PDA

View Full Version : SOT: Mystery Audio Track While At This Site

DigitalRelay
10-13-2006, 05:16 PM
Anyone else notice a mystery audio track repeating about once every 5-6 minutes while at this site? A robotic voice says "preview" which is followed by about 5 seconds of a woman who is evidently, uh, enjoying herself. I've noticed this over the last few days, and it only seems to happen when I'm at this site. I don't see any Flash ads, and a quick search through the page code found no embedded audio files.

Then again, maybe it's something completely unrelated. Or perhaps I'm losing my mind.

stu1
10-13-2006, 05:23 PM
Nothing here. Spyware maybe?

DigitalRelay
10-13-2006, 05:25 PM
Nothing here. Spyware maybe?
I'm on a Mac, so spyware is doubtful (but admittedly not impossible).

genphreak
10-13-2006, 06:58 PM
I'm on a Mac, so spyware is doubtful (but admittedly not impossible).It's an IE 'feature' I would expect. A fusion of class code and superb technology from the brain of someone that doesn't take kindly to peer review, the type that provides realease after release that is fundamentally flawed and only fixed when it becomes painfully obvious to blind Freddy and all the other MCSEs out there what is going on, as some bored hacker finally cares to tells one of them.

genphreak
10-13-2006, 07:07 PM
Spyware is a distinct possibility, all browsers have exploited vulnerabilities. It is just that IE is one of the most 'feature rich' in this respect.

Spasso
10-13-2006, 09:29 PM
My buddy got me away from IE and started using Mozilla Firefox with Thunderbird email. I have had minimal intrusions since.

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-13-2006, 09:31 PM
but mine is saying "kill kill kill"

I think my medication is wearing off

Yiorgos
10-13-2006, 10:04 PM
Ads?

I have had this before in Safari (I also use a Mac), turned out it was a banner/popup ad that had a backing track. Thing was, that this popup was placed on my screen in a way that I couldn't get at it, but when I used Expose it showed up, but I still couldn't close it.

All I had to do was relaunch Safari and I was back to normal.

E34-520iSE
10-14-2006, 04:21 AM
I too use a Mac, with Mozilla as browser. I have had no problems with pop-ups etc. Ditch the Microplop IE and your problem will (hopefully) disappear.
Yiorgos, what OS are you using?

Cheers,

Shaun

Running OS 10.3 on an iMac G3. A Micro$oft free zone!

DigitalRelay
10-14-2006, 08:17 AM
Stopped using IE years ago. Currently using Safari as my main browser. I tried to recreate the problem using Firefox, but it wouldn't happen. I then went back to Safari, and it has not happened since. Weird.

Yiorgos
10-14-2006, 12:23 PM
I am using OS X 10.4.8 on a PowerBook G4 1.67GHz with 1.5GB RAM.

It must be noted that Microsoft Internet Explorer for Mac is wildly different from Microsoft Internet Explorer for Windows, they were written from two (almost) completely different code bases. Holes in IE for Windows can be different from holes in IE for Mac.

Granted, IE for Mac is a complete piece of ****, the only time I use it is to log into my shitty modem when it's **** itself and I have to reset it and put back in all my settings.

DigitalRelay, I would think that some other site had placed a hidden pop-up (Safari doesn't catch them all!) with all those sounds etc, and when you closed Safari it would have closed this pop-up too. Reopening it and coming back to bimmer.info wouldn't make the sounds come back, since you probably didn't visit the site that the sounds are really coming from.

Also note that the only ads on this site are Google Adsense ads, which don't employ pop-ups, background sounds or any Flash animations.