PDA

View Full Version : which shocks?

tnt525i
10-15-2006, 06:42 PM
ok guys, i need you advice here again, this morning i noticed that my front shocks are leaking,, now i remembered hitting an uneven patch of road where they are repaving ( i was doing about 120k) and the front shocks bottomed out, now if this killed the shocks or not is no big deal, heres the info i need:-
now i noticed there are 4 types of performance shocks available'
1 Bilsteins,
2 Bilsteins HD
3 KYB gr2 and
4 KONI adjustables
question number 1 whats the difference in the 2 bilsteins? did anyone here try both so they know how they work?
question number 2, did anyone ever use the KYB? if so how did they work? now i used kyb on my japanese cars and they worked great, but this car is different.
question number 3, anyone ever use the koni adjustables? how did they work? now on my racing car i used konis and they were the best shocks i ever used at that time,, now this was a car i used to race in the early 90's
as usual i appreciate all the great responses you guys are gonna send and thanx in advance.
oh and btw the price difference between the bilsteins and the konis are about 200 dollars, so price dont matter if you were gonna put that in the equation
thanx

Felixdacat
10-15-2006, 07:49 PM
I have the Bilstein sport and BAV spring setup, and it sucks. Next will be Koni's. I just figured you would like to know what setup not to go with.

Jehu
10-15-2006, 08:31 PM
I have the Bilstein sport and BAV spring setup, and it sucks. Next will be Koni's. I just figured you would like to know what setup not to go with.

in what ways does it suck? too stiff? You feel like you've got George Forman in the seat slugging you as you traverse rough pavement?

speeddemon
10-15-2006, 09:44 PM
heres a spec sheet that will help
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/suspensions.htm

from personal experience i like the bilstein sport and the eibach set up, the h&r springs are bit harsh (stiff ride) but everybody has different tastes. So far for kyb i have a couple of friends that would not recommend them, they all use bilstein. hope this helps

angrypancake
10-15-2006, 09:55 PM
from what I've read Koni's are the best you can get.

Jehu
10-15-2006, 09:58 PM
I was at Bavarian Autosport and mentioned your observation which was met with incredulous disdain. He quickly offered Boge/Sachs as the superior option for shocks. Maybe because that is what they sell but i've heard the most convincing opinions supporting that viewpoint.

genphreak
10-15-2006, 10:28 PM
from what I've read Koni's are the best you can get.
For Sport ride height

1). M-Technik/Eibach/Vogtland springs with Koni sports shocks
2). i) H&R and Koni sports or ii) Sashs springs and Sashs Sport shocks (aka 'Sashs kit')

(Consider getting coil-overs, but ride quality/results from this option are not clear (AFAIK).

Sashs is smoothest of all, but the Koni offers adjustability. All the above need M5 bump stops.

If you track the car go 1. Coilovers with reccommended shocks or 2. H&R and Koni, (or you might go Bilstein Sports as they are cheaper and you proly don't care for the ride too much).

For stock ride height / springs

1) Automatic Boge shocks / Koni (non-sports) *
2) KYBs (cheap as chips)
3) Bilstein Tourings
4) Bilstein HDs (too hard)
5) Monroe/AC-Delco generic style replacements

* Consider sashs kit as you get new springs and it won't kill ride quality completely. But it will lower the car substatially.

Options 4 and 5 should be avoided at all costs. Bavauto springs are not referenced as the developer of these springs has never shown his/her/their head/s.

pundit
10-15-2006, 10:29 PM
I have Koni's (Sports) with Eibach Prokit springs and Genuine 'T' Stars fitted with 235/45/17 Michelin PP2's (Pilot Precedas).

Let me say that ride quality is subjective... and becomes subjectively worse as you get older ;).
I can't compare my ride quality with a Bilstein setup but what I can say it's definately a firmer ride than my original stock setup... which was on 15" basketweaves with factory sports suspension. If the Bilstein shocks are even harsher again then I would give them a wide berth.

The Koni/Eibach setup is nice on good roads, but you feel more of everything when the going gets rougher.

I think we all would like stock ride comfort with sports handling but that is asking for the Holy Grail.
The closest thing I've heard of to this is Koni FSD (http://www.koni.com/FSD/index.html) shocks but these are not available for E34's and probably never will be.

genphreak
10-15-2006, 11:03 PM
Very well put. I am going for Koni Sports on next time at the calmest setting, unless I score a sashs kit somehow.

tnt525i
10-16-2006, 04:16 AM
thanx for the replies so far guys, but im staying with the stock springs.
thanx

The Bigfella
10-16-2006, 04:30 AM
I've got the Sachs inserts for the M5 sitting here waiting for new bump stops and boots from BMA (they will be here before the weekend). The strut towers are out of the car.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has reconditioned the original oil-filled Boges out of an M5. I'm tempted to drop them into the 535 if they will fit. I didn't have any major control problems - but had been told by a wanker Indy that my car had two different shocks fitted to the front, so bought new inserts. The only problem I can see with the shocks I pulled out was that the bump stops had crumbled away. No leaks.

Ian

Qube
10-16-2006, 06:44 AM
Though I haven't installed them yet, I'll vote for KONI adjustables. I am waiting for the HDs to die, which according to the posts here, should be soon. I've had them on lowering springs for about 10 months now.

genphreak
10-16-2006, 07:40 AM
Though I haven't installed them yet, I'll vote for KONI adjustables. I am waiting for the HDs to die, which according to the posts here, should be soon. I've had them on lowering springs for about 10 months now.I doubt it. Billies last a hell of a long time. However they can be revalved/adjusted, so you can remove them and take them to Bilstein, ask them to reset them as Sport (but perhaps a little less hard than standard Sports). It would be cheaper. The Bilstein is a very good strong shock in my experience, just a bit too hard when it comes to a road going e34.

genphreak
10-16-2006, 07:44 AM
thanx for the replies so far guys, but im staying with the stock springs. thanxBeware, when you put new shocks on, it will probably rise up like a waffle full of baking soda. Mine went up 2" on stock springs. Before that I thought it was a sweet low-slung ride. Had to get Sport shocks and springs to bring her back to earth :) Nick

tnt525i
10-16-2006, 07:58 AM
Beware, when you put new shocks on, it will probably rise up like a waffle full of baking soda. Mine went up 2" on stock springs. Before that I thought it was a sweet low-slung ride. Had to get Sport shocks and springs to bring her back to earth :) Nick
2 inches????????? wowwww thats alot

Qube
10-16-2006, 08:06 AM
"I doubt it. Billies last a hell of a long time."

I wonder how certain that is. Given the lengthy discussions, the contrary is always the result :(

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
10-16-2006, 08:16 AM
2 inches????????? wowwww thats alot

Bilsteins lift the car noticeably (not 2" though), Konis wont.

genphreak
10-16-2006, 08:57 AM
"I doubt it. Billies last a hell of a long time."

I wonder how certain that is. Given the lengthy discussions, the contrary is always the result :(I am going off a freind of mine's opinion. Altho he worked for Bilstein for some years, he had no axe to grind (he now works for RallySpeed). He used to tweak settings at the track for the race cars, it was a thing that the distributor would do as a part of their sponsorship of the racetrack/competitors.

He said even when they wear out they can just replace the seals and the valves. Not much else goes unless they get physically damaged. I am sure you can do the same with teh Sashs shocks, but the parts would have to be sourced and that might be hard. Erich might know a bit on that front...

tnt525i
10-17-2006, 08:01 PM
thanx for your help guys, i think i'll go with the koni adjustables and keep them at the softest setting.
thanx, much appreciated