PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Bought E39 wheels, but they are really close to the car.

CharlesAFerg
10-13-2006, 09:53 PM
Well, They were installed and they were rubbing inside on some suspension part.

They were really sucked in form what it looked like, and don't our cars have the offset of like 25mm or something? These are like 40mm.

The hubcentric rings weren't needed, and the wheels needed spacers on the front to stop the rubbing. I think I will put some spacers on the rear as well because they don't look right at all (really close to the car)

Any ideas, are these Even E39 wheels??? Heres a pic... 17x7 40mm offset
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h9/CharlesAFerg/IMG_1057.jpg

GoldenOne
10-13-2006, 10:13 PM
hmmm...i dont recall ever seeing those on e39's but who knows maybe euro version???

CharlesAFerg
10-13-2006, 10:46 PM
hmmm...i dont recall ever seeing those on e39's but who knows maybe euro version???

Exactly, what do you think these came from? The guy "said" E39, but I'm starting to think it was from something else, what has a fitting that, if put an an E34, would fit this way. Like I said, this has an offset of like 40mm so it rubs on the inside and looks like it's sucked into the car pretty far.

17x7 40mm offset

Paul in NZ
10-13-2006, 10:59 PM
if anything they are 3 series wheels.Our cars std offset is 20mm but 15 to 25 is allright.This must be one of the most talked about things here,offset, hub diameter and o/a wheel diameter.Dont use spacers get rid of them and get wheels with the right offset .

Yiorgos
10-13-2006, 11:38 PM
I had a quick look through the BMW-Treff website that has all BMW rims, and couldn't find your rim. Some close ones, but not exactly the same -- in conclusion, your rims could a) be one of the few that they don't have pics for yet, or b) are non-BMW.

SnakeyesTx
10-13-2006, 11:48 PM
Looks like something from a 3-series. The mounting flange is really close to the "face" of the rim. Ours are definitely more inset.

e34musician
10-14-2006, 12:27 AM
I'm about to ask a very similar question. Will E39 wheels fit our E34?

I found this on my local craiglist (see the wheel picture in the website below)

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pts/220350364.html

Seems like a good deal. Will they fit E34? Thanks guys.

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-14-2006, 12:41 AM
A buddy had a deal on a set of wheels and tires off a Z3.

Same problem 35 to 40 mm offset. Way too much space for me!

E39 wheel offset should be okay, but you'll need hub centric rings

Paul in NZ
10-14-2006, 01:09 AM
huncentric ring required because the e39 is the correct offset but for some reason the e39 has a different hub diameter than the e34.Most every other 5,6 7 or 8 series fits our cars with no mods
look here and save this site too (http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/wheels_upgrade.htm)

CharlesAFerg
10-14-2006, 02:57 AM
huncentric ring required because the e39 is the correct offset but for some reason the e39 has a different hub diameter than the e34.Most every other 5,6 7 or 8 series fits our cars with no mods
look here and save this site too (http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/wheels_upgrade.htm)

I think I explained myself above, lol that's not the problem.

I obviously read that but the guy lied about what car they were from.
Pisses me off.

angrypancake
10-14-2006, 04:01 AM
e39 wheels will fit 34 with hubcentiric thingies, they're $4 each from tire rack. 3 seires wheels will fit with big ass spacers. 20mm or so. not the smartest idea, but they will work ok.

CharlesAFerg
10-14-2006, 09:27 AM
e39 wheels will fit 34 with hubcentiric thingies, they're $4 each from tire rack. 3 seires wheels will fit with big ass spacers. 20mm or so. not the smartest idea, but they will work ok.

I understand it's not good to have the spacers, but can someone describe exactly why? Just so if I do choose this option I will understand when something is going wrong or not and what exactly is happening.

CharlesAFerg
10-14-2006, 11:38 PM
I understand it's not good to have the spacers, but can someone describe exactly why? Just so if I do choose this option I will understand when something is going wrong or not and what exactly is happening.

Seriously I actually need to know what i need to put on the car to make them fit, or exactly why it's not good to have wheels like this on the car.
Thanks!

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-15-2006, 12:58 AM
big ass spacers....

They are made and can be bought....but beware.

unless you only drive parade routes on Sunday or have a schedule for wheel inspection, I'd avoid big ass spacers...one more thing to fix.

CharlesAFerg
10-15-2006, 12:29 PM
lol goddamnit...
I'm just gonna ask someone else.

