PDA

View Full Version : Ellipsoid Smileys

Macv
10-10-2006, 06:41 PM
So I've searched around and found a bunch of people saying the ebay/chinese Ellipsoid smileys are trash and/or are great. But I really need a final desicion on whether I should get knock offs or keep searching for original Hella. So please vote, and explain why they're good/bad.

Also, point me into a direction to get them.

angrypancake
10-10-2006, 06:44 PM
I have french market Hella EE's. The light output is far superior to my old p.o.s. US market headlights. blech. Also tossed in a 4300K low beam HID setup. I don't have experience with knockoff smiley's...... fwiw I'm looking for some O.E. Hellas right now actually.

angrypancake
10-10-2006, 06:45 PM
Where's the "Who is Winfred" option?! tsk tsk

Macv
10-10-2006, 06:51 PM
I wasn't around for that. :(

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-10-2006, 07:04 PM
they are the latest

Elekta
10-10-2006, 07:18 PM
I bought used euro hellas for mine, came with the adjustable motors....about $250 shipped from a guy in jersey
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ggil-tx/DSCN3308.jpg

Macv
10-10-2006, 07:27 PM
Adjustable motors?

Elekta
10-10-2006, 07:56 PM
Adjustable motors? http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/ggil/Headlight%20adjuster.jpgThe dial left of the fog switch. You get the adjustable headlights with the OEM towing package to compensate for payloads pushing the headlights into the sky. The motors give you a couple more settings to lower the beams....

....they are also good for throwing a LIC PLATE LIGHT error message when they go bad

stu1
10-10-2006, 08:16 PM
Yep, the originals last and work very well. You can probably get them pretty cheap of ebay.co.uk.

angrypancake
10-10-2006, 08:33 PM
Yep, the originals last and work very well. You can probably get them pretty cheap of ebay.co.uk.

shipping makes things a real pain to get from the UK to the US. british pounds are not kind to the us dollar

SC David
10-11-2006, 12:13 AM
I want some Hella euros to replace my DEPO's :(

The DEPO's aren't that bad, but they look a little different, and mine had minor leakage issues when I first got them. I just sealed them up, and they've been fine since.

Paul in NZ
10-11-2006, 01:06 AM
my car came with em..:)

BFEINZIMER
10-18-2006, 12:25 AM
hey what are the purpose of these?

Macv
10-18-2006, 05:56 AM
Better/MORE light output.

Those stock headlights your 5 is rocking don't produce much light.

gtopaul
10-18-2006, 06:18 AM
I bought a couple of used sets from a GI in Germany that usually sells on Ebay. Shipping is better because they go through the US postal system (APO). I have the factory Hella's on my 540i and factory Bosch (they came with both) on my Touring. Can't tell the difference between the two but much better light than stock and the city lights look cool hooked up to the parking lights.

Paul

Qube
10-18-2006, 06:21 AM
If you aren't going for halos, don't bother with 'knockoffs'. The only reason you'd go that route is for the fun little rings. Else, go euro smilies! ;)

EDIT: for me, the halos have been great, even the uglier ring ones. I've had five sets now and only one non-Depo one was garbage (adjustment stalk problem). If you're not into halos, then the chance of getting crap isn't worth it.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
10-18-2006, 08:37 AM

Can't use RHD lamps on LHD car or v/versa - beam pattern backward.

Macv
10-18-2006, 08:50 AM
I was going to go with Halos Qube, but too many people have had complaints. I'll suck it up and get them eventually. ;)

However I DO have EE's on the way :D

angrypancake
10-18-2006, 08:57 AM
Can't use RHD lamps on LHD car or v/versa - beam pattern backward.

i thought you could reverser the projectors. flip the headlights over, and there are three screws, loosen them and turn the projector. that will make the necessary switch?

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
10-18-2006, 11:17 AM
i thought you could reverser the projectors. flip the headlights over, and there are three screws, loosen them and turn the projector. that will make the necessary switch?

I don't think so. Here's a couple of shots of the DOT shutter from the US ellipsoids.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/interalian/ELLIPSOIDSIDE.jpg

Drawn line approximates how the Euro code shutter is made:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/interalian/ECODECUTAWAY.jpg

Qube
10-18-2006, 11:18 AM
On the halo projectors, they are all euro cut so you can just simply turn it to be RHD or LHD.

632 Regal
10-18-2006, 11:53 AM
how about swapping them from the stock ellipsids into the euro lights?

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
10-18-2006, 12:14 PM
how about swapping them from the stock ellipsids into the euro lights?

