PDA

View Full Version : More E34 appreciation (possibly less obvious points)

stu1
10-09-2006, 06:35 PM
This is possibly a continuation of the thread a few months back, but this time from a maintenance/more obscure point of view...

The other day I didn't put the bonnet down correctly. Thought the front looked a little strange and finally it dawned on me (at about 80MPH) that the bonnet wasn't latched right. Any other car I've ever had would never have made it to 80 with the bonnet not latched down - would've been smack up against the windscreen and crap I can't see ****!

Talking about the bonnet - the way it opens 90 degrees. Marvellous. Then I realised the boot also opens 90 degrees and the doors too!

Another fine point - just put my 'winter' shocks in the front - 30 minutes a side - 22mm top nut, big wrench on the tube, 3 13mm tower nuts, loosen lower and upper control arms, sway bar link disconnected and out it swings. I can appreciate that!

The oil filter being ON TOP of the engine - fancy that!

Windows and sunroof that closes from outside the car.

The lack of 'OMFG' moments when the back end steps out (given half decent tires).

The braking power! Seriously; I've never seen any car stop so positively.

The robustness of the rear bumper and shock absorbers (ask me how I know :) )

Any more servicing / mechanical / more obscure appreciation points?

DaveVoorhis
10-09-2006, 06:51 PM
Radiator that takes less than ten minutes to remove and replace.

Yiorgos
10-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Someone has said in here before, that the E34 had the best braking power of ANY car back in its day. That says something, and it shows -- I have had many an event where I had to brake suddenly, and only once has the tyres actually screeched (a tiny bit).

Other things I appreciate -- double-kickdown, check control module that even tells you when a bulb has blown (!), and....

<puts on flame-retarding suit>

WIDE GRILLE!!

Nick.Hay
10-09-2006, 07:43 PM
The E34 certainly proves how much more effort and R&D BMW put into their cars when they build them!! Thats exactly why I love mine so much!! A prestige-model Holden/GM/Opel/Vauxhall of the same vintage, and about the same price when new was NO WHERE near the E34 in terms of quality, refinement and general awesomeness!!

Randell
10-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Windows and sunroof that closes from outside the car.

i think my car missed that feature, i have to have the key at A/C to close anything!

kev535i
10-09-2006, 10:37 PM
put key in door turn to left and hold there for a few secs and windows and roof should close

Kobe Diesel
10-09-2006, 11:02 PM
I like the ergonomics of interior. The way the gearshift, e-brake, pedals, climate controls, radio, etc. are all positioned just right. My father drives a 99 Cad. Catera (Opel Omega) and enjoys the BMW layout more so, and the E34 design is nearly 20 years old.

Much to appreciate is that the E34 looks so good.

Uber Soldat
10-10-2006, 12:22 AM
put key in door turn to left and hold there for a few secs and windows and roof should close

I think something may be wrong with my sunroof. The 4 windows will close but i have to use the button inside to close the sunroof.
I wonder if its connected to the fact that when "auto" closing the sunroof from inside, closing any of the windows at the same time will stop the sunroof. Unlocking the doors will stop it aswell. I have noticed once that closing the window at the same time didn't interupt the sunroof. Very strange:(

Back on subject.
Its funny when friends of mine brag about gadgets they have in there newer cars (madza 3, ford fiesta etc). To think BMW had the same or similar gadgets in a 13 year old car.:D

Yiorgos
10-10-2006, 12:34 AM
I like the ergonomics of interior. The way the gearshift, e-brake, pedals, climate controls, radio, etc. are all positioned just right. My father drives a 99 Cad. Catera (Opel Omega) and enjoys the BMW layout more so, and the E34 design is nearly 20 years old.

Much to appreciate is that the E34 looks so good.

I completely agree with you on this -- driver-centric controls is something not very well appreciated until you own a BMW and then have to drive a non-BMW vehicle.

Paul in NZ
10-10-2006, 01:55 AM
The fact that the indicators and wiper wands are right at the fingertips.
I like the wireless rear light bulb holders,one twist and out,remove bulb,insert new ,replace holder.
I love the way ALL the electrical plugs have retainers.
And Randell thats what he is talking about,the self close thing,holding the key all the way over.
The sunroof is the last thing to close.The windows all close one at a time,then a slight pause and the sunroof will close
Last but not least,you can still close windows and sunroof after you have turned off the key and are halfway out of the car.You can still close the windows and sunroof.If you forget you still have the aforementioned self close.
I love this damn car,even though i have a shimmy again.I hope its a wheel weight lost,i did the bushings only about 10000 ks ago

Randell
10-10-2006, 02:34 AM

awesome thanks, i've had this car for 2.5 years and i've never known that... it's a pretty cool feature!

gmannino
10-10-2006, 03:05 AM
Comfort Closure. I love this feature. I wired it to my alarm. I can lock the doors then send a activation pulse to my alarm and it will automatically close all the windows via remote control. Great feature!
Will require a aftermarket alarm with a aux output. You will need a timed output of 20-30 seconds or a timed relay. Just send a timed pulse to the door lock wire, and it will close your windows and sunroof.

