PDA

View Full Version : Jag Vs BMW

F4Phantom
10-11-2006, 06:23 AM
I have been driving a new Stype diesel jaguar 2.7L twin turbo for the last 3 or 4 days. As always I compared a lot of it to the 535. The jag is around 100k from memory and has done 8k's. My bmw was new $119,800 new. Jag has 153kw, bmw 155kw. Jag is a 6 speed auto, bmw 4 speed auto (both ZF). Jag is new 2006, bmw is 1990. Jag has 435NM bmw has 305NM. Jag handles better than the BM. BMW uses around 17L/100km, jag around 7 - 8L.

prices here
http://www.jaguar.com.au/au/en/vehicles/s-type/prices/list.htm?route=_au_en_vehicles_s-type_overview_intoduction@__link__InfoBlockLink_11

So before anyone tells me this is an unfair comparison, I know.

When I floor the jag it takes around 2 to 3 seconds for power because the thing need to do 3000rpm to have any power. When it comes there is a lot, but its not realy that good. The torque is excellent.

I took it to the airfield where I test any car I can to do a real life comparison. My BM got to 170, the jag got to 160, so it is actually slower, but not by much. The jag is a really smooth beast but really I cant see the 100k value tag. It handles very well and the traction control system is far superior to the systems used in dunnydoors or other cheaper cars. I floored it around a round about and could easily drive around several times with no chance of problems.

So anyway all in all, the BMW is much more engaging and much more for the driver. The Jag would be a better cruiser as the turbo lag will not allow it to be used in sporty situations. I should also mention that although the jag handles better in terms of grip and corner speed, it does not feel better and does not have the balance of the 5.

Get a drive of one when you get the chance.

genphreak
10-11-2006, 06:34 AM
Heh, interesting read F4! I wonder how the Jag will do vs a 16 year old E34 when it too is 16! :D I'm sure some affection was evident in your 'review' but it was class work. The e34 has real engineering polish, a physical poise that makes it feel like an extended body with wheels rather than a motorcar. The balance they got is hard to find in others- that is for sure. Imagine if your M30 had a snail stuck on the side like our stateside cousins (TCD) have gotten together so well.

Dave M
10-11-2006, 06:34 AM
BMW uses around 17L/100km, jag around 7 - 8L.

Interesting. I don't find such comparisons unfair, they are both cars ;)

However, the mileage seams odd. The 535 figure looks like a realistic 'mixed' or 'city' mileage, while I would expect the Jag to get 7-8 L/100km on the highway. My M50 gets me 7.5-8.5 on the highway.

Thanks for the read,

Dave M

SnakeyesTx
10-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Techinically its not very fair since you're taking a 17 year old car and comparing it to a 17month old car.. the technology is improved.

If I were to compare my 86 XJ-6 to your 90 535, that would be a little more fair. Back then Jags were crap. Total... crap. Sure, they handled well, but they were slow, heavy, inefficient, and an electrical nightmare. (I'm sure our local Jag-tech can elaborate further on Jags of the Pre-Ford buyout era). My 95 525 can run circles around my XJ-6 with half the motor! (2.5 liter vs 4.2 Liter in the Jag)

Compare that S-type Biturbo with the new 335 Bi-turbo and I think you'll be shockingly suprised :D

Ross
10-11-2006, 02:17 PM
A diesel Jag?! Tell me there is no leaping cat on it please. Maybe Ford should just give the company back to the Brits.

F4Phantom
10-11-2006, 03:47 PM
A diesel Jag?! Tell me there is no leaping cat on it please. Maybe Ford should just give the company back to the Brits.

yes it has the leaper up front (although the first S types in aust did not have them)

On the freeway it uses around 6L per 100, in the city closer to 10L, combined somewhere inthe middle. In fuel efficiency this thing is common rail 4, the cylinders get 4 injections of fuel per cycle per stroke using deformable crystals which are much faster than crappy solenoid injectors. The common rail is massive PSI maybe 20,000. The fuel atomises perfectly. In the end, you have a diesel behaving like a petrol, excellent fuel consumption, torque a petrol can only dream of in the same size and better emissions. Modern diesels have it all.

Zeuk in Oz
10-11-2006, 06:13 PM
Modern diesels have it all.
Amen to that ! :)

Nice write - up. Thanks.

Comparing your car to the 530d, or even better still the 535d, would certainly be interesting.

Sweetwater
10-11-2006, 11:07 PM
I can compare my previous '89 Vandenplass with my '95 E34 M60 and the Bimmer comes out on top in all categories....

I did appreciate the styling on the Jag, it was the last year of the round headlights. Those rectangular beasts were so fugly.

Beyond styling, the Jag was a nightmare for every issue that showed up. It was way expensive to maintain and seemed very unreliable. The ride was a bit more plush with less sporty aspirations. There was reasonable torque and good cruising speed but the Bimmer still wins that comparison. Fit and finish were terrible with my friends commenting on the fine leather but detachable armrests.

I'll take the Bimmer over any Jag of that era........period.

Paul in NZ
10-13-2006, 03:00 AM
I agree with Zeuk...try a 530 d.I thinkk the result will be the same.BMW ftw