PDA

View Full Version : Increasing fuel mileage?

AriaStar
10-07-2006, 07:07 PM
What are some general tips to increase fuel mileage aside from driving slower? because that's not happening. Clean oil, tune-ups, etc. What else?

DaveVoorhis
10-07-2006, 07:13 PM
Buy a motorcycle! :D

Check your tire pressures regularly, make sure your O2 sensor is working, ensure your air filter is clean, make sure the brakes aren't dragging, turn on the A/C only when needed and keep the windows closed when possible (better aerodynamics), and don't leave heavy cargo in the vehicle.

AriaStar
10-07-2006, 07:17 PM
I need to have the tires balanced, the o2 sensor was recently replaced, brakes recently replaces, not hot enough for A/C, windows are up because I know about aerodynamics, and my trunk is currenly full of books. :D LOL, I was moving them from my mom's house to my place.

genphreak
10-07-2006, 07:20 PM
Don't use the brakes, especially when crusing through McDonald's drive-throughs.

Oh, and lose some weight... best off avoiding the drive-throughs altogether really- yea, on second thoughts, just keep your foot to the boards and try to keep the car airbourne as much as possible, it reduces rolling resistance and the various inefficiences when running your engine at less than than WOT, as well as the need to bother keeping your tyres pumped anyway.

DaveVoorhis
10-07-2006, 07:25 PM
Oh yeah... Whenever possible, secretly siphon fuel out of your friends' tanks.

jnmip
10-07-2006, 08:24 PM
Oh yeah... Whenever possible, secretly siphon fuel out of your friends' tanks.

Remind me to make sure never to park next to you LOL

calmloki
10-07-2006, 08:36 PM
run skinnier tires, run higher tire pressures. Lightest aproved oil weight, remove luggage/bike rack.

Paul in NZ
10-07-2006, 08:40 PM
dont coast to a stop,use engine braking(the car uses more petrol idling than it does on overun),use the guzzle o meter but you will find that you get better economy in using a higher gear,think ahead about what you are doing, use the brakes and throttle as little as possible....momentum rules

BillionPa
10-08-2006, 03:29 PM
remove the rear seat if not needed, iridium spark plugs, gut the AC, no spare tire, run acetone and speedtec and ucl in the gas (no god damn ethanol!!!)

.... well, all those are NOT the easiest ways, probably the hardest ways.

o2 sensor, good tires/brakes, clean injectors and valves, properly working ignition system, and ethanol free gas if available are the easiest non "general tuneup" ways to get good mileage. for tuneups, 5w30 synthetic oil with lots of moly, fresh fuel/air/oil filters. keep acceleration in the torque band and shift in that area. upper cyl lube isnt too much of a hassle and keeps the pump and injectors working well, and lowers the engines operating friction.

E34-520iSE
10-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Try going the other way instead - decrease mileage! Tow a big gnarly trailer everywhere, deflate your tyres, chuck a big lump o lead in the boot, drive on WOT as much as you can.... no wait that's what I do!

Cheers,

Shaun

Chris'91'525i
10-08-2006, 08:07 PM
What are some general tips to increase fuel mileage aside from driving slower? because that's not happening. Clean oil, tune-ups, etc. What else?

This site has some good suggestions......

http://www.wikihow.com/Save-Money-on-Gas

ThoreauHD
10-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Those iridium spark plugs gave me a extra 1 mpg average. Also, the ride is extremely smooth compared to the bosch. Not that bosch is bad but those iridiums are pretty incredible feats of engineering. The electrode is like a needle point.

I also have replaced the charcoal canister, the oil and fuel filters, put in mobil one 0w40, air filter, and kept the tires at around 35-37 psi. I haven't completed the test, but the mpg is creeping up about 2 mpg so far. Just got this done a week ago.

bigtisas
10-11-2006, 02:19 AM
if you haven't used a fuel injector cleaner for a long time, do it.

Airborne001
10-12-2006, 05:03 AM
(no god damn ethanol!!!)

With so many places blending in ethanol, what is the highest blend percentage that is safe for a 1990 535i?

tvurt
10-12-2006, 08:11 AM
Put in some 19# fuel injectors from eBay! I got design 3's for $60.00, and relpaced my worn out ones! Instant 1.5 mpg increase!

Alexlind123
10-12-2006, 08:56 AM
Those iridium spark plugs gave me a extra 1 mpg average. Also, the ride is extremely smooth compared to the bosch. Not that bosch is bad but those iridiums are pretty incredible feats of engineering. The electrode is like a needle point.

I also have replaced the charcoal canister, the oil and fuel filters, put in mobil one 0w40, air filter, and kept the tires at around 35-37 psi. I haven't completed the test, but the mpg is creeping up about 2 mpg so far. Just got this done a week ago.

LOL! :D

632 Regal
10-12-2006, 09:52 AM
none.
With so many places blending in ethanol, what is the highest blend percentage that is safe for a 1990 535i?

campesino
10-17-2006, 09:56 AM

campesino

You have to buy a magnetic gas saver,

campesino
10-17-2006, 10:01 AM
campesio

Somebody can to help to me with my BMW 525i 1995 with a shimmin (vibration) in the front wheels starting at 50mph to 65mph. I balance the wheel and the shimmin continue.

632 Regal
10-17-2006, 10:29 AM
those dont work....tried it
campesino

You have to buy a magnetic gas saver,

632 Regal
10-17-2006, 10:31 AM
do a search for "shimmy" on the top of this forum. you will find a lot of information.
Good luck

campesio

Somebody can to help to me with my BMW 525i 1995 with a shimmin (vibration) in the front wheels starting at 50mph to 65mph. I balance the wheel and the shimmin continue.

BillionPa
10-19-2006, 04:41 AM
... gas isnt magnetic, and its not conductive, so moving gas through a fuel line with a magnet around it does absolutely 0...

3rdE34
10-19-2006, 12:41 PM
i suggest that you throw your air cleaner away and replace it with a high flow type.. dollar for dollar you wont get better improvement..just hope you notice the difference in the few bucks spent...if not at the bowser in performance... :)

Airborne001
11-17-2006, 05:55 AM
If you can catch Mythbusters, they did some tests of a bunch of these things, and used an actual flow meter on the fuel line as a test. Turns out that the magnets don't do anything at all, and what helped the most was keeping up on routine maintinace ( filters, oil, coolant)

nixter
11-17-2006, 01:20 PM
You best yur self one dem turbo tornado fans for the fuel line!!! weeeehaaaa!

Can you believe people bought those???

n