PDA

View Full Version : foam under rear speaker covers??

Russell
10-15-2006, 05:27 PM
I just pulled my rear parcel shelf in preperation of redying or recovering. I then pulled the speaker covers. I noticed there was a thin black foam on the underside of the speakers to hide the speakers from view. That foam is falling apart. Does anyone know of a source or replacement? Perhaps someone in the Sound system industry knows. I can alway buy new speaker covers if they are available. Just would rather not. Could not find anything easily in the archives.

Also, my rear speaker system is more complicated that I thought. There is a 4-5 inch speaker and a one inch speaker attached to a plastic box on each side of the car. The box also appears ported. Did the pre 95s have the same type of setup? TIA

Felixdacat
10-15-2006, 06:31 PM
Mine has the same setup. I have an 89 535i. The little speaker is a tweeter, and the other is a 5.25" midbass. This is called a componet setup. I took out the foam. Mine was doing the same. My Infinity Kappa Perfects look pretty good showing under the speaker grills. If you wanted to get a very thin black foam, or black felt and glue it to the cover, that is pretty easy. Use headliner spray, and spray the back of the grill, and then stick whichever material you use to it. Goodluck and have fun..............Felix

Russell
10-15-2006, 06:39 PM
Thanks- know of a source for the foam?

Interesting that the rear speaker set up seems to have been the same on all e34s

Felixdacat
10-15-2006, 07:36 PM
You can find this material on ebay. The user id for the seller is...alstarr1......

His store name is DGECO Foam & Fabric. He has very good prices, and I have dealt with him a couple of times.

The way the BMW engineers setup the speakers in the car has great sound imaging. None of the audio equipment is factory in my car.