PDA

View Full Version : She won't start

Pete D
10-08-2006, 12:54 PM
Hello all
Electrical Problem I think....
Car won't start, (E34 Tourer 520i M50) all dash lights come on but doesn't turn over. I had recent alternator and starter replace, battery fine.
Checked under hood to amateurishly wiggle things and spotted something black and cup-shaped (distributor-looking) right in the middle of the rear of the engine bay (on firewall?!) which is hanging off! Seems to have a metal core inside and two wires coming from it. Two bolts have obviously come off the silver-edged surround. Sorry vague description, anyone know what that is?

Thanks

Update... here's a bad camera photo taken in the dark and there seem to be more than 2 bolts missing!

632 Regal
10-08-2006, 01:11 PM
did the starter come apart? selenoid? has to mate up with something down there.

Pete D
10-08-2006, 01:42 PM
did the starter come apart? selenoid? has to mate up with something down there.

Big fat wire coming from that black cup on left, is this thing connected to the starter or solenoid?

DaveVoorhis
10-08-2006, 01:46 PM
If I'm not mistaken, your starter solenoid has disassembled itself.

Pete D
10-08-2006, 01:53 PM
If I'm not mistaken, your starter solenoid has disassembled itself.

Thanks for reply Dave.
Sounds painful, is that caused by a bad installation, cheap part or random happening? Can it just be bolted back together. It was only replaced sometime in the last 12 months and would it have been played with when the alternator was replaced?

DaveVoorhis
10-08-2006, 02:05 PM
There are three screws that hold the solenoid in. On yours, they're gone. See http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HB52&mospid=47370&btnr=12_0518&hg=12&fg=25

I doubt anyone would have touched that when the alternator was replaced, but if it's a rebuilt starter or a replaced solenoid, it looks like the screws weren't properly torqued.

begeta50
10-08-2006, 02:20 PM
I just want to ask a question. Does the starter would make a noise when try to start the car. Because my makes a sond something like terrrr but nothing happens. Please let me know.

Pete D
10-08-2006, 02:26 PM
There are three screws that hold the solenoid in. On yours, they're gone. See http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HB52&mospid=47370&btnr=12_0518&hg=12&fg=25

I doubt anyone would have touched that when the alternator was replaced, but if it's a rebuilt starter or a replaced solenoid, it looks like the screws weren't properly torqued.

Thanks Dave, superbly pinpointed. Can I simply order 3 screws and bolt back on or is damage to the solenoid likely?

DaveVoorhis
10-08-2006, 02:34 PM
I doubt the solenoid would have been damaged. Where it is right now, you can try turning the key to start and you should hear the solenoid click if it works. I'd try ordering and installing the screws.

DaveVoorhis
10-08-2006, 02:37 PM
I just want to ask a question. Does the starter would make a noise when try to start the car. Because my makes a sond something like terrrr but nothing happens. Please let me know.
You mean you can hear the starter motor spin (whiiiizzzzzz) but it doesn't turn the engine? If so, pull the starter and disassemble it. Examine the solenoid, shift lever and pinion for proper operation.

Pete D
10-08-2006, 02:41 PM
I doubt the solenoid would have been damaged. Where it is right now, you can try turning the key to start and you should hear the solenoid click if it works. I'd try ordering and installing the screws.

You're a star Dave! It does click, I'm ordering the screws immediately.
All the Best

DaveVoorhis
10-08-2006, 03:01 PM
Are the thick wires still attached to the back of the solenoid? The thing is, I would expect the starter to spin when the solenoid is engaged. Starters are usually electically activated via switch contacts within the solenoid, not by the mechanical linkage (disconnected with the solenoid half out, presumably) which engages the pinion with the flywheel, nor should it need to be grounded through the solenoid. However, not having disassembled an M50 starter, I can't say for sure.