Paul in NZ
10-10-2006, 03:08 AM
Comfort Closure. I love this feature. I wired it to my alarm. I can lock the doors then send a activation pulse to my alarm and it will automatically close all the windows via remote control. Great feature!
Will require a aftermarket alarm with a aux output. You will need a timed output of 20-30 seconds or a timed relay. Just send a timed pulse to the door lock wire, and it will close your windows and sunroof.
thats good to know.Would be handy when you remember you have left the sunroof open and a rainstorm is coming(or already arrived!)

mikell
10-10-2006, 08:28 AM
No rattles in a 200k+ car. Hard to beat quality construction.

e34musician
10-10-2006, 09:08 AM
IMO, E34 design just never looks old! ;)

Yeah, having the car for ~a month, I just realized that I can still close the windows and sunroof after the key is out. Nice!

How about the tool tray in the trunk, Rear air blower (for a mid size sedan) ...

KenB
10-10-2006, 09:44 AM
Along with all of the finer points already mentioned, a glovebox that holds more than a pair of gloves, :D with a rechargeable flashlight that still works after 14 years.

I am also amazed that an exhaust system can last over 179k miles with no replacement, not even a hanger, I'm still on the original clutch and only the second set of brakes. I did however, have to replace the fuel tank straps,
what a POS!;)

mzarifkar
10-10-2006, 02:32 PM
I think the great thing about my ten year old car is that it still has the prestige, luxury, comfort and performance. It rivals most modern cars on all those points. a 95 mazda is just another car smelling of decaying plastic. a 95 5er convinces people you are high class rich (i dont have the car to set that image)
Quality Quality Quality,

ok im done and incoherent

mitch2k
10-11-2006, 01:19 AM
What I love the most of my E34, is the original sound of the horn :p . Sometimes at the freeway, with no other cars arround, I push the horn a few times just to hear it :D .

Paul in NZ
10-11-2006, 01:23 AM
thats good cos the horn scares the@#%^ out people who do hear it!

pundit
10-11-2006, 01:30 AM
thats good cos the horn scares the@#%^ out people who do hear it!
My horn scares women!... and it don't make noise! :D

attack eagle
10-11-2006, 02:18 PM
Agreed with all of the above especially Comfort close, OBC lighting indicator, rear air vents, and finally not yet mentioned:

Supplying a pocket in the back seat where the middle seating position belt can be tucked away when not being used. Just another thoughtful touch that makes life easier and neater.

Alternator fresh air ducting to help it last longer.

Ross
10-11-2006, 02:28 PM
You'll understand why the exhaust lasts when you finally have to pay for a replacement!

Ross
10-11-2006, 02:49 PM
The E34 and especially E32 were the finest cars of their day and respective class. Our now elderly examples are still great cars when cared for.
My touring is twelve years old, has ~115k miles and once caught up on maintenance and a few repairs is as pleasant and capable a car as many new ones. Anyway certainly preferrable to any new car that costs less than five or six times it's value.

stu1
10-11-2006, 03:45 PM
That's a fine point. You know what, I don't think of mine as a 12 year old car. I actually don't know what age I think it is when I'm driving it* - timeless maybe. But it's certainly better than any new car I've driven in the past two or three years (Rovers, Audi's, Saab's and Vauxhall/GM's).

(*maybe that's because I've replaced nearly half of the f***ing thing with new parts though :) )

Yiorgos
10-11-2006, 06:15 PM
Supplying a pocket in the back seat where the middle seating position belt can be tucked away when not being used. Just another thoughtful touch that makes life easier and neater.

I use that compartment (the fold-down rear armrest is what I am assuming you are talking about) to put a can of deodorant in there, which is accessible from my driver's seat! (I have long arms)

attack eagle
10-11-2006, 09:24 PM
I use that compartment (the fold-down rear armrest is what I am assuming you are talking about) to put a can of deodorant in there, which is accessible from my driver's seat! (I have long arms)
Actually my Touring has a little pocket/recess in the lower seat cushion where the belts can be laid and tucked in an orderly and teutonic fashion until needed.

