PDA

View Full Version : Rear end question for the pros

CamaroM60
10-14-2006, 09:41 AM
Hey Buddies,

I juz joined da forum. Apart from there beeing so much potential in theez carz, my step-dad has juz left to goto Asia for 12 months to setup a new company. He's left me wid da keyz to the carz n garage, so I'm gonna use em. He's got a 540i and a 645i. First thing I'm gonna do is clean up my diff, but here's a pic before I get polishing. Do ya reckon it will handle more powa than the current 350 Chev? I waz thinkin it'd go reeel good if I swap the drivetrain from my pop's 540i (itz a 6 speed and I just drove it down to the shops for Mom, that damn thing pulled 90mph in 2nd gear before I got to the intersection. He's really looked after it and mebbe made some mods, its done only 24,000miles so iz liek a great ride, nothing like any car I've been in be4.

This is a good 20mph faster than my Camaro, so it got me 2 thinkin'; perhaps stick the BMW engin in the Camaro and see if itz any good as I can take it to the track and do a whole lot betta than I have wid da Chev.

Will it be hard to do? I got the Chev put in by the shop down the road but I reckon that swapping the 540 engine and transmission will be easy. My only worrie iz dat the Diff won't take the powa! Here'z a pic so u can see, its stock but da mechanic I know sed he had da gears titanium coated so it should be a bit stronger inside, but maybe not as I want to do a lot of driftin', especially at the McDonald's drive-thru near me, it goes off on Sat night!

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m130/CamaroM60/RearEnd.jpg

Full on I reckon it'll be 20% more powa, so therefore maybe I shouldn't botha polishin' and just get on wid the engine swap, if da diff blows (I'm running 24" rims so da torque is fully maximizzzzzed u know) yea bros its big Nm and could need to get a new diff mebbe I juz go hard on this one and be ready to buy a new one? Haz anyone used a Camaro Diff in a BMW before?

SnakeyesTx
10-14-2006, 09:51 AM
HAHAHAHA, are you for real?

CamaroM60
10-14-2006, 10:00 AM
HAHAHAHA, are you for real?Yea I juz don't want to swap everything over, u know- I want to be able to get it all back in2 dad's car be4 he gets back. If he findz out I bin messin wid his car, he'll get a bit pissed at me, he doesn't let Mom drive da carz, sed I was only to take em to the shops for Mom. But I am sure itz OK to use da garage, so this should be ok. He's got lotz of toolz and alwayz said I cud use em anytime.... :) Cam

Russell
10-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Try standard english please. BTW, it is not good to mess with your dad's cars without permission. Things will go wrong.

CamaroM60
10-14-2006, 10:07 AM
Try standard english please.
WTF r u talking bout bro...

CamaroM60
10-14-2006, 10:09 AM
WTF r u talking bout bro...iz dare anyone on dis forum from there (Englain)? Iz this not right wot I write?

SnakeyesTx
10-14-2006, 10:11 AM
Well... honestly then, about the rear axle, if you really wanted to do that, you're basically asking "Can one put a solid axle in a car that has an indipendant rear?" The answer is yes, and no. Yes it can be done if you want to throw a ton of money, tools, parts and time at it (literally). You'd have to redesign the rear of the car to accept a completely new type of suspension, braketry, brake line system, driveshaft, the works basically. Its not worth it. If you're not happy with the rear gears, get new ones. If you're afraid of the torque output on the rear cv axles, get Indy-grade ones (they're about 1000 bucks a piece).

As for the motor, it would be like painting a house with fire. Up front you're looking at custom everything as well. Motor mounts, transmission mounts, adapters, wiring harness (painless wiring 12-circuit), Fuel delivery system, custom dash gauges, linkages, radiators, probably different steering and suspension since the rack would get in the way of an SBC pan.

Did I mention welding, grinding, wiring and the hundreds of cuts and bruises along the way? :D

IT ain't worth it, and to top it off, it would take about a year to design, fab, and install it anyway. If you want a fast bimmer to do a transplant on, your best option would be to buy a roller at a yard, then start from scratch. It'll take about 20-30k, about 3 or 4 years to get it "just the way you want it" if you're going to do it right and take it seriously. I'm not 100% sure of your mechanical aptitude, but these things aren't legos, and its not simply a matter of "pull this, attach this."

You can find rollers (basically a rolling body without engine and trans) sometimes on e-bay, www.collectorcartraderonline.com, and craigslist. Again, about the rear, its designed well, and solid-axle would prop the ass-end of the car WAY to high making it look pretty retarded.

