PDA

View Full Version : overheating + weird sounds

thehaz
10-13-2006, 02:32 AM
hi.. i own a 1988 520i and it's overheating a lot. i've been going back and forth to the mechanics (a BMW workshop) but i dunno.. it's still there. but now it looks like the gauges are at blue but being the worry wart that i am, i popped the hood up. first of all, it makes this mechanical whirring sound when i start it. as if it's dry.. u know like when u have dry throat and try talking. it's almost like that. but before when i checked the coolant level and it was good.

i no close to nothing bout engines, but how hot is the bottom part on the main engine supposed to be when you've just started it for about 2-3 minutes? cause.. uhm.. i got burnt bad from touching it after i turned it off.. (gauge was still in the blue area).

help? please? thanks.

pingu
10-13-2006, 03:56 AM
You could try checking the two coolant pipes between the engine and radiator - they should both be getting warm. If not, your thermostat could be up the creek.

E34-520iSE
10-13-2006, 03:56 AM
Is it the starter motor that makes the horrid sound? Does the temp gauge rise to the 12 o'clock position after driving a few miles? Do the heaters blown warm air through the vents? Does the expansion tank on the side of the radiator (where the coolant goes) hiss? We're gonna have to go through this one step at a time I think, as there's a few things we need to check out. I've got the same car and engine as you, so don't worry! Where in the world are you?

Cheers,

Shaun

fujioko
10-13-2006, 06:57 AM
Welcome aboard!,

The bottom part of the engine that gets really hot after a few min of running.. perhaps that is the exhaust manifold?

What side of the engine did you burn your hand on?

The exhaust manifold will get really hot in just a few minuets... this is totally normal.

The whirring noise may be the fan clutch assembly. If the clutch is bad, then overheating in traffic is very possible. The engine would run a bit cooler on the open road..

stu1
10-13-2006, 04:22 PM
Could you post a sound file of the start up sound?

nizmainiac
10-13-2006, 06:06 PM
fill out your profile, so we can help you a little better