PDA

View Full Version : Good scratch removal?

nmwaldron
10-08-2006, 10:31 AM
Hi
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove scratches? I just got out to my car and kids had thrown dirt over the hood and scratched it in 2 places. The car is black and the scratches are white...I have touch up paint.

Any ideas appreciated

Nathan

calmloki
10-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Quick and temporary till you bite the bullet and have the hood stripped and repainted: Sharpie black felt-tip marker. Or leather dye felt marker. Not perfect, but fast, cheap, doesn't rise above the surface of the existing paint, and, in true Hippocratic fashion, does no harm. Only do the white, and use your thumb to rub out any over-marking as you go.
Tom

calmloki
10-08-2006, 10:40 AM
Oh - and my last name has been mangled to look like yours in the past - Tom Walrod

gale
10-08-2006, 11:22 AM
If the scratches are white, then the hood has been clear-coated. Use a fine polishing compound available at any auto parts place & lightly rub the area with a damp 100% cotton T-shirt. Let it dry to a haze and wipe it off with a cotton terry cloth towel. Repeat if necessary. Be careful not to get too aggressive with it or you can polish thru the clear coat.

gmannino
10-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Meguires Scratch-X scratch removal. works great.

nmwaldron
10-08-2006, 07:51 PM
thanks much for the suggestions..I have a number of scratch products i;m gonna try and so far it looks promising. Thanks

Nate

fkong777
10-09-2006, 09:25 AM
I hope you are talking about hazing not white pits that goes to the primer. Haze is more like gray swivel marks where as white pits are like little dots that paint chipped away.

Scratch-X should work fine with the Haze. apply with some strength and wipe off before it dries.. Use foam applicator pads with scratch-x and wipe with microfiber towels.

calmloki
10-09-2006, 09:59 AM
my thought was that it was scratched to the primer and my patch was predicated on that thought.