PDA

View Full Version : Need a brake answer

Black 535i
10-14-2006, 04:58 PM
My emergency brake cable snapped a week ago and now the car does not hold well on inclines. I have looked on parts sites and cannot find a price for this. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on the part and the repair? What is involved in doing this by one's self if anyone has the experience.

Thanks in advance.

danzee
10-14-2006, 06:45 PM
FWIW the ETK, which is a few years old, says:
HAND BRAKE BOWDEN CABLE P/N 34411162005 $37.67
It's probably a few dollars more now. But that's list, and I suppose you'll get a BMW CCA member discount (not a member?). I recommend the BMW Store in Ohio for mail order.
Never did this job so I can't help with the task estimate.

632 Regal
10-14-2006, 07:36 PM
email bmaparts, get the part number from realoem.com

My emergency brake cable snapped a week ago and now the car does not hold well on inclines. I have looked on parts sites and cannot find a price for this. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on the part and the repair? What is involved in doing this by one's self if anyone has the experience.

Thanks in advance.

Karl
10-14-2006, 08:53 PM
Replaced the parking brake cables on my old E12 car shortly after I got it. E34 looks similar. That's been a while, but I can't remember anything wierd or unusual about the job. Detach the top end of the cables just by backing off nuts on the cable ends under the brake lever. You pull off the rear disks to get access to unhook the other end of the cable from the brake mechanism there. I think the biggest pain was getting the boot back around the brake lever.

Black 535i
10-15-2006, 05:55 AM
Being 32 F outside nowadays in Chicago and with an unheated garage, I will be letting my mechanic take care of this rather than rolling around on a concrete floor on my own. Thanks.