Kobe Diesel
10-14-2006, 10:18 AM
I think this is all a gag.

Fetch
10-14-2006, 10:20 AM
I think this is all a gag.

nah, it's pretty common to swap out the drivetrain from your dad's car into yours while he's on vacation, and then polish your differential afterwards

angrypancake
10-14-2006, 10:21 AM
it's the Aussies again, they've been drinking.

CamaroM60
10-14-2006, 10:23 AM
Thanks snakeyez Budd yea its not so easy agreed, not like lego. But i was always into mechano aneway, so I know what I'm doin wid metal n stuff. I've been working on my own car for weeks now... tis stuff ain't that hard, u make it sound like its past de average owner. I have all the tools, can take things off and have some glue and stuff jic I break anething. I don't want a solid diff, cos I want der car 2 be able to handle still u know. Her's a pic of der brakes, I updated them myself, and its all good of course, except whenever I have to stop the rear slides out.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m130/CamaroM60/CamWheel.jpg

But it drifts heaps better now since I did them. I used fully syntehitic oil to fill up the brake resovoir. It's still bedding in so there is a small delay on da brakes until they start to work. But they are not worn through yet.... might take a few weeks.

Fetch
10-14-2006, 10:28 AM
no putting a bmw engine in a camero isn't like legos at all, you'll need the 'glue' for sure...

CamaroM60
10-14-2006, 10:29 AM
Yea since the brakes weren't coming on much I drilled the rotors too. New ones were like 29 bux each! Dad's drill worked okay tho, I thin they work harder now, but won't know roa few more weeks until they wear thru for sure. Anyway, yea I don't wanna put the Camaro diff in the BMW, I wanna put the BMW running gear in teh Camaro u know, so it will go faster. Also teh Chev is real complex wid a computer n stuff, the BMW is much simpler, looks liek its all solid bits I can undo and swap easily.

Fetch
10-14-2006, 10:32 AM
it's a good thing you used synthetic fluid, since you home drilled the rotors. you know your stuff, have you considered putting both engines in one car? One driving the front wheels? I'd at least consider that idea

Kobe Diesel
10-14-2006, 10:43 AM
Im sorry but this is all too funny to try and take seriously!

CamaroM60
10-14-2006, 10:44 AM
i wanted too, but the weight balance is very easy to upset in a pickup. Yea the syntehtic oil is the good stuff, 0W-40 and I use it everything. I have some duct tape btw; it'll help the glue to dry be4 I go to bed. Not that I broke anything yet, just lookin for good advice from the pros on here.

Fetch
10-14-2006, 10:46 AM
I actually use gearbox oil for my brakes, always have, always will. It makes the brakes feel great. I use masking tape over duct tape, it's cheaper.

632 Regal
10-14-2006, 10:50 AM
The host name is: CPE-60-229-72-81.nsw.bigpond.net.au.

definetly the aussies...
it's the Aussies again, they've been drinking.

E34 530
10-14-2006, 10:55 AM
its fukem5's little sister!!!

mikell
You gotta get a Turbonator, fuel line magnets, an electric supercharger, super mileage pills, and do not forget to install performance muffler bearings and synthetic halogen fluid. Man, that would be one tough ride.

mikell
And TO HELL WITH POLISHING!!!

Dave M
10-14-2006, 11:01 AM
The host name is: CPE-60-229-72-81.nsw.bigpond.net.au.

definetly the aussies...

Dono nuttin bout fancy bigpond #s n'stuff, but Camaro's b-day is April 1. We gots to member to send a bag o' dog **** :) Make sure we also member they a day or two behind us.

632 Regal
10-14-2006, 11:01 AM
all the Aussies have the same IP address or server, matty and gen, it will be a little harder to ID who it "really" is. They are all using the same computer today LOL... Only they know who the camaro dude is, if it isnt ALL of them.

Dave M
10-14-2006, 11:03 AM
all the Aussies have the same IP address or server, matty and gen, it will be a little harder to ID who it "really" is. They are all using the same computer today LOL... Only they know who the camaro dude is, if it isnt ALL of them.

I thought there was only ONE computer over there. Sort of a timeshare thing.

Kobe Diesel
10-14-2006, 11:18 AM
You gotta get a Turbonator, fuel line magnets, an electric supercharger, super mileage pills, and do not forget to install performance muffler bearings and synthetic halogen fluid. Man, that would be one tough ride.

dont forget the flux capacitor, whithout that all those upgrades are useless

angrypancake
10-14-2006, 11:44 AM
Dono nuttin bout fancy bigpond #s n'stuff, but Camaro's b-day is April 1. We gots to member to send a bag o' dog **** :) Make sure we also member they a day or two behind us.

can't hate on April 1st bdays....