You'd get the DOT cutoff...

acidfire52
10-18-2006, 02:25 PM
I have Depos.. No complaints.. Went right in.

Macv
10-18-2006, 06:35 PM
Thanks for all the input fellas.

BFEINZIMER
10-18-2006, 10:27 PM
wow this is so confusing...euro elipsoids haha why is mine not putting out as much as the euros?

angrypancake
10-18-2006, 10:36 PM
wow this is so confusing...euro elipsoids haha why is mine not putting out as much as the euros?

it has to do with the projector and the way the light is focused. us ellipsoids "spray" the light, and projectors, well they project :)

btw you should probly resize the sig pic.... its huge

BFEINZIMER
10-18-2006, 10:39 PM
yea yea so there mor elieka spotlight? hmm or is it it both, project and wide? and yea iull change that sometime tonight sorry

angrypancake
10-18-2006, 10:43 PM
yea yea so there mor elieka spotlight? hmm or is it it both, project and wide? and yea iull change that sometime tonight sorry

when I swapped in my euros, it was pretty amazing how much further down the road i could see. it's definitely more projection than out to the side.

BFEINZIMER
10-18-2006, 10:44 PM
do they provide bott hen, liek smilies, side to side, and elipsodes, project? but dang i wanted angel eyes when i get the $$

tnt525i
10-19-2006, 12:28 PM
On the halo projectors, they are all euro cut so you can just simply turn it to be RHD or LHD.
please explain in detail what you mean, im thinking of getting some halos and i have a rhd car
thanx

Qube
10-19-2006, 01:02 PM
On the projectors, there is an adjustment for LHD/RHD simply by rotating the assembly. This only works for euros due to the cut. Think about it logically...

From __/

To \__

All it does is rotate the cutoff. Now you'll see why it doesn't work with NA projectors ;)

BFEINZIMER
11-06-2006, 04:15 PM
so where is the best place to buy hella oem euro elipsods? ebay?

BFEINZIMER
11-06-2006, 04:24 PM
hmmmm

http://www.yellowandbluelighting.com/Default.aspx?tabid=86&txtSearch=e34&List=0&ProductID=528

http://www.yellowandbluelighting.com/Default.aspx?tabid=86&txtSearch=e34&List=0&ProductID=529

Macv
11-06-2006, 04:59 PM
There or european ebay has them like novelty Bob Saget bobbleheads.

Thats where I got mine.

BFEINZIMER
11-06-2006, 05:12 PM
ebay.de? or something in english haha?

BFEINZIMER
11-06-2006, 05:51 PM
hmmm i ready to spring for these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hella-Euro-smiley-ellipsoid-headlights-BMW-E34-M5_W0QQitemZ170045252782QQihZ007QQcategoryZ33710QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

what is involved other then removing the old and putting in the new?

Macv
11-06-2006, 07:18 PM
You need to buy a 9005/9006 universal harness, and crimp/soldering skills as you are converting from 9005/9006 to H1. Not a hard process, but you'll want to look up on it.

I recently upgraded to these lights and Added HID, so if you go ahead and buy these, I can walk you through it step by step. With help, it would be super easy :)

BFEINZIMER
11-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Hmm sounds crazy, but I'll do it, how much do the extra parts cost? Also, I'd like to throw in HID's but I'm kinda streched on $ as I'm only 17 and Regal Entertainment doesent love me haha

Macv
11-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Hey same age here :) I'd advise you not to buy HID cheap. When you do buy, Phillips is the only way to go. However if you decide on cheap, many say Pilot is pretty good. I can also say Genesis is pretty good (used them previously).

Couldn't help you on the harnesses, You'll need the Male plugs that are 9005/9006 on one side and stripped on the other. I mentioned to the seller (via ebay) that knockoff kits came with the universal harnesses and he went ahead and got me one. I would guess 20-30 bucks for the harness and another 30 for the H1 bulbs.

If you go for HID you'll need a drill and a smart head to mount the ballasts, as we dont have the same car so I can't have you place them where I did.

BFEINZIMER
11-06-2006, 07:43 PM
Thinking abotu it HID would be soemthing to do at a later time, as the ebay link I provided said, it came with bulbs and such, so what would I need to do in addition to just swap them, sorry if you've allready said this :) lol its 87 degrees adn im sweatin my balls off cant think striahgt haha

Macv
11-06-2006, 07:49 PM
Omg its 30 degrees here. I had to do them outside :(

Basically, You buy the harness and the lights. Do some crimpings, solderings and wire it up to the headlights, Then place in the bulbs and if the harness is wired on right, its just plug and play :)

Another thing, the daytime running lights dont have a connection to be plugged into. If you dont have Euro trim, I'd advise you to get it. It makes it look hot and you can use those for a simple way to hook up the DRL's

BFEINZIMER
11-06-2006, 08:21 PM
I'm not sure what you mena by euro trims, white side markers? And yea, how can I hook up the DRL's (city lights)? Forligth switch w/foglighs?

