PDA

View Full Version : I believe its a fuel problem

ber55ber55
10-07-2006, 04:05 PM
I need to figure out how to check if its the pump or the fuel pressure regulator. The rotor, cap and wires all looked okay, and I replaced the spark plugs. The AFM when i unplugged it caused the engine to turn off, (i will adjust it later), then i check the fuel pressure reg. I unplugged the vaccum line that goes from the back of the intake manifold to the fuelpressure reg, and put my finger on the hole and blew and sucked on the hose (for sure, it sounds dirty hahaha) and if made no difference in the poor idle my car had. I want to check if the fuel pressure reg is delivering the 3 bar to the injectors or if the fuel pump is delivering, because at this point im almost 100% sure its a fuel issue. The injectors are not leaking because the car has no problem starting, it has a problem holding rpms and keeping a steady idle. Hope someone can help me (figureing out where the plug in the fuel pressure testing after the reg, no before it)

winfred
10-07-2006, 07:04 PM
the fuel line coming out of the regulator is low pressure return to the tank, you want to T into the other line, pressures will run about 35-45 psi depending on vacuum to the regulator, a common cause of crappy idle on a m20 is the idle switch is not working or out of adjustment and not telling the computer to turn on the idle circuit, theres tons of procedure for adjusting/testing it here

E34-520iSE
10-08-2006, 06:09 AM
(figureing out where the plug in the fuel pressure testing after the reg, no before it)

Have you had a fuel pressure guage inline yet(before the FPR)? What does it say? You'll know in about 10 seconds if you have a fuel delivery issue. If the fuel pressure regulator is duff you will be able to tell straight away with this method.

HTH,

Shaun

genphreak
10-08-2006, 06:17 AM
I need to figure out how to check if its the pump or the fuel pressure regulator. The rotor, cap and wires all looked okay, and I replaced the spark plugs. The AFM when i unplugged it caused the engine to turn off, (i will adjust it later), then i check the fuel pressure reg. I unplugged the vaccum line that goes from the back of the intake manifold to the fuelpressure reg, and put my finger on the hole and blew and sucked on the hose (for sure, it sounds dirty hahaha) and if made no difference in the poor idle my car had. I want to check if the fuel pressure reg is delivering the 3 bar to the injectors or if the fuel pump is delivering, because at this point im almost 100% sure its a fuel issue. The injectors are not leaking because the car has no problem starting, it has a problem holding rpms and keeping a steady idle. Hope someone can help me (figureing out where the plug in the fuel pressure testing after the reg, no before it)
Recheck your TPS and ICV. As Winfred said, it is liekly the ICV is not working properly (the ECU aims to get your motor to idle at 750-800 rpm using the ICV to regulate things). But the ECU turns the ICV off if the TPS tells the ECU the car is at idle. It is less likely to be fuel pressure unless you got the pipes mixed up when putting it back together or have water in the tank.