PDA

View Full Version : A little comment after brock's crash

rob101
10-12-2006, 04:48 PM
Tree at brock accident scene to be cut down (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=145676)

The thing that shocks me about this is how f***ing retarded people are, parking up on a blind corner?

And this one typifies why this kind of thing happens: "Gidgegannup residents have said the spot where Brock died was notoriously dangerous and locals were constantly having to pull cars or motor bikes out of the ditch."

and they did what? nothing they did f-all typical! This highlights the systemic problems with australian drivers (who can't even realise that parking on a blind corner is dangerous) and government who is responsible for the roads who can't act proactively or to prevent people getting killed.

Zeuk in Oz
10-12-2006, 05:17 PM
Have never understood the little shrines & crosses that people place at the spot where a loved one died.

First saw it in Greece (full on buildings) 30 years ago, and am a little amazed that it has caught on here.

Perhaps I should erect a shrine in the hospital where my father died.

Think I prefer to visit his grave.

Spasso
10-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Have never understood the little shrines & crosses that people place at the spot where a loved one died.
Around my neck of the woods white crosses are placed at the scenes of fatal accidents, usually on sharp corners, where there can be seen 4 or 5 crosses on the especially bad ones, most because of drinking and driving.

This sends a message to two groups of people, the drivers that think it can't happen to them and the government for not placing better warnings or lights in the area if that be the case.

We have a highway in my area where 24 people have died in head on collisions since 1999 and there has yet to be any significant safety improvements to the road. It's littered with crosses, meaning, "DON'T FORGET!" and "DO SOMETHING!!.

Of course, the safest road in the world can't combat drunk drivers.

DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!!

Yiorgos
10-12-2006, 07:58 PM
First saw it in Greece (full on buildings) 30 years ago, and am a little amazed that it has caught on here.

The ones in Greece are little 'houses', about 1m-squared and sit on four legs. They aren't there because someone died, they are actually little shrines for saints, like St George, or St Andrew. I don't know any more details about it, because the last time I was in Greece I was only 11 years old, but I know that people used to refer to them by the saint that they were build for.

I see flowers and crosses all the time, usually on light poles or at bridges. You know if the person died was a motorcyclist if there are flowers on those steel cable dividers you sometimes see on median strips on freeways and highways.

Zeuk in Oz
10-12-2006, 08:23 PM
The ones in Greece are little 'houses', about 1m-squared and sit on four legs. They aren't there because someone died, they are actually little shrines for saints, like St George, or St Andrew.

My apologies - I thought they where where someone had died - my mistake. :(

genphreak
10-12-2006, 08:59 PM
In Aus we leave dead carcasses on the side of the road. Kinda like parading the war dead I think. It upsets the Poms, they find it vulgar (helping us to see it as more worthwhile)

http://www.tomyang.org/cars/deadroo.jpg
http://www.fidgital.com/images/news/Roo-With-DEAD-DEAD-DEAD-MUM.jpg

Roos, Wombats, etc. Leaving them there rotting even helps to improve awareness and breed flies. Other animals like Wege-tailed eagles tend to come and pick at the carcases. As they have to come real close to the road, they tend to get mown down too. Experienced aussie drivers tend to take it all in a good day's driving as they wipe the blood and flies off the windscreen and bullbar.

http://www.animalpicturesarchive.com/ArchOLD/1088135438.jpg

So long as it reduces accidents these days anything is justified (except teaching how to drive).

Crosses do may make a point, but perhaps only to some- ie perhaps Catholics and/or Christians more than most.

Maybe we should try leaving human carcasses there and measure the response.

I don't think too many people would stop, blind corner to park around or not!

ps They only went to Brocky's tree to get on teevee. We only cut it down to take revenge, we normally cut our own tall poppies down: That damn tree took him from us before we had the chance. Die, tree Die!

Alexlind123
10-12-2006, 11:48 PM
In Aus we leave dead carcasses on the side of the road. Kinda like parading the war dead I think. It upsets the Poms, they find it vulgar (helping us to see it as more worthwhile)

Roos, Wombats, etc. Leaving them there rotting even helps to improve awareness and breed flies. Other animals like eagles come to eat the carcases and they get mown down too, all in a good day's driving.

So long as it reduces accidents these days anything is justified (except teaching how to drive).

Crosses do may make a point, but perhaps only to some- ie perhaps Catholics and/or Christians more than most.

Maybe we should try leaving human carcasses there and measure the response.

I don't think too many people would stop, blind corner to park around or not!

ps They only went to Brocky's tree to get on teevee. We only cut it down to take revenge, we normally cut our own tall poppies down: That damn tree took him from us before we had the chance. Die, tree Die!

Ö_Ö

genphreak
10-13-2006, 02:27 AM
Ö_ÖErr anyone else know what that means? Hmm.

Yea here in Aus if it kills us we kill it (Sharks, feral dogs, crocs, snakes, etc.). In this case it was a tree. No big deal, cut it down.

Usually we kill things be4 they get a chance to kill us. 70% of the forest gone within 200 years, and counting. I was wondering how long it would take before the trees started to kill us... now I know. Brocky is a true aussie martyr.