PDA

View Full Version : Trans speed sensor

monchichi
04-11-2004, 10:02 PM
hi.
How hard is it to replace a transmission speed sensor?
How many hours of work would a repair shop charge me for it?

One more question. Do indies have equipments to update trans software?

Thanks.

Mike H
04-12-2004, 10:17 AM
How hard is it to replace a transmission speed sensor?
How many hours of work would a repair shop charge me for it?
If they charge you more than an hour, they are ripping you off. If I remember correctly I had to remove the bracket that holds the differential to the crossmember (supporting the diff of course) to access one of the bolts holding the transmitter in place. 45 minutes tops.

Bellicose Right Winger
04-12-2004, 12:19 PM
Mike H,
Since he's also asked about trans software, monchichi may be referring to the speed sensor in AT's like the 4HP22EH. This is more involved then changing the differential speed sensor that drives the speedometer/OBC.

Paul Shovestul

If they charge you more than an hour, they are ripping you off. If I remember correctly I had to remove the bracket that holds the differential to the crossmember (supporting the diff of course) to access one of the bolts holding the transmitter in place. 45 minutes tops.

Mike H
04-12-2004, 12:52 PM
Good point . . . there I go again only thinking about my little world :D

It would be nice to have year, model, trans, etc in each request for help. I wonder if that's something that could be added to the new post form?

monchichi
04-12-2004, 01:28 PM
Thanks. 92 bmw535i automatic . I need to change the transmission speed sensor.

Jimmy535i
04-20-2004, 10:12 AM
I Have New Speedometer Transmitter Available on EBAY. Currently 2474041508

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2474041508&category=33678

If this is the part you are referring to?
The part for sale was never used. Got it from BMA. They sent wrong one and I did not return it. I changed mine on my 1990 535iA. It took about 1 hour. Better if you have car on lift.