PDA

View Full Version : "Clacking" noise just after start-up

we_call_him_doher
10-10-2006, 04:34 PM
Hey all,

First of all, thanks to everyone for giving me something to read at work instead of doing....work. haha

My problem isn't really serious, it just makes me worried. After I start the engine (no weird noises there) it settles down to idle and then starts "clacking" for lack of a better word. Now I know this is a new noise because my car has always had the signature valve ticking noise, but this is new and different. It also doesn't follow a certain pattern i.e. clack-clack-clack-PAUSE-clack-PAUSE etc. It does this almost every time I start it after it has been sitting for more than say, 10 minutes. It also doesn't seem to matter what temp the engine is at upon start-up. Finally the engine also seems to run more rough when this happens, but the idle (according to the tach)is rock steady. The clacking will go away as soon as I start driving, and return the next time I start it.

Any ideas on what this might be?

Thanks in advance.

mamilapon
10-10-2006, 04:54 PM
Is yours manual or auto?

we_call_him_doher
10-10-2006, 05:31 PM
Sorry I guess that isnt in my banner, its manual.

Jr ///M5
10-10-2006, 06:48 PM
When's the last time you adjusted the valves?

karmann
10-10-2006, 06:51 PM
maybe the belt is getting worn out or the tensioner
I dont know if there is one on this car but i had a car do the same thing and it turned out to be the belt tensioner was going

karmann
10-10-2006, 06:53 PM
or was it the alternator clutch or something like that...

stu1
10-10-2006, 08:19 PM
Possibly some accessory on the way out? Power steering pump, water pump etc.

we_call_him_doher
10-10-2006, 09:40 PM
Thanks for your responses guys. If it was a belt or an accessory going out would it stop making the noise after driving? I'm not sure when the last time the valves were adjusted, but I do know the HG was changed 15k mi ago and the PO claimed the valves were adjusted then, so its probably time to do it again....right? The other thing I was thinking is maybe the clacking is caused from lack of oil? Like maybe upon start-up not enough oil is getting to the head, isn't there some issue with the banjo bolts?

Thanks in advance.

BillionPa
10-11-2006, 01:12 AM
.....timing chain?
.....oil pump chain?

mamilapon
10-11-2006, 02:50 AM
Possibly your dual mass flywheel. It's a common thing.

ryan roopnarine
10-11-2006, 07:20 AM
next time it does this, find out whereabouts its coming from. if it sounds like its coming from your exhaust manifold area, its probably sticking valves (which is what it sounds like to me).--the intermittent tick tick tick--pause-tick-pause-tick tick tick tick tick tick is usually valves.

we_call_him_doher
10-11-2006, 07:23 AM
ok I'm about to go to school so I'll listen to it when I start it. If it is sticking valves what would be the remedy for that?

ryan roopnarine
10-11-2006, 07:28 AM
the m30 people would know better if a lack of adjustment would cause a stick on your motor, but on automatic adjustment motors, usually frequent oil changes and an oil system cleaning will fix it.