Macv
11-06-2006, 09:31 PM
http://abrahamsmotorsport.com/e34.htm Euro Bumper Trim OEM

It deleted the sidemarkers completely, letting you just plug the existing front sidemarkers into the DRLs. They come on just like your side side markers (light switch position 1) and do not flash, so IMO thats the perfect setup.

For the lights on the foglight switch? I guess you could just splice a few wires and add some, but I don't think its worth the effort. However you may.

BFEINZIMER
11-06-2006, 10:24 PM
OIC well they would look better that way but I do driving in my local heights which requires turing around in pitch black mountian roads...I'm perfectly glad to have those side lights on a shining bright! So with the euros, if I had the city's and the lobeams on what kinda thorw does that make compared to a US one..also my dad starting probibing me about legality...hes always worried..though would any cop really notice the difference? So the DRL's would be on the parking lights, ALONG WITH all the sidemarkers? I'll order these tonight or tomorrow based on yours and others responces...ALSO CAN I SEE COMPARISON PICTURES TO THE LIGHT THROW BETWEEN US AND EURO, thanks

Macv
11-06-2006, 10:52 PM
If you want to save your sidemarkers, you can. It will require the same procedure as the other lights. I can help walk you through wiring those as well, you'll just have to splice into sidemarkers/turn signals (whichever you choose).

As for legallity, I get the same deal. DRL's are perfectly legal, although changing their color may not be. I changed mine but no cops around here ever care.

Not sure I understand "throw" of the light, but if you're wondering how much more light output you'll get... you'll be amazed. However, it does depend on the shape (quality) of the Hellas youre getting.

PM me if you need help when you receive your lights.

BFEINZIMER
11-06-2006, 11:09 PM
Oh I'm talking about the legality of the distance/output of the light, I mean does it look abnormal? They are origional Hella's so they should be good, ok I'll order soon and let you know, thanks alot and pics if you could?

MTechnik540i
11-06-2006, 11:41 PM
So I've searched around and found a bunch of people saying the ebay/chinese Ellipsoid smileys are trash and/or are great. But I really need a final desicion on whether I should get knock offs or keep searching for original Hella. So please vote, and explain why they're good/bad.

Also, point me into a direction to get them.

OE is the only way to roll. Bosch/Hella.

Bosch...
http://www.ncaudi.org/gallery/albums/album429/Sharkfest06_10.sized.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g18/bmwm3n528/Charlotte%20Autofair/Fall%202006/autofairfall0617.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g18/bmwm3n528/USGP%202006/Wednesday/25.jpg

Paul in NZ
11-07-2006, 12:04 AM
my sig is euro ellipsoids (albeit rhd)
Look carefully at the outside lights you will see a bright spot independent of the reflector,that is the lens or projector focussing the light.

I dont think anyone would notice any difference.If you do get these lights and for some reason decide you dont like them I think you can see from the interest shown here that you wont have much trouble selling.The actual light output in watts is the same.

BFEINZIMER
11-07-2006, 12:14 AM
oic thanks for those sharp pics...any visiual difference between the bosch and the hellas lights?

BFEINZIMER
11-07-2006, 01:06 AM
Bought em ;)...now to wait...

MTechnik540i
11-07-2006, 08:02 PM
oic thanks for those sharp pics...any visiual difference between the bosch and the hellas lights?

Hmm... If they're like E30 lights, the city light has a slightly different look between the two, but the majority of the difference is inside. The cutoffs are sometimes slightly different. On E30s, the Bosch reflector is metal, and the Hella's is plastic.

You're safe with either.

BFEINZIMER
11-08-2006, 03:30 AM
the other thing is the ones i bought have clear corners, which is pretty chill...

what is the shadowline refering to?

http://people.freenet.de/krull-77.de/e341.jpg
http://people.freenet.de/krull-77.de/e342.jpg

Macv
11-08-2006, 08:33 AM
It means the chrome rings around the light are black. I dont actually see it in the picture, so I'm betting they just included the tape to do it yourself.

