PDA

View Full Version : Door seal adhesive?

tgrandahl
10-09-2006, 11:33 PM
I know this sounds like a silly question, but i need some advice on my rear door seals. I have been having a lot of trouble with them coming off when passengers enter/exit the part back by the seat bolsters comes off and the rest pulls off. The gasket wraps around the passenger and usually scares them as they think they broke something.

Now I have also noticed that the bolster on the sides seems a bit "swollen" although i think that’s the way its supposed to be could be contributing the it coming off.

This has happened several dozen times now thought and is starting to annoy more people than myself. Has anyone else had this problem.

I know a lot of other cars have a sticky sort of adhesive in there seals that never really cures but helps hold it in place. But the from gaskets don’t use anything like this and im not sure what to look for.

Im mostly scared of the new idea after buying a $100 sunroof gasket.

Chris'91'525i
10-09-2006, 11:54 PM
3M™ Super Weatherstrip Adhesive is pretty much the standard.
This stuff works great, comes in black and yellow.
Very tenacious stuff......Every tool box should have it !!
It's also a great gasket sealant too, if nothing else works.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Automotive_Aftermarket/Home/Products/3M_Racing/

Jehu
10-09-2006, 11:58 PM
I just used an all purpose glue from an auto parts store, I think it was a GOOP. It was clear and smelled suspiciously like model cement/Airplane glue.The door seal where i get in an out of the car and the fabric also had pulled away under it. I smeared glue all along the underside and its held there fine.Just take care not to make a mess.Any objections?