PDA

View Full Version : Correct PAG viscosity for replacement Nippondenso compressor?

Rob Edwards
04-12-2004, 12:02 AM
I am gearing up for a total A/C rebuild next weekend and got a replacement compressor from BMA. I THINK the correct PAG oil viscosity is PAG-46, would any of the gurus be able to verify that?

I'm going to attempt replacement of everything- compressor, condensor, evaporator, expansion valve, receiver-drier. While I'm at it, Im replacing the radiator and fan clutch. If I have the radiator out, can I get the condensor out without pulling the grille and/or front bumper? Thanks for insights!

I will try to document the (mis)adventure as thoroughly as possible. I'm amused to see how far I can get.

-Rob

winfred
04-12-2004, 12:32 AM
i use ester 100 in all of the cars we do, mercedes (ugh) bmw and volvo, 5-6 oz gets the job done, modern nip's usually have the oil amount listed on the comp, but the real new ones just have the factory nip # for the oil, in which case they still get 5-6 oz ester 100

Rob Edwards
04-12-2004, 09:44 AM
The replacement compressor (from BMA!) looks exactly like the original Nippondenso on the car, same casting numbers in the case, but there's no manufacturer's label on the back, and no mention of oil types. Ok- 100 ester it is.

Bill R.
04-12-2004, 10:28 AM
Here (http://members.aol.com/carleyware/library/pagoil.htm)

I am gearing up for a total A/C rebuild next weekend and got a replacement compressor from BMA. I THINK the correct PAG oil viscosity is PAG-46, would any of the gurus be able to verify that?

I'm going to attempt replacement of everything- compressor, condensor, evaporator, expansion valve, receiver-drier. While I'm at it, Im replacing the radiator and fan clutch. If I have the radiator out, can I get the condensor out without pulling the grille and/or front bumper? Thanks for insights!

I will try to document the (mis)adventure as thoroughly as possible. I'm amused to see how far I can get.

-Rob