PDA

View Full Version : Kinda OT, but some may be interested, the

Bill R.
10-16-2006, 12:39 PM
engine compartment of a lexus rx400h hybrid that i worked on, and the electric power steering rack that it has... no hydraulic hoses, i like it.

Anton CH.
10-16-2006, 01:26 PM
Did you get to drive it? I wonder if it feels any different from a normal hydrolic system.

Jon K
10-16-2006, 01:29 PM
There is a lexus hybrid out, i forget which, that is claiming like 380hp or something!

Bill. I wouldn't even know where to start on that thing.

Bill R.
10-16-2006, 01:40 PM
steering was electric you wouldn't notice any difference. Feels fine to me, for a sport utility.Its pretty quick for its size also. The mileage isn't anything to get excited about though. They're average since they've had it is just about 20, but they are extreme leadfeet. The back tires are like new with 17k on it and and the front tires are seriously worn already.

Did you get to drive it? I wonder if it feels any different from a normal hydrolic system.

ryan roopnarine
10-16-2006, 01:51 PM
so is the rest of the engine tilted back 60 or 90 degrees for fittment reasons? i thought it was a 3 cylinder motor, until i went and looked at the lexus website. i'm sure that makes things nice and easy to access.

Bill R.
10-16-2006, 02:04 PM
standard v6 layout that toyota uses on it. And yes the rear cylinders are fun to get to. The pink fluid on the far right is the seperate cooling system for the voltage inverter.. big inverter.The inverter is just to the left of it

so is the rest of the engine tilted back 60 or 90 degrees for fittment reasons? i thought it was a 3 cylinder motor, until i went and looked at the lexus website. i'm sure that makes things nice and easy to access.

RichO
10-16-2006, 03:35 PM
What was wrong with it that they brought it in for service?

Bill R.
10-16-2006, 06:00 PM
wasn't ever going back to the dealer if they could help it. Pretty interesting actually... somebody at the dealership had done the first 2 oil changes and at some point they turned the air filter around.... When i looked at it ,it was equally dirty on both sides. So I have no idea how long its been sucking dirt off the filter into the engne. I told them about it and they didn't really understand until i said if it was mine i would be very pissed off and would definiitely let the dealer know about it and request some kind of written statement to the effect that if this engine wore out prematurely they would cover it due to the negligence of somebody. I know the customer didn't do it ,since they don't ever touch their cars.

What was wrong with it that they brought it in for service?

rob101
10-16-2006, 09:23 PM
I am wondering if the electrical part of the steering is only the power steering, so its still mechanical in its operation (only the power boost is electric)?