PDA

View Full Version : still makes me smile after all these years

billb
10-16-2006, 09:38 AM
The wife and kids and I headed up to have dinner with the in-laws last night. I bypassed the E30 and the Explorer for the E34. We've been running 89 octane for a bit due to higher gas prices, but splurged on a tank of premium the other week at BJ's price club. This is the first time I've driven the car in a while, and I was reminded how much nicer it runs on better fuel. Takeoffs from a stop are more crisp. Acceleration from a roll is smoother. I had fun on one particular on-ramp (a long uphill sweeper) where I normally have to flog it up the hill, leaving a newer Acura TL behind.

Looking forward to taking the car to Asheville this weekend, and some time on the BRP leaf-viewing with the rest of the tourists...hope for no snow (no ASC on this car).

BTW, successfully handled a twisted seatback repair the other week. One hour, start to finish. Thanks to Don Gale's repair pages!

Denton
10-16-2006, 10:14 AM
Neat!

I haven't even driven my new E34, and good to know that premium fuel is best. I only run Shell V-Power BTW.

P.S.- We're looking to buy a house in Asheville; my Mom is also looking in Waynesboro. :)

Russell
10-16-2006, 10:32 AM
Chevron or BP 93 octane seems to work best on my 95. However I do have E.A.T. computer chip which requires at least 91.

scoop2004
10-16-2006, 12:56 PM
95 is the lowest a)we can get,and b)id EVER put in a car

how high are these fuel prices u consider high

Fuel in the UK is the lowest its been in 14 months this month,and this is at £0.84 pence per litre (for 95 octane) $1.91 to £1 and earlier on this year the AVERAGE for 95 octane was £1.03

puppypilgrim
10-16-2006, 01:09 PM
I drive a 1990 535i-based BMW, it makes me smile all the time!

billb
10-16-2006, 01:38 PM
95 is the lowest a)we can get,and b)id EVER put in a car

how high are these fuel prices u consider high

Fuel in the UK is the lowest its been in 14 months this month,and this is at £0.84 pence per litre (for 95 octane) $1.91 to £1 and earlier on this year the AVERAGE for 95 octane was £1.03

You're confusing octane ratings:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Our ratings are (R+M)/2, so my 89 would be your 94-95 octane. Our premium (93) would be 100 or so for you.

A gallon of 89 octane here is $2.32 right now, $2.42 for 93 octane.

Did I mention the topic of this thread was really that the car makes me smile after all these years? I really was referring to the synergy of the car, not just octane rating. ;)

Russell
10-16-2006, 02:14 PM
I never forget how good/attractive these cars are. I love driving it. This is why I try to over-maintain mine. I want it to last a very long time. Even so, I have a list of items to "fix" including rear struts, Ox sensor, sub frame bushings, selected trim pieces etc. None are really "broken". However, I think some parts are just tired.

clonetropper
10-16-2006, 04:45 PM
E34 is great to drive until you have bushing and ball joint issues.. Then it totally piss you off.

billb
10-16-2006, 08:37 PM
E34 is great to drive until you have bushing and ball joint issues.. Then it totally piss you off.
...ungah bungah.

granit_silber
10-17-2006, 07:32 AM
Bill,

My wife and I were up that way last weekend for Western Carolina's Homecoming. Only the leaves in the upper elevations were beginning to turn, but I caught a few awesome Sugar Maples that looked like they were on fire. A word to the wise...be sure to reserve your hotel rooms. While I was checking in Saturday night 5 people came in trying to find a room, Asheville was completely sold out!

Have fun!!!
-ashley

billb
10-17-2006, 09:45 AM
Bill,

My wife and I were up that way last weekend for Western Carolina's Homecoming. Only the leaves in the upper elevations were beginning to turn, but I caught a few awesome Sugar Maples that looked like they were on fire. A word to the wise...be sure to reserve your hotel rooms. While I was checking in Saturday night 5 people came in trying to find a room, Asheville was completely sold out!

Have fun!!!
-ashley

We're staying with some friends in Biltmore Lake, so we have lodging taken care of for us (we're godparents of their daughter, who is getting baptized this weekend). Looking forward to the trip; already have a list of "to-dos" before we go (rotate tires, check out that squeaky left front brake, etc.etc.etc.)

bullyd
10-17-2006, 05:58 PM
You're confusing octane ratings:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Our ratings are (R+M)/2, so my 89 would be your 94-95 octane. Our premium (93) would be 100 or so for you.

A gallon of 89 octane here is $2.32 right now, $2.42 for 93 octane.

Did I mention the topic of this thread was really that the car makes me smile after all these years? I really was referring to the synergy of the car, not just octane rating. ;)

thanks for this post billb, ive never understood why us gas octane differed from ours but didnt want to make myself look a tit!:p now i know :D

billb
10-21-2006, 06:21 PM
We're staying with some friends in Biltmore Lake, so we have lodging taken care of for us (we're godparents of their daughter, who is getting baptized this weekend). Looking forward to the trip; already have a list of "to-dos" before we go (rotate tires, check out that squeaky left front brake, etc.etc.etc.)
...then I go out to the car after we arrive here..."what's that smell? coolant?" Sure enough, the radiator had split at the expansion tank. Fortunately, Fletcher BMW had one in stock but I paid $330 for it...ugh. 2 year warranty, but when you need it, you need it. Took about 45 minutes to install. I'm just glad it held on to get us here.

ScottyWM
10-21-2006, 08:12 PM
I know the feeling, Bill. But I've been smiling a whole lot more lately with my new toy. Picked up this '78 MGB (with a known history since new). It's not in perfect shape, but pretty damn great considering. It'll sure put a big grin on your face!!

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/96/96274/folders/53276/2022699MG1a.jpg

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/96/96274/folders/53276/2022700MG2a.jpg

billb
10-23-2006, 04:25 PM
...then I go out to the car after we arrive here..."what's that smell? coolant?" Sure enough, the radiator had split at the expansion tank. Fortunately, Fletcher BMW had one in stock but I paid $330 for it...ugh. 2 year warranty, but when you need it, you need it. Took about 45 minutes to install. I'm just glad it held on to get us here.

...that I used only the tools available in the trunk toolkit to change the radiator? Well, that, and a $1.99 drainpan from Kmart (saved the old coolant since it was only about 6 months old, and augmented with the gallon I take along in the trunk). Took some great photos along the BRP...here's one.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/tarheelbimmer/DSCN1467.jpg