PDA

View Full Version : down shifted to 3rd and the clutch never went back up.

MagicMike
10-09-2006, 04:00 PM
Hello All,

I am fairly new to this forum. I purchased my second 530i a few months ago for about $3500. It is a 1994 530i 5spd Granite Silver/ black with 150,000 miles. The car drives great but when I recently was cruising on the freeway, I downshifted to exit and realized that my clutch pedal never went back up.

I have changed the clutch Slave and the Master Cylinder already but still no pressure. I started the car and pressed the clutch, I was surprised to hear a loud clicking when the pedal was all the way to the floor. I am thinking that it may be the release bearing and/or release lever. Do any of you guys have an idea of what it may be?

I am going to drop the transmission tomorrow and will be replacing my clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, release bearing and what ever else I can. Do any of you know where I could get a performance clutch for this car?

Any help is much appreciated.

Also: I have 3 E30's that I love to death but have to let go of one of them. It is a 1985 318i 4dr 5spd white/tan. It has the bullet proof but slow M10 motor with 268,000 miles. I am thinking about donating it to get a tax break but am willing to sell some parts off it. Let me know if guys need anything.

Thanks,

calmloki
10-09-2006, 05:14 PM
You may well be right in your guess - but did you get a good bleed when you did the master/slave? If not you won't have any clutch.... Pressure bleed?

Chowchilla Skunkwerks
10-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Is the slave cylinder nipple pointed in the right direction?? could have air lock...

MagicMike
10-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Yeah, Ive bleed it 3 different times and a whole bottle of brake fluid later, still no clutch pressure. I also took the slave out and reattached it several times just to see if I messed up. Still no luck.

I actually just finished taking my exhaust and drive shaft off. I was shocked to see that my guibo was in such bad condition. I definetly am going to take the advantage and replace all the parts I can. Thank you for your input guys.

Do any one of you know a good brand for a performance clutch? I want to get a heavy duty clutch because I know that I am eventually going to go power crazy with this thing.

BillionPa
10-10-2006, 05:28 AM
dont forget the driveshaft center bearing, and take a good look at the diff seals and cv joint boots.

MagicMike
10-10-2006, 11:53 AM
I must sound like a loser but I actually called in sick today to get a head start on my car. Do any of you guys know the size of the torx head that holds the fly wheel? I know I have to get a special BMW tool because it is just deep enough that my regular torx tools can't get to it. I'm still trying to find a performance clutch though.