PDA

View Full Version : Engine running roughly...

simon-york
10-16-2006, 01:13 PM
Hi guys

Sorry to ask for help agian so soon but I have a problem with my M30 engine. Some of you will remember I lost my licence about 18 months ago when I had a seizure (I have epilepsy caused by brain injury and surgery). The car has been started around once a fortnight and warmed up to operating temperature and has run beautifully until now. It idles roughly and wont rev up cleanly - and I think this is because the cold start enrichment isn't coming off - there was a smell of fuel I noticed yesterday.

I'd imagine that something has got stuck - can anyone advise the first place to look on an M30 engine please? - mine is the more unusual 3 litre version.

Many thanks
Si

BillionPa
10-19-2006, 01:31 PM
charcoal canister might be shot, or the purge valve, an injector could be stuck, or there could be a leak in the fuel system causing contamination.

i sure hope that synthetic oil is in there.

but the first thing i would do is make sure the battery is at full charge, using a trickle charger.

then if you do have dino, drop in 5W40 synthetic.

see if you can also dump the fuel in the tank and get it filled a quarter way with some ethanol free gas. then add one (only one) ounce of pure acetone, that will lower the fuels ability to absorb water. and if your fuel filters are ancient, replace em (or it)

make sure to check the fuel lines down there for cracking, as 17 years aint so nice to rubber. if they are cracking, replace them at the same time as the filter.

remember.... that might not fix your problem, but it will prevent a large amount of others and narrow the problem down further.

goat128
10-19-2006, 01:34 PM
if theres any white smoke out the tailpipe then replace the cold start injector.

BillionPa
10-19-2006, 11:42 PM
i didnt think the M30 had a cold start injector, the motronic dme should take care of that with increased injector pulse width.

the fuel pressure regulator could be suspect (or just one component of the problem.)