PDA

View Full Version : Fault code 1216

KenB
10-15-2006, 08:39 PM
Managed to get the stomp test work and got 1216 from my first "check engine" light ever. The symptom was sudden loss of power, as if I took my foot off the gas very briefly (a second or two) then it would acccelerate/run normally. The code indicates the throttle potentiometer.

It only happened a couple times and when I restarted the car after stopping, no more CEL or symptoms.

I checked my battery voltage and it is right at 12V, which is a bit low. It is a BMW battery and the indicator is black, meaning recharge. I had to jump the car yesterday after running the CD player and a plug-in vacuum cleaner for a couple of hours, would not turn the starter over. I have run the CD all day before with no problems.

Alternator output is 13V, which seems OK so I think I need a new battery. It's not recharging all the way or holding charge to full capacity. I've done a search and found the info for the Duralast battery, which I will get tomorrow. (anyone know the price difference between a Duralast and a BMW battery from the dealer?)

My question is, would low voltage cause the throttle pot to malfunction and throw the code? Where is the throttle potentiometer?

DaveVoorhis
10-15-2006, 09:21 PM
My question is, would low voltage cause the throttle pot to malfunction and throw the code?
My experience with a variety of electronic fuel injected vehicles is that once the battery goes low, all bets are off. Until you're confident the battery voltage is correct, treat all codes as suspect.

Where is the throttle potentiometer?
On the right-hand side of the throttle body, off the end of the butterfly shaft.

KenB
10-16-2006, 06:35 AM
Thanks Dave, battery will get replaced today.

Cor-Man
10-17-2006, 04:33 AM
Your throttle potentiometer is under your dash attatched to your accelerator linkage. If that is in fact the problem. Its a part of that horrible EML system (drive by wire throttle). The potentiometer sends a resistance value to the EML control unit which tells the electric motor on the throttlebody how far to open. If your car has this system pray that no parts fail because they're rare and expensive. You might be able to get away with cleaning the contacts inside. I've personally only cleaned my motor on my throttlebody so I'm not sure if you can take apart the potentiometer. I'm seriously considering swapping out this system for a regular cable operated system on my car. I'll lose the traction control which it was designed for but i can live with that. Sorry for the length, hope it helps!

KenB
10-17-2006, 04:57 AM
Replaced battery with a Duralast from Autozone for $65. Came with the vent tube and was an exact fit. Seems like a good deal. 850CCA, the old BMW battery had 650.

I had the code come up only once and have not had any symptoms since replacing the battery so I'm hoping it was because of the low voltage.

Thanks for the info.

DaveVoorhis
10-17-2006, 06:23 AM
Your throttle potentiometer is under your dash attatched to your accelerator linkage. If that is in fact the problem. Its a part of that horrible EML system ...
Indeed, my mistake in the above. Had a brain fart and thought throttle position sensor...

Bill R.
10-17-2006, 07:58 AM
give a fault code followed shortly by the abs light and then the srs light, if the voltage fall much lower then the car starts to stall.

Managed to get the stomp test work and got 1216 from my first "check engine" light ever. The symptom was sudden loss of power, as if I took my foot off the gas very briefly (a second or two) then it would acccelerate/run normally. The code indicates the throttle potentiometer.

It only happened a couple times and when I restarted the car after stopping, no more CEL or symptoms.

I checked my battery voltage and it is right at 12V, which is a bit low. It is a BMW battery and the indicator is black, meaning recharge. I had to jump the car yesterday after running the CD player and a plug-in vacuum cleaner for a couple of hours, would not turn the starter over. I have run the CD all day before with no problems.

Alternator output is 13V, which seems OK so I think I need a new battery. It's not recharging all the way or holding charge to full capacity. I've done a search and found the info for the Duralast battery, which I will get tomorrow. (anyone know the price difference between a Duralast and a BMW battery from the dealer?)

My question is, would low voltage cause the throttle pot to malfunction and throw the code? Where is the throttle potentiometer?