..maybe

BFEINZIMER
11-08-2006, 08:50 AM
eitherway they look good, if i wanted that done i know a guy at school that would do it for me haha

SC David
11-09-2006, 03:36 AM
Blah, now I want Bosch ones. Who wants to trade for Depo's :p

BFEINZIMER
11-13-2006, 01:15 AM
hey marcv...where did u get the philips hid upgrade kit? i was looking on their webiste and got this

NOTE : Xenon HID bulbs can only be used in vehicles that have HID lighting systems. They cannot be used as an upgrade in conventional headlights.

The Xenon HID bulb requires an electronic ballast and has an electronic starter for quick ignition.

SC David
11-13-2006, 01:25 AM
Most HID kits come with ballasts. They can't be used in free-form "conventional headlights," but since the euro's are projectors they go perfectly with them.

silver-e34
11-13-2006, 01:59 AM
maybe im confused but arent ellipsoids and projectors the same thing ? if not can anybody show me the difference ?

BFEINZIMER
11-13-2006, 02:24 AM
maybe im confused but arent ellipsoids and projectors the same thing ? if not can anybody show me the difference ?

yes i think they are

Most HID kits come with ballasts. They can't be used in free-form "conventional headlights," but since the euro's are projectors they go perfectly with them.

ok, but where would you get phillips oem's?

BFEINZIMER
11-13-2006, 03:19 AM
hmm anyinput in there, directly put into my euros coming, if i got h1 bulbs, woudlent it be true plag and play, put the euros in,put the hid's in, wire it and go?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brand-New-Philips-5000K-HID-Kit-Kits-Xenon-conversion_W0QQitemZ330047226194QQihZ014QQcategory Z36476QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Macv
11-13-2006, 03:15 PM
No. You MUST buy H1 bulbs to fit in the headlights correct. But the "plug and play" deal come into effect when you wire the high beams.

The HID is easy and yes I could consider it plug and play, even though it takes time to mount and secure the ballasts, as well as run the wires in a safe place. The stock 9006 Lowbeam connector fits right into the ballast, (even though its an H1 bulb) and then you just plug in the bulb and go. The high beams require a universal harness to go from the 9005 connector to the H1 bulb, which makes you have to cut/solder/crimp... the works.

Unless you fork enough for two HID's setups, it's simply not plug and play.

Again, I can walk you through it if you need help :)

BFEINZIMER
11-13-2006, 04:13 PM
No. You MUST buy H1 bulbs to fit in the headlights correct. But the "plug and play" deal come into effect when you wire the high beams.

The HID is easy and yes I could consider it plug and play, even though it takes time to mount and secure the ballasts, as well as run the wires in a safe place. The stock 9005(6?) Lowbeam connector fits right into the ballast, (even though its an H1 bulb) and then you just plug in the bulb and go. The high beams require a universal harness to go from the 9006 connector to the H1 bulb, which makes you have to cut/solder/crimp... the works.

Unless you fork enough for two HID's setups, it's simply not plug and play.

Again, I can walk you through it if you need help :)

Well my final light setup would be in the Hella Euro's with H1 fittings, HID Xenon lowbeams and halogen hibeams. How does this type of install look? http://www.xenonpros.com/installation.html

Macv
11-13-2006, 06:24 PM
Thats the universal HID install directions. With phillips ballasts you wont have to deal with the ignitors, and you dont have to run relays with our car.

Something you're missing is the unpassable fact that you'll have to drill the dust cap for the HID, as well as seal the original opening.

Just trying to look out for you. If you've never taken off the bumper, grill, lights, or if you have no real experience with xenon lighting installations, and wiring, you're bound to have some trouble.

I told someone I was going to make a nice writeup, as I have TONS of pics on this procedure, but I never did. Guess I should huh?

Overall, everything you're buying will work, youll just need to research, or a helpful hand :)

BMW4LIFE
11-13-2006, 09:00 PM
quick ramdon question...can i do the 9005 mod on my e34 with stock headlights (non elip) or would they not work and i need to use the 9006 only?

Triton540i
11-13-2006, 09:06 PM
I don't know... I'll just take my Angel Eyes instead. :)
-Eric

Macv
11-13-2006, 09:13 PM
quick ramdon question...can i do the 9005 mod on my e34 with stock headlights (non elip) or would they not work and i need to use the 9006 only?

Yeah you can do it. :)

BFEINZIMER
11-14-2006, 02:07 AM
hmm sounds liek ajob and ill havta take a few days to do it as i always need my car it seems...well i got the bently manual to remove the grille but yea id love that write up lol