PDA

View Full Version : OT: Spring Compressor

Traian
10-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Where can I get a spring compressor in Toronto?

i think in the US you have them at autozone, but here there is no Autozone afaik. Canadian Tire has one, but it's a weird one piece unit that's supposed to go through the centre of your spring, which seems to me like that's where the shock shaft would be. I'm planning to insall my Sachs kit btw. Thanks!

Felixdacat
10-10-2006, 09:28 PM
Any of your local autopart stores should have them. If you have a tool rental co. around check with them. Heck, you could even buy it online.

Dave M
10-10-2006, 09:30 PM
Thats odd, I've been able rent/borrow spring compressors from various 'rent-all' places and crappy-t for a number of years. Could have sworn the last spring compressor I saw at C-T would work on our cars. I would try the yellow pages for rental businesses.

Good luck with the install,

Dave M

winfred
10-10-2006, 09:39 PM
harbor freight sells those shitty threaded rod compressors of death for under $20 iirc

Traian
10-11-2006, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the replies yall. The only auto parts place I know around is Napa and they don't have it. I might get the Canadian Tire one, just because it's 'free' - the folks at the counter said I could buy it, install my suspension, and bring it back and return it lol, but it kinda baffles me cuz it's a one piece unit that's supposed to slide through the centre of the shock.

Buying online is out too, because border fees generally tend to double/triple the price on small stuff, specially if it's getting sent UPS.

winfred
10-11-2006, 09:56 PM
a through the center of the spring compressor will not do struts, not capable

Dukes
10-11-2006, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the replies yall. The only auto parts place I know around is Napa and they don't have it. I might get the Canadian Tire one, just because it's 'free' - the folks at the counter said I could buy it, install my suspension, and bring it back and return it lol, but it kinda baffles me cuz it's a one piece unit that's supposed to slide through the centre of the shock.

Buying online is out too, because border fees generally tend to double/triple the price on small stuff, specially if it's getting sent UPS.

I bought mine for $11.99 from HarborFreight.com (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3980)