PDA

View Full Version : It's time...

sirius_GTO
10-15-2006, 03:56 PM
The shimmy is getting UNBEARABLE. I have a huge alignment issue as well. The car shakes crazy from 45-55. IT does that while im accelerating to that speed as well as stopping. So I need some parts ...

what do I get? How much is labor roughly? Is 300 bucks enough to fix this problem? Thanks a lot.

I've seen some kits on line for the upper/lower control arms and bushings for $200 bucks and I figured installation is around 100. Is this right? Thanks guys.

sirius_GTO
10-15-2006, 04:02 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E34-10-Piece-Control-Arm-Kit-525i-530i-535i-540i-M5_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33583QQihZ015QQitemZ 250038547872QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

this is what I'm looking at. Is it possible to install these yourself?

Jehu
10-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Good luck. I was charged over $750.00 for my OEM Upper Control Arms and 750i bushings installed.. They had trouble getting one of the arms out... I thought roughly what you did,maybe $400.00 tops. i freaked when he said the price.. Mind you he did call me with the quote ahead of time ordering the parts and i learned afterwords he would have used parts i supplied which had i know it i would have gotten from BMA and saved about $300.00.. If you can't do them yourself see if they'll use your parts and get them from BMA(Lemforder arms ,Boge 750i bushings). Who my mechanic ordered his parts from i know not. I asked him if they were coming from the Moon.... he didn't my point... a humorless and unhelpful mechanic is really no help..

sirius_GTO
10-15-2006, 04:15 PM
awesome. Do you know the exact parts I need? What did you think of my link on top there? I would definitely have it done if its around 400 and under. I can't afford to order it oem from the manufacturer. As of now, I think i need upper and lower control arms and bushings.

If he quotes me at a certain price, he can't charge me more at the end without notifying me right? and then i can cancel if I would like? Thanks a lot for the post.

Jehu
10-15-2006, 04:24 PM
No , i can't diagnose your problem without driving the car. Others here have stated their doubts as to the longevity of the items you linked.I have no experience with them so can't say what they meant.I went thru this recently and the strong opinion was Lemforder/Boge are the manufacturers to trust for the arms and bushings. if they make the rest of the parts i don't know .I am tempted to think that ebay package couldn't be all that bad and i sort of feel i wish I'd gotten it.BMA.com sells the Lemforder arms Boge bushings installed for $200.00+shipping. If your Mechanic will diagnose your front end , let you order the parts he tell you it needs then bring it in and credit the diagnostic charge toward the service that'd be a plan.

632 Regal
10-15-2006, 04:27 PM
no no no no no no no.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E34-10-Piece-Control-Arm-Kit-525i-530i-535i-540i-M5_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33583QQihZ015QQitemZ 250038547872QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

this is what I'm looking at. Is it possible to install these yourself?

dont waste yout ime money and effort unless you want to do this all again in a couple months! I redid 4 sets of thrust arms from FCP and they ALL failed in weeks (the thrust arm bushings) The reviews on the other drap went just as well.

First thin you should do is figure out if your tires are out of round and off balance, thats the first starting point. BMAparts have the thrust arms with the *850* bushings for 130 each. The front draglink and steering ends will run about 173.00. the control arms last much longer than the thrust arms so the choice is yours.

Do a search here on "fcp" and see what the consensus is before you 'waste' your money on that crap.

632 Regal
10-15-2006, 04:28 PM
and yes you can do it yourself, need a good quality balljoint separator to get the thrust arms out the steering arm, the rest is easier. I can change the thrust arms in 35 mins a side through the wheel well now.

sirius_GTO
10-15-2006, 04:30 PM
Yeah I've heard bad things about FCP groton as well. I also hear that you should make sure the mechanic sets the full weight of the car onto the wheels before he tightens the arms completely. Is this true as well? Thanks a bunch guys.

sirius_GTO
10-15-2006, 04:37 PM
http://www.bmaparts.com/itemimages/31121141097kit.JPG

is this the part I need? There are so many different control arms there and I'm a total nub. Is the most common problem the upper or lower control arm? Which would I need to replace in a typical shimmy problem? I just need the control arm along with the bushings already pressed in correct?

I'm not sure the difference between the 750il bushings and the rest. Thanks guys.

632 Regal
10-15-2006, 05:39 PM
you have to call or email patrick or Iives to get the lemforder with the 850 bushing installed. This is the most common cause of the shimmt besides tires and balance. any play in any steering part can cause the shimmy but thrust arms are the most likely.

http://www.bmaparts.com/itemimages/31121141097kit.JPG

is this the part I need? There are so many different control arms there and I'm a total nub. Is the most common problem the upper or lower control arm? Which would I need to replace in a typical shimmy problem? I just need the control arm along with the bushings already pressed in correct?

I'm not sure the difference between the 750il bushings and the rest. Thanks guys.

sirius_GTO
10-15-2006, 06:06 PM
hey thanks for the info. Would I need to replace the Thrust arms as well?