PDA

View Full Version : Front tyre inside wear

E34-520iSE
10-16-2006, 05:38 AM
Hi all! I've done a quick search for this but had no joy. I am running standard BBS cross-spoke alloys with 225/60/15 tyres. My fronts have lasted about a year, but the inside edge of both of them has completely worn away! What's caused that? What do I need to replace? My rear tyres do not wear unevenly - they have been on nearly three years and still have 5mm of tread left on them.

Thanks for any replies,

Shaun

Qube
10-16-2006, 06:49 AM
Inside front eh? Usually it's the rear with strange camber that does it...

According to Jeff, "these cars usually wear the outside of the front tires and the insides on the rears."

Wonder if the front toe would have much to say about this. What's your tire pressure?

Russell
10-16-2006, 07:12 AM
Improper toe-in can cause that type of wear. The tire has "toe-out" when it should have a specific amount of toe-in.

When was your last alignment? BTW, only the front toe-in can be adjusted.

E34-520iSE
10-16-2006, 08:49 AM
Thanks for your replies Qube and Russell. I think you have both hit the nail on the head when you suggest a toe issue. Last time it was checked was 3 years ago so I suppose it's time for a check-up, especially since it had both Pitman arms replaced.I know that RWD cars need to have a certain amount of toe-in, to compensate for the forward 'push' from the rear wheels, while FWD cars normally need the opposite set-up (toe-out). Are you able to tell me what the correct toe-in should be (in mm please!), so I can check it tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Shaun

632 Regal
10-16-2006, 09:49 AM
I bookmarked the alignment page Bill R has posted in the past.
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images2/e34alignment.jpg
(http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images2/e34alignment.jpg)

E34-520iSE
10-16-2006, 10:09 AM
That's a very comprehensive spec-sheet Jeff. Thanks very much. It doesn't seem to mention mm's though, just degrees. Either that or I haven't read it properly!

Cheers,

Shaun

E34-520iSE
10-16-2006, 10:28 AM
This looks interesting:-

http://www.totalbmwmag.com/HandsOn/TechNov01.PDF

Another site says toe-in is 0.08" which equals 2.032 mm.

Cheers,

Shaun

Cor-Man
10-17-2006, 04:09 AM
Before you play with the alignment make sure your thrust arm bushings aren't worn. If they are worn your toe out will increase as you brake. I had this problem I went through a pair of front tires in about 6 months where the inside tread was bald and the outside had about 80% left. I put M5 thrust arm bushings in and the wear has completely stopped. I'm still driving on those tires 3 months after I replaced my bushings.

Robke
10-19-2006, 05:14 PM
I have had the same problem after i hit someting on the road a couple of months ago , checked alignment and had 2.5mm out , set it to 2.3mm toe-in and problem was solved.
You should notice it when driving , my car was dwelling a bit and found all the lines in the road , now it's stready as a rock again