Nobody says why, just that it's BAD.

why will my wheels fall off after a certain amount of time, not long enough studs??

SnakeyesTx
10-15-2006, 12:39 PM
Those should fit. It's basically a 16 inch version of the basketweave updated. The offset looks the same too.

calmloki
10-15-2006, 12:41 PM
You will need longer studs for $ure - if the original studs reach through the spacers to the rotor hats at all they will only be holding by a thread or two - you're just gonna hate that moment when you see your wheel(s) pass you before the car drops. BTDT. Course it will probably come loose under stress - ever try cornering on a rotor? By adding spacers and centering rings you are increasing the # of places your wheels can be off center and misaligned: major potential for wheel wobble. Dats why.
Tom

lol goddamnit...

why will my wheels fall off after a certain amount of time, not long enough studs??

DueyT
10-15-2006, 02:28 PM
lol goddamnit...

Chalres, from an engineering standpoint, the spaces provide two interfaces for tolerances to go wrong, instead of the regular one interface.

BMW wheels are all "hub-centric", meaning the wheel's axial centering (i.e. in-line with the axel's extended centerline) is maintained through contact between a raised radius on the hub, and a matching machined surface on the inner mounting surface of the wheel. The bolts simply hold the wheel to the hub, they provide no centering effect (unlike non-hubcentric wheels where the bolts or nuts actually maintain positioning and alignment of the wheel to the hub.)

On a standard (proper) offset wheel (E34, E39 (with hubcentric rings to "shim" between the smaller radius of the hub and the larger radius of the relief machined in the mounting surface of the wheel proper, thus maintaining proper axial alignment), E32, etc...) there is only alignment-critical contact between hub and wheel. With spacers (which also have to have hubcentric-machining BTW) there is contact from hub to spacer, then between spacer and wheel. There is always some tolerance for play, but in this case, you've doubled the potential mis-alignment, and that is more likely to cause overall alignment problems and unwanted vibrations.

Cheers,
Duey

Alan_525i
10-15-2006, 02:38 PM
I've also heard that longer lug bolts and spacers put more stress on your wheel bearings leading to shorter replacement intervals.

CharlesAFerg
10-15-2006, 07:07 PM
I've also heard that longer lug bolts and spacers put more stress on your wheel bearings leading to shorter replacement intervals.

Thanks guys! They're going on craigslist tomorrow lol

Paul in NZ
10-16-2006, 12:45 AM
good on ya...a hard lesson learned? :)

CharlesAFerg
10-16-2006, 01:20 AM
good on ya...a hard lesson learned? :)

Well not that bad, the guy I bought them from lied about them(Said they were 01 E39 wheels). I only got them for like $550 all four with brand new studless winter tires.
Not bad at all. SO I'll sell them and start again. It's just an inconvenience.

CharlesAFerg
10-16-2006, 01:57 AM
http://www.tirerack.com/servlet/CallJsp?target=wheelSearchCloseUp&wheelIndex=12&sizeIndex=0&showRear=no&setIndex=5&filterSize=17&filterFinish=&filterSpecial=

What is your opinion on those?
"Sport Edition F6"
$98 ea
from tire rack

Paul in NZ
10-16-2006, 04:26 AM
We're sorry. We closed your session for your security/privacy.

Registered Users:
Return to our home page and you will be recognized. You can then have access to all your saved vehicles, wish lists, etc.

Non-Registered Users:
You may need to re-select your vehicle if you were viewing search results. Please return to our home page.

pmlmotorsports
10-16-2006, 12:19 PM
they're not factory BMW wheels................they are OZ wheels I believe. The little rectangular cut-outs are where the OZ logos are glued.......and yes, they are much to offest and in my opinion, too narrow at only 7" wide. So while they can work with H&R wheel spacers (10mm), you will be limitied to a 225/50-17 or 235/45-17 tire. Sorry for the bad news

CharlesAFerg
10-16-2006, 02:10 PM
We're sorry. We closed your session for your security/privacy.

Registered Users:
Return to our home page and you will be recognized. You can then have access to all your saved vehicles, wish lists, etc.

Non-Registered Users:
You may need to re-select your vehicle if you were viewing search results. Please return to our home page.

"What is your opinion on those?
"Sport Edition F6"
$98 ea
from tire rack"

VentoGT
10-17-2006, 02:12 PM
I think the E1 Sport Editions look better...really should have something with a lip for these cars though--the lip on the rear wheel just looks proper on these cars...