PDA

View Full Version : BMW dealers now using Mobil 1 0W-40 !

Zeuk in Oz
10-11-2006, 01:03 AM
My local BMW dealer is now using (and selling) Mobil 1 0W-40 where they used to use Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40.

Very interesting ! ;)

Paul in NZ
10-11-2006, 01:25 AM
they sell castrol over here

pundit
10-11-2006, 01:32 AM
My local BMW dealer is now using (and selling) Mobil 1 0W-40 where they used to use Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40.

Very interesting ! ;)
I'm wondering if they're getting bitten by oil sludging problems and are now specifying synthetic to avoid sludging.

Zeuk in Oz
10-11-2006, 02:04 AM
I'm wondering if they're getting bitten by oil sludging problems and are now specifying synthetic to avoid sludging.

I had the same thought. The Shell Helix Ultra is a full synthetic though.

I asked the parts bloke about it and he said BMW had decided that they needed a 0W oil.

Could still be sludge though.

Zeuk in Oz
10-11-2006, 02:05 AM
they sell castrol over here
Interestingly, most oil filler caps on E39s have Castrol in raised lettering on the plastic cap top here in Oz.

genphreak
10-11-2006, 08:09 AM
My local BMW dealer is now using (and selling) Mobil 1 0W-40 where they used to use Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40. Very interesting ! ;)OW would provide less startup wear, I doubt they would care. I would say it is either something that they don't like about Castrol's synthetic, or they feel they can get Castrol to sharpen their pricing by 'teaching them a lesson'.

Perhaps its availability.

Then again, perhaps someone at BMW made a cost-based decision.

We need the good oil on this particular story... it sounds like a good story for the BMWCCA to get to the bottom of. Someone will have a good reason unless its the latter in which case whatever they say would smell a bit... like used dyno oil.