PDA

View Full Version : Torx head stripped on Tranny

MagicMike
10-13-2006, 11:45 AM
I am in the process of removing the Tranny from my 1994 530i 5spd. I ended up stripping on of the torx bolts. Do any of you have any idea how I can take it off? I just need in to come off so I could but all new bolts.

Thanks,

Mike

Fetch
10-13-2006, 11:48 AM
you could use a dremel to cut a notch in it maybe

yaofeng
10-13-2006, 11:55 AM
I don't envy your position presuming you did this in car. There may not be sufficient access. Which bolt is it?

If slotting the head is not possible, is cutting the head completely off possible? That maybe your only option left.

Or do you want to remove the engine and the transmission as a unit?

Dave M
10-13-2006, 11:59 AM
All depends where on the tranny they're located. Be a hell of a time getting access to the top bolts in order to try grabbing with vice grips etc. Other than trying to dremel a notch, you could dremel the head right off (carefull of the aluminum bell houseing) and can spin them out when you remove the tranny. There should be ample bolt remaining to get a hold of, at least there is on my ZF.

Good luck with it,

Dave M

Ross
10-13-2006, 12:30 PM
Try heat if you can get in there without torching the car. A sometimes successful method for me is to hammer in another bit or tool, this assumes room to do so. Hammering around the perimeter with a SHARP chisel sometimes works too if the bolt isn't super tight.
A smokewrench is your best friend.

632 Regal
10-13-2006, 01:16 PM
WTF is a smokewrench? went to their site but it wont load.

SnakeyesTx
10-13-2006, 02:36 PM
Can you get a drill down there? Make the hole deeper (not wider) and simply use PB Blaster and an easy-out bit.

MagicMike
10-13-2006, 04:35 PM
Hey guys thanks for all of your input. Luckily, it is not one of the top bolts. It is sort of half way up. There is not much space so I might try to use a vise grip, if not then Ill just cut the whole damn head off. Thanks again guys. I'll go home early from work today so I can start on it.

Thanks,

Tiger
10-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Use next size up torx socket and whack it in.

632 Regal
10-13-2006, 06:09 PM
lol....no whacking room...
Use next size up torx socket and whack it in.

brosher
10-13-2006, 06:23 PM
Vice grip, but a decent one not some $1 walmart one. This worked for me on the torx bolts on the intake manifold, of which about half stripped. I did need to dremel the head off of one though.

Good luck!

MagicMike
10-13-2006, 06:24 PM
632 Regal is right no whacking room. Trust me, I would love to hit that thing. It is the only bolt preventing me from removing the tranny. I actually got so pissed that I punched the **** out of the bottom of the car which then caused all kinds of crap to go into my eyes. You know how that works. I will be leaving work soon to go to the sears to buy some goggles and give it one more try.

Thanks again for all the input.

shogun
10-13-2006, 06:28 PM
I had the same problem last year on my V12 engine. All bolts have diffferent sizes, and you have no space there.
Finally I took the engine out complete with the trans, that was the easiest.
Same I did 2 weeks ago with my parts car trans and engine
http://8810.teacup.com/750hiline/img/bbs/0000489M.jpg

But if you have a car lift, better remove the front sus parts and take out all to the bottom, much easier. I only have a cherry pick.

Chris'91'525i
10-13-2006, 08:42 PM
WTF is a smokewrench? went to their site but it wont load.
I think it's the same as a "Victor wrench", a torch.

If there's room, MIG weld a bolt to the damaged one. The heat and cool down should help loosen it too.
Good luck !!

MagicMike
10-16-2006, 10:28 AM
Hello Guys,

I actually finally got the damn tranny out. I managed to carefully use a sawzall and cut the head off completely. All I needed was an extended blade for it. Just in case you guys where curios, I will put up some pics shortly of my clutch and how bad it looked. I'm surprised I was even able to drive it from the way it looked.

Dave M
10-16-2006, 10:59 AM
Good job. Theres a tool for everything :)

Dave M