Sweetwater
10-14-2006, 01:02 PM
This is the best belly laugh I've had all week.......

Tanks mon........

CamaroM60
10-14-2006, 04:34 PM
Well OK guys I don't know what you are on about, but I've started gettin ready.

So far, I have painted the motor a sweeet shade of purple. Its hi-temp lacquer that promotez heat flo cos I am thinking I'll run it on 100% ethanol in order to maximise the output. Will teh ECU handle it? I don't wanna blo it up as I said I have to put it all back in the BMW be4 dad comes back...

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m130/CamaroM60/IMG_3918.jpg
what do you think? Should match my new paint job alright. I have a sweet decal for the rocker cover of the babe on the bonnet. 'Cept in this pic she's not wearin' anything... :) juz wen u thought the motor was hot enough, bang! She hitz u in both eye sockets when I lift the hood, full sic awww I can't wait to take this driftin' at McDonald's and around the place people will spin man they're gonna spin... yea sic this is the baddest. You guyz juz can't believe it huh? I bet u've never seen NEthing like dis, eva! No way man, Yea Cam's got it all happenin' over here. I'll ask my mate to come and video it today, this iz gonna go down in historee man, the baddest mofo moto mods of ALL TIME!!! Stay tuned bros...

CamaroM60
10-14-2006, 04:45 PM
**** man there's some dirt under the lacquer cos I forgot to wash the 'bay down when I painted that lacquer on. When I went to the shopz yesterday, I took a little detour on teh way home to dad's new shopping centre site- its still all dirt 'n **** but I had the keyz and was keen to see how well the bimmer went sidewayz. Last time I did that on the street at home the cops came and arrested me at home, somehting about knowing where I lived but hahahah man they couldn't get me in the end my dad's lawyer told em str8: Man you didn't catch him so you cna't prove beyond feasible doubt that he was driving the car... NEwayz man funny huh but I don't wanna tempt fate whislt dad's away, jail sucks and Dad's lawyer wanted a blo job from my sista for getting me off. I told him he could have her juz as soon as she screws up and needs his help. NE wayz she'z real dumb and thinkz I'm stoopid too. LMAO she's always on about other people being stoopid, eh, even mom and dad's lawyer the other morning when he came round to help mmom get out of bed.

NEwayz- I gotta get the lacquer off now, clean and redo it. It sez itz acryllic ****, so it should spray off wid water huh

Paul in NZ
10-14-2006, 04:48 PM
i warned y,all here! (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=26840)

Bimmerman
10-14-2006, 04:53 PM
Whats up with blaming us poor Aussies on some bizzare conspiracy theory against the board? All lies and propaganda I tell you... :)

Russell
10-14-2006, 05:15 PM
This a a bad Joke. At least I hope it is. Anyway last post as I have other things to do.

bullyd
10-14-2006, 05:26 PM
man u wanna leave it in the e34 shell fit hyperods etc and a super wide arch c/f bodykit!

CamaroM60
10-14-2006, 05:26 PM
This a a bad Joke. At least I hope it is. Anyway last post as I have other things to do.Yea, the can sed acryllic. The paint won't come off... I've tried sprayin it all with water . I'm gonna get some hot water now, maybe that will take it off. Has anyone remove 'Very Hi Temp auto paint" be4? I'll really be in **** if my Pop comez home and findz his engin bay is purple, he'll know it waz me awww #$%! I'm really @$% up if this damn acryllic won't come off. Acryllic is freaking water-based isn't it? Sheetska! If anyonez got any ideaz lemme know quick hey...

CamaroM60
10-14-2006, 05:30 PM
man u wanna leave it in the e34 shell fit hyperods etc and a super wide arch c/f bodykit!Nahhh man the idea is to make the Camaro go as good as Dad's car eh... I've ordered a racing harness and a parachute on eBay yesterday, so speed won't be a problem. Do ya know how to get acryliic hi temp paint off bro? It won't budge. I shouldn't have painted the motor, should have put it in and kept the hood closed- tell everyone the thing iz a secret eh

Paul in NZ
10-14-2006, 05:34 PM
Go down to mitre ten and get some paint stripper.

