PDA

View Full Version : Advice wanted: Oil is overfilled

Badshift
04-12-2004, 05:29 PM
Hi,

My oil was overfilled since my last oil change. It has been 3 months since it was changed and I have gathered 5000km on my car since then. I checked the oil level after letting the car rest overnight.

Does overfilled oil cause engine damage? Or if not, what kind of damage?

Please advise.

Thanks.

1995 E34 530i/5sp manual

dave b
04-12-2004, 05:42 PM
It could, but it would have to be significantly overfilled. Too much oil causes the oil to froth instead of lubricating properly.

Hop under the car, drain a little bit, then check the level later. Wear latex gloves to avoid completely ruingin your manicure.

632 Regal
04-12-2004, 07:52 PM
It could, but it would have to be significantly overfilled. Too much oil causes the oil to froth instead of lubricating properly.

Hop under the car, drain a little bit, then check the level later. Wear latex gloves to avoid completely ruingin your manicure.

Javier
04-12-2004, 10:20 PM
nt

Rick L
04-12-2004, 10:25 PM
I overfilled the oil by one quart too much while back. It wasn't a BMW but same difference. I started to have an oil leak from the top of the engine. I swear it started to leak from the oil cap... Not sure... I could smell the oil burn from hitting the hot exhaust. I drained some oil and the leak stopped.

Rick L

Hi,

My oil was overfilled since my last oil change. It has been 3 months since it was changed and I have gathered 5000km on my car since then. I checked the oil level after letting the car rest overnight.

Does overfilled oil cause engine damage? Or if not, what kind of damage?

Please advise.

Thanks.

1995 E34 530i/5sp manual