the lava rocks here.
Real tiny stuff, just a few mm in size (hence the name Diamond Head)

Look for old rocks, and do not pick any fresh lava rocks from the Big Island, due to the superstitions about Bad luck from rocks being picked up from fresh flows.

cool ....

i wonder if this quake is gonna trigger any significant flows (from decompression melting)?!?

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-16-2006, 09:39 PM
Has been erupting for many years and we expect more activity due to the last few quakes, changes to the surrounding vents, older volcanoes showing signs of pressure.

shogun
10-16-2006, 10:42 PM
We have a lot of earthquakes here in Japan.
As long as it only shakes it might be fun.
But it can be a desaster.
In the 1995 earthquake in Kobe more than 5.000 people were killed.
Or this one in 2004
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3946957.stm

Pics from the big one in Kobe
http://www.seismo.unr.edu/ftp/pub/louie/class/100/effects-kobe.html

Airborne001
10-17-2006, 04:54 AM
I know how you guys feel, the Northridge quake of 1994 sent people in Vegas 300 miles away under the tables. I was 1.5 miles from the epicenter, Rocking and Rolling for 3 weeks with AS's. 6 feet of water sloshed out of our pool that was only 8 feet deep.

SC David
10-17-2006, 03:27 PM
Good to hear that no one was killed. Earthquakes are fun when they're under 4.5, but it gets crazy when they have a high magnitude and lonngggg span. The only major earthquake of my life was the Loma Prieta quake of '89 that collapsed part of freeway here and destroyed the Marina. I was but a wee lad, watching Sesame Street when it suddenly turned off and everything started shaking.

Airborne001
11-17-2006, 05:51 AM
I saw the damage from that one, but wasn't present for the actual shaking.