PDA

View Full Version : 91 E34 535i Sport Shakes&Squeeks

DaFreak
10-13-2006, 10:08 AM
I've had 2 persistent problems with my 535i for the last 6 months.

1.At 50/60 mph i get a slight judder at the steering wheel and when braking from say 80mph to about 45mph their is a violent shake at the steering wheel and the whole of the front end just vibrates and then calms down.
I've read up on this subject and it all points to thrust arm bushess..but this cannot be the case as i've replaced the following during this period:

Idler Arm bush ( BMW Dealer )
Both Front Thrust arms complete with bushes/balljoints
Every Tracking Part
Steering Box
The only bit i havent changed is my struts/the top mounts/Springs.

Im running 17" Replica wheels/no spigots and was wondering if this could be the prob?? I've had these wheels since i've purchased the car but they didn't have this problem before..

2. The second problem is i have a lot of knocking/squeeking coming from the rear of the car. BMW suggested it was the rear carrier bushes, so i got these change but surprise..still a problem.
When i push down on the qurter panel/boot lid i can hear squeeking coming from the shock area's?? Could this be the Shock top mounts??

On a final note is it just me who has a consistent problem with the front electric window mechanism/setup? The glass keeps popping out of the little white sliders located unders the glass and i've had to replace them like 4 times on both the front doors! Everything seems to be sound eg..window guiders/runners but it seems that the window mechanism itself seems to bow out as the windows opens then straightening itself up causing it to pop from the slider!! Any Suggestions???

kick7ca
10-13-2006, 11:28 AM
I have 17" Racing Dynamics wheels, they're offset, meaning they sit alot furthur out (wider) than the stock wheels, they give me similair problems. It all disappears when I put the winter wheels on.

Try having your wheels professionally repaired / balanced, I did this then had a dealer alignment and things really improved. Still have one slightly centre bent wheel which I think is where my high speed braking vibration is coming from. Again, my problems go away with the winter wheels.

puppypilgrim
10-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Depending on how well the wheels mate with the hub, you may need hub-centric rings. This assumes that the front thrust arms (Lemforder ones for the 750il) are installed, wheels, alignment, and the usual suspects have been addressed.

fkong777
10-13-2006, 12:40 PM
#1 can have 2 problems.
jiggle - missing hubcentric ring, bend wheel or off balance tires
Violent shake - Thrust arm bushing or Thrust arm Ball joint.

I see you said Stealer changed your arm and bushing.. I would double check to see. Look under your car. The arm and bushing should look spanking new.. Most dealer will only change bushing and they will not use 750il upgraded bushing but OEM bushing for your Model and Yr. Check part no on your receipt and compare to REALOEM.com

#2 rear
you may have a worn out spring pad.

Claude
10-13-2006, 02:12 PM
I've had 2 persistent problems with my 535i for the last 6 months.

1.At 50/60 mph i get a slight judder at the steering wheel and when braking from say 80mph to about 45mph their is a violent shake at the steering wheel and the whole of the front end just vibrates and then calms down.
I've read up on this subject and it all points to thrust arm bushess..but this cannot be the case as i've replaced the following during this period:

Idler Arm bush ( BMW Dealer )
Both Front Thrust arms complete with bushes/balljoints
Every Tracking Part
Steering Box
The only bit i havent changed is my struts/the top mounts/Springs.

Im running 17" Replica wheels/no spigots and was wondering if this could be the prob?? I've had these wheels since i've purchased the car but they didn't have this problem before..

2. The second problem is i have a lot of knocking/squeeking coming from the rear of the car. BMW suggested it was the rear carrier bushes, so i got these change but surprise..still a problem.
When i push down on the qurter panel/boot lid i can hear squeeking coming from the shock area's?? Could this be the Shock top mounts??

On a final note is it just me who has a consistent problem with the front electric window mechanism/setup? The glass keeps popping out of the little white sliders located unders the glass and i've had to replace them like 4 times on both the front doors! Everything seems to be sound eg..window guiders/runners but it seems that the window mechanism itself seems to bow out as the windows opens then straightening itself up causing it to pop from the slider!! Any Suggestions???

Perhaps one of your front caliper stick randomly, this also may cause violent shake on the front end. That happened to me lately with regular 15 inch rims.

stu1
10-13-2006, 04:06 PM
Rotors?

DaFreak
10-14-2006, 05:48 AM
Rotors?

New Front Discs/Pads ( ATE ) fitted around the same time i did all the work.

front tyres are new/balanced correctly and front wheel alignment has been done...I might take a chance and buy some spigot rings for the wheels!

CamaroM60
10-14-2006, 09:10 AM
cool down