PDA

View Full Version : Auto dimming mirror

mitch2k
10-12-2006, 01:31 PM
Quick question: is the auto dimming mirror plug and play?
I have now the mirror with the big 0-1 knob underneath it. If I remove it, should there be a plug for the auto dimming one?

thx!

acidfire52
10-12-2006, 02:29 PM
I would really like to know this too. Would love to upgrade my mirror.

Also, what models did the auto-dimming mirror come in?

jgardia
10-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Hi,
My 540 and a 530 of a friend have it. I don't know other models.
The only thing you need for the auto dimming mirror is a connection from the battery. I think if you remoy yours you'll be able to see if you have it. If not, you have the power from the inerior lights vey near.

Good luck,

Jose

I would really like to know this too. Would love to upgrade my mirror.

Russell
10-12-2006, 05:14 PM
I think the auto-dimming mirror is fairly expensive. Not sure, but it may be around $300 plus new.

stu1
10-12-2006, 06:38 PM
Try searching this board for auto dimming mirror... There's loads of info.

Michael999
10-12-2006, 10:03 PM
Ive got one on my 9/88 535i.
The light sensor doesn't work though.

GAM
10-12-2006, 10:11 PM
Pull the cover for the sunroof controls and look for a connector above the passenger side. You probably need to do a search. There's different dimming mirrors and I think there's different connectors. However, if you have power you should be able to rig it up to work. Again do a search there's been discussions about this before.

Quick question: is the auto dimming mirror plug and play?
I have now the mirror with the big 0-1 knob underneath it. If I remove it, should there be a plug for the auto dimming one?

thx!

Yiorgos
10-12-2006, 11:09 PM

Not sure, but my 1995 525i came with one, as described in the first post, with the 0-1 knob underneath it.

Mewsy
10-12-2006, 11:36 PM
I got a mirror from a wrecked 740i. The plug is hidden up in the headliner behind one of the visors. It was on the LHS on my car. You may need to pull out the vanity lights to get to the plug. The mirror i bought did not have the plug on it, so I just found the earth wire and the source and connected them to the mirror wires. Took about 10 minutes and works fine!

mitch2k
10-15-2006, 03:21 PM
I've removed the clips from my current mirror (without auto dimming), and there are goiing wires inside.. Anyone know why?

mitch2k
10-25-2006, 04:16 PM
I just received the dimming mirror.
The install was really plug and play... Underneath the cover, there was the plug.
Connected it, and worked from the first time... Really nice.

But when I left the car, the trouble showed up... My IR alarm isn't working anymore...
I tried to reprogram it, but nothing works...
Apparently the big knob under the mirror is an IR reciever, that gotta be used to program the locking system...

What could I do?

Pictures:

Normal mirror with IR
http://mitch2k.webcanyon.be/Share/BMW/Mirror/IMG_2961.JPG
http://mitch2k.webcanyon.be/Share/BMW/Mirror/IMG_2964.JPG

Dimming mirror without IR
http://mitch2k.webcanyon.be/Share/BMW/Mirror/IMG_2962.JPG
http://mitch2k.webcanyon.be/Share/BMW/Mirror/IMG_2963.JPG

The dimming mirror is made in 1997, so not from an E34...

Yiorgos
10-25-2006, 07:37 PM
How did your IR alarm work before having the auto-dim mirror? If it was by pointing it at your old rear view mirror, is there a way to transplant somehow bits and pieces that the IR needs to work into your new mirror?

I always thought that it was the LDR in the rear mirror on the auto-dipping ones that received the IR, and not the knob, coz the knob looks pretty opaque to me, which would prevent IR from being detected. My theory also explains why theres another LDR on the back of the mirror, but of course I'm happy to be proved wrong ;)

mitch2k
10-25-2006, 11:57 PM
I always thought that the receiver was in the ventilation grill...

If you look good, the big knob is red transparent...

In the dimming mirror are 7 wires connected... I guess you only need 2 for the dimming. I could try to remove the IR parts from the old mirror, place it behind the interiorlight, and place the knob somewhere...
Then I just lead power wires into the dimming mirror..

Putting IR parts in the dimming mirror, or puttind dimming parts in the IR mirror is a no go...