PDA

View Full Version : R134a retrofit

Duane
04-12-2004, 02:56 PM
I'm attempting to repair the a/c with a R134a retrofit kit. I bought 92 535 last fall and the a/c would not blow cold or even kool air. There was no pressure in the system. I've taken out the reciever/drier and tried to drain the oil but no oil came out. Same thing with the compressor no oil came out. The direction form the retrofit kit state the "If less than half of the original amount of mineral oil has been removed additional components should be removed and drained or flushed with Dura 141". Question where might the oil be? Do I need to take it to a shop to have them flush the system? Is there some way to check the compressor to see if it is good?
Thanks for any help

Mr Project
04-13-2004, 09:30 AM
I am hardly an expert on AC, but I'll take a stab...

It does sound like you need to flush the system. They make a flushing fluid/agent that you can buy by the quart/gallon and basically you remove the parts and rinse them out with this stuff. The problem is moisture, you can't blow regular compressed air through them because it's so 'wet'. Some people blow propane or other gases through the components after flushing to dry them out, but there are obvious safety hazards with that method.

After it's all flushed out and dry, you can re-assemble the system, then put a new drier on last, then evacuate (vacuum out moisture) and charge the system with oil and refrigerant. Still best to use an oil that is compatible with the R12 in case there are traces of R12 that you didn't get out.

Lots of good info here:
www.ackits.com

I'm trying to figure this out to do the same thing to my 535i soon.

Bruno
04-13-2004, 09:40 AM
NO retrofit kit should be used...
Use the right Compressor for R134a and the right Freon and oil.

Anyhow, didn't the 92 models come with the R134a already???

It seems that you have a leak in your system. You need a new receiver drier with the right pressure switch then you need to draw a vacuum and see if you have a leak...
Or you could just put everything back in place and draw a vacuum to see if the system is holding the vacuum... Probably work with nitrogen also to see if the compressor works.

Anyway you look at it, get at new receiver drier when you put everything back together.

Is your Compressor R134a compliant?? Did you rear the koalamotorsport page?