PDA

View Full Version : new information on aftermarket stereo upgrade?

everlast
10-15-2006, 12:41 AM
I've owned a few e30s and read a lot about upgrading to an aftermarket deck on this board, other boards and the bmwe34.net site.. and I've concluded that not all e34 stereos are the same.

Simply put, my factory amp does not use common ground inputs, it uses isolated inputs. Its the same situation as the problem that dude on bmwe34.net describes about having to fade to front / rear to get sound. Mine did that too. I had all sorts of trouble, finally trying a PAC and a SVEN4 OEM/line adapter. All failed.

Tonight, I tested the input wires (which struck me as odd as the amp has 4 negative input wires). As I suspected, none are common to each other nor are they grounded.

Next, I hooked up the factory deck with power, and used it to drive a speaker directly. Also worked fine.

So either my 'amp' is not an amp at all, simply a crossover, or my amp has isolated inputs. In either case, I've not seen this situation on the board anywhere.

My deck is now running great simply hooked up from speaker outputs, all eight wires.

Hope this helps someone else in the future.
Jay

PS. I have a JVC deck that has the color option to change the display to any color. I took the face apart and painting the surround and plastic SEM black. It looks pretty badass. :)

PSS. I was brave / foolish to try the deck hooked up this way. It worked, but could have smoked the deck. Your mileage may vary. Proceed with caution.

fujioko
10-15-2006, 07:58 AM
Your amp…. It has the 12 pin and 24 pin connectors?. Anyway I’m sure by eliminating the BMW amp and driving the speakers directly would work, however the sound would be less than perfect.

Dose your car have eight speakers or ten?

I took the long road to get the stereo system working again. Sony HU with a Blaupunkt electronic crossover. The Blapunkut feeds two 4ch 400W power amps and one 2ch 200W amp. A total of ten powered output. The system is still being put together.

I’m waiting for the 400W amps to arrive.

When finished the system would then need to be tuned using a frequency spectrum analyzer…. Yikes!

An audio buddy of mine has the tuning equipment.

My simple radio replacement has really gone overboard…and over budget.

(1) Sony HU $130.00
(1) Sony Ipod adapter $50.00
(1) Blaupunkt electronic crossover unit $50.00 (EBAY!!!! Includes shipping!)
(2) BOSS 4 channel 400W amps $105.00 (EBAY!!!! Includes shipping)
(1) Rockford /Fosgate 2 channel 200W amp FREE
(28) gold RCA connectors, Shielded wire, hookup wire, terminal blocks, Plywood, grey felt and random crap…$$$ <- I don’t want to know

everlast
10-15-2006, 10:40 AM
I didn't eliminate the amp. I'm still using the BMW amp. What I'm saying is that all the posts / articles about the stereo suggest that you must use only the + wires from your deck, and float the negative. That didn't work, not did using a line adapter, nor did connecting via RCA.

I hooked the aftermarket deck up exactly as the factory deck was hooked up in the dash, no exceptions. It works perfectly. I've never seen anyone do this, and I'm not sure why. :p

acidfire52
10-16-2006, 10:53 AM
Yah know, I think mine is the same way. I have not looked real close yet..
My car came with an Alpine deck alrady in it. I replaced with my Pioneer, all it had behind the deck was a wire harness. Ran all my speaker wires, + and - and plays fine. Looked at my amp once, has a ton of wires on it. Need to look more in depth.