CamaroM60
10-14-2006, 05:44 PM
Go down to mitre ten and get some paint stripper.
Yea hey good idea bro. The hot water isn't workin', I just boiled the kettle and poured it on da mota but nothin came off eh. Will strippa take the BMW paint off tho? Or would i have to put it on twice to do take off the layer undaneath? Well anyway, itz on now, I might take it off l8ta, my matez comin' soon to help me swap the engin over. He's gonna paint the bonnet again once its done I cna ask him what to do about the purple bay I guess he'z a wiz wid paint n ****, u should seee the bonnet when its done huh.

OK I betta get organised 4 the swap. If NEone can give me some tipz it'd be great. So far I have planned to;

Get the M60 out o da 540i (I have some of dad's 17mm spannaz)
Mount it in the Camaro (Got some blocks of wood here at the ready to rest it on wilst I work out where to bolt it up).
Fit my Mallory ignition
Connect
up the rest and take it for a drift

Can't be so hard really, and this time teh cops won't be able to catch me huh MWAHAHAHAAAHAHAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

bullyd
10-14-2006, 05:44 PM
easy to remove acrilic paint! lighter fluid, or if thats unavailable regular gas!but be sure the sparkplug is removed from at least 1 cylinder on each bank before trying to start her up or you run the risk of the knocking rods catching the giggling pins and sending the laughing shaft out of sync

632 Regal
10-14-2006, 06:36 PM
because you are the 4th that has posted with the same ip? :D

Whats up with blaming us poor Aussies on some bizzare conspiracy theory against the board? All lies and propaganda I tell you... :)

CamaroM60
10-14-2006, 07:00 PM
because you are the 4th that has posted with the same ip? :DMy IQ is nothin to do wid u bro. Stick to your own League.

CamaroM60
10-14-2006, 07:03 PM
No way bro. The hot water looks like it warped teh plastic cover adn mum freaked cos she came n found the kettle in da garage. But she didn't see the purple engine... :D that';s ok tho, I think I'll be able to get the purple off. Mebbe if I paint it black instead dad won't notice NEway hey...

632 Regal
10-14-2006, 07:34 PM
you can probably bend it back into shape by heating it with a torch and applying force. Dont spray paint it while using the torch though...

No way bro. The hot water looks like it warped teh plastic cover adn mum freaked cos she came n found the kettle in da garage. But she didn't see the purple engine... :D that';s ok tho, I think I'll be able to get the purple off. Mebbe if I paint it black instead dad won't notice NEway hey...

CamaroM60
10-14-2006, 07:51 PM
you can probably bend it back into shape by heating it with a torch and applying force. Dont spray paint it while using the torch though...I don't think this will work, but thanks for da advice. I can paint and weld at the same time and no that its not good to do this. I think ur jez bein smart, bro I got no time to mess about, I have to fabricate some lightweight engine mounts cos the M60 is coming out soon... l8r bro

CamaroM60
10-14-2006, 08:32 PM
OK so I've juz been huntin for some brackets to mouint the M60 in da Chevy bay. These look okay to handle 1000HP I reckon, so I'm gonna use 4 of them. Gonna head back to my dorm now and get my dremmel so I can make em fit. You fellas jez hang on, we should have this engine in today.... can't wait to go driftin'!!!!!!!!
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m130/CamaroM60/EngineBrackets.jpg

Fetch
10-14-2006, 08:40 PM
getting a little old

CamaroM60
10-14-2006, 08:55 PM
getting a little oldYea but I';ll polish em up alright. I have a rule on my pickup, if it goes on I polish it first :) It all lookz like NEW.

632 Regal
10-14-2006, 09:00 PM
what is FKO exhaust or should I use my imagination?

yes this thread is getting old, if its bothering you dont read it. Just some drunk Aussies having a laugh fest...let them party.

just beer guys?

Fetch
10-14-2006, 09:14 PM
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

CamaroM60
10-14-2006, 09:19 PM
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeweeewaaaa. Borat liiiikes this thread- have u guys seen that film, its jez priceless. My Dremmel ain't workin on the mounts, so I found this big cutting disk. But now one of the metal bits is embedded in the wall about 10' up n I can't get it out... this is harda than I thought, but I'll be right soon I think. NEone not busy wanna come n give me a hand?

Fetch
10-14-2006, 09:25 PM
'is niiiiiiiiiccee

632 Regal
10-14-2006, 09:27 PM
Ill be right over, any beers left for me or should I just pick up a keg to make sure we dont run out? Call me on my cell for directions, 1-911-jac-koff

Zeppa
10-14-2006, 09:37 PM
lol , nice Commodore Ute in your sig CamaroM60 :)

mikell
10-15-2006, 10:38 AM
Getto boyz in OZ? Plueeze.

Yah, it's time to shoot this old hoss.