Paul in NZ
10-12-2006, 12:57 AM
and the sedans have a little plastic receptable on the parcel shelf for the passengers seat belt buckle

Chipper
10-12-2006, 04:12 AM
I love reading threads like this.

I may get myself in trouble here but from about 10 years in the motor trade the people i see day in day out regard the E34 as the best car BMW ever built, A peak of design, build quality and style, it was also the last M5 type to be hand built buy the motorsport group

it all went a bit mass production after the E34

Ian:)

The Bigfella
10-12-2006, 10:32 PM
Another fine point - just put my 'winter' shocks in the front - 30 minutes a side - 22mm top nut, big wrench on the tube, 3 13mm tower nuts, loosen lower and upper control arms, sway bar link disconnected and out it swings. I can appreciate that!

OK, so this is different to the book, which says to take the whole thing out. Given I'm about to put in new shocks on the M5, I think I like this - no removing calipers eh?

94530inh
10-13-2006, 10:42 AM
Only thing I hated is that I had to replace the motor and the heater core after 180k, but that was due to the previous owner absolutely beating the hell out of the car. The car looks and runs like a top now.. No other car wouldve been ale to withstand the type of abuse this guy gave it. I've completely restored the car (except the tranny with 220k miles) and it is beautiful...

The E35 is the best 5 Series ever made IMHO

EDIT Actually, I can fault BMW for the Motor having to be replaced. ****ing Nikasil

kick7ca
10-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Weather band radio!!

stu1
10-13-2006, 01:28 PM
TheBigFella - yes, if all you want to do is change your shocks, here's the complete procedure in a little more detail:
1. Slacken off the huge shock retaining nut with a large pipe wrench (whilst everything is secure).
2. Undo 22mm nut on top of shock (I use an impact driver - hit three times with 3lb hammer).
3. Get 2 spring compressors on and tighten them up good.
4. Remove one of the swaybar link nuts and disconnect the swaybar link (so there's no force on either strut when you lower them).
5. Slacken off upper and lower control arms (on mine its 24MM for the upper and 19mm for the lower) at the body mounting points - this makes it much easier to lower the strut.
6. Unhook the abs sensor cable and pad wear cables from the strut clips.
7. Take the weight of the strut with your foot under the brake disc then remove the three 13mm strut nuts at the top of the strut.
8. Lower strut down and out of the wheel arch - secure it with some string - it will swing a long way out and put pressure on your brake hose if you don't secure it.

9. Undo 22mm shock nut at top, remove bearing, remove spring, unscrew huge shock tube nut, remove shock, insert new.

10. Refitting is the reversal of removal :)

11. Do other side.

12. Reconnect sway bar and then tighten up the conrol arms when back on the ground.

Stu.

steve0suprem0
10-13-2006, 01:39 PM
after getting my wiring issues sorted out, i've got to rank this the number one car i've ever been in. not that i've been in them all. but the styling and comfort are perfect and the power of my m50 isn't at all disappointing, even pushing two tons around. and i used to drive a 1900 lb scirocco. poor thing, started her up the other day, and i just wanted to get out. so i did. i feel guilty, but... the passion is just gone... which, ironically, is what my ex wife told me when she left!

DigitalRelay
10-13-2006, 02:21 PM
I like that the car warns you when the temperature dips low enough for icy conditions.

Also, my kids and I really appreciate that the back windows actually go all the way down! :D

steve0suprem0
10-13-2006, 03:43 PM
I like that the car warns you when the temperature dips low enough for icy conditions.

wow... that's freakin' sweet! haven't run across that... in fresno... having had the car since august...

and +1 on the rear windows.

brosher
10-13-2006, 06:29 PM
I just got the low temp bell for the first time this morn! Beat me to it... :D

Yiorgos
10-13-2006, 06:37 PM

Also, my kids and I really appreciate that the back windows actually go all the way down! :D

All european cars have to have this feature, it's in their design regulations or something. My ex-boss's Holden Vectra (a rebadged and imported Opel) had this feature, and they were all like "Wow it even has that!!" and I was all "Meh, my '95 E34 had that already :D)

I totally forgot about the back windows! Summer here in Australia recently made me wind all my windows down while driving, and it was only then that I noticed that the rear windows disappear completely into the door.

e34musician
10-13-2006, 06:40 PM
My radio beeps (pretty loud) asking me to clean the tape classette head. This scares me off a bit 'cause I was driving on the freeway. Thought it was something wrong with the car :p