PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Injector Cleaner and Nik-powered E34's

Wack
10-12-2006, 10:19 PM
Folks,
I have a Nik-powered 1994 530it with about 132k on her. I just replaced the Mass Airflow Sensor (and both O2's) and the idle has greatly improved. I would like to add some fuel injector cleaner (Chevron with Techron for example) but noticed a warning label on the bottle advising the purchaser that the sulfer content does not meet the new Diesel requirements for low sulfer fuels. Hmm, Nik-powered BMW's and Sulfer do not mix well! So ... what do you think .... is fuel injector clear harmful to the Nik-powered blocks?
Thanks ....

gale
10-12-2006, 11:55 PM
Shouldn't hurt it in the short term. Run the fuel tank level down to about 1/2 full, pour 6 oz. of the techron in it, drive it hard til it's almost out of gas, & do an oil change.

BillionPa
10-13-2006, 03:15 AM
thats rather disturbing.... anyway, use acetone as my injector cleaner, 100% sulfur free!

Wack
10-13-2006, 07:00 AM
Thanks gents. I have about 2k more miles to go before I change the oil. Since I use nothing but Synthetic and the little 3 liter holds 8 quarts, I may wait and run the Fuel Injector cleaner just prior to the oil change. I am so darn nervous about any additives to the engine because of the Nikasil block issues from the model year that I own. I was searching around the site (previously) regarding my rough idle. I saw plenty of posts that included the ICV (which I did not replace), the two O2 sensors (replaced) but very little / nothing about the Mass Airflow Sensor. Although an expensive part (over $300 for OEM, did not want a refurb), the rough idle really cleaned up. Due to this rough idle, I want to now make sure the injectors are in top notch condition ....

Elekta
10-13-2006, 08:13 AM
Two tourings? Bravo, let's see them

Wack
10-14-2006, 08:06 AM
I have too many pixels to upload. Will try and crop the pics I have and post them when I get a chance ... hopefully this weekend!

Wack
10-14-2006, 12:48 PM
... trying to attach a file ....

Wack
10-14-2006, 12:51 PM
... here is your second pic.

Hope you like them!