PDA

View Full Version : Lethargic Acceleration, c'mon shift already!

SnakeyesTx
10-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Hung out with Milkboot last night and we were out in his 95 525. He's been describing this awkward issue he's been having during the week and aside from his fan clutch being locked up causing a bit of drag, and his oxygen sensor in need of replacement, I couldn't visualize his description of issue until it happened first hand on the road.

At first it was noticable when going uphill or during moderate acceleration, but then we noticed it was happening off of red lights as well. At one point I swore it felt like we were either a NA-Diesel or as if we were towing something really heavy.

Basically coming off a light, the engine would sporadically just flatline on the acceleration curve. You could get to about 3500-4000 rpm but it would take a ridiculously long time to get there no matter where your foot was on the throttle. At one time it took about 40-45 seconds just to get up to 50mph and it wouldn't even get past 2000 rpm. Most of the time it would stay stuck in first gear and refuse to shift for a good 15 seconds or so. Then I began to notice sometimes the trans wouldn't go into 4th, or it would take a while to come out of 2nd. It was all pretty sporadic. Sometimes it would shift and accelerate just fine, sometimes not. Usually when not, we'd get over in the right lane since it would start to hold up traffic. The check engine light would come on and turn off occasionally as well. Tried shifting in S-mode, but I think that didn't do any good either, because sometimes it worked fine, sometimes it did the exact same thing as leaving it in "D".

Honestly, I've never encountered anything like that before. Pretty sure its an electrical issue since when we finally got to our location, we had disconnected the battery for about 20 minutes. Upon leaving, it acted in its strange way only the first 30 seconds or so, but then ran fine the rest of the night. Also if it matters at all, there's two crankcase hoses at the front of the head near the vanos part missing/disconnected. One was fairly large, about 1/2" in diameter, and the other nipple was slightly underneath it only about 1/8" around. The 1/2" line was so soft it fell off at the head, but the other end was laying around under the intake. The 1/8" line was nowhere to be found. I couldn't see where either line goes under the intake, and there is an oily residue all around the area of the motor where the nipples/hoses point making me think its just crankcase ventilation (but I could be wrong?).

Vehicle info : 95 525, Auto, 96k miles. Any ideas?

Milkboot
10-07-2006, 11:22 AM
You cheeky monkey! You didnt even give me time to post it myself!

SnakeyesTx
10-07-2006, 08:02 PM
Bump for shock of always stumping the masses :D

GOODACTIONGIRL
10-08-2006, 08:48 AM
TO TELL YOU THAT DUH!......YOU GOT WATER IN YOUR GAS TANK!! IT HAPPENS SOMETIMES! YOU GOTTA GO TO AN AUTO SUPPLY STORE ANYPLACE SHOULD HAVE IT, EVEN A GAS STATION MIGHT HAVE THIS STUFF: IT'S A $5 BOTTLE OF THIS STUFF THAT YOU PUT IN YOUR GAS TANK THAT WILL TAKE ALL THE MOISTIER OUT SO THAT YOUR CAR WILL ACCELERATE NORMALLY AGAIN!!! OTHERWISE IT WILL DRAG REALLY BAD! EVEN WHEN YOU GOT THE PEDAL TO THE METAL! SOMETIMES IT MIGHT EVEN SPUTTER A LITTLE OR EVEN BACKFIRE! AND IT HAD TO BE A GIRL, THAT WOULD BE THE ONE (OUT OF THE MASSES): TO TELL YA THAT TOO!:p ;)

GOODACTIONGIRL
10-10-2006, 01:05 AM
Water In The Gastank....?!

Milkboot
10-14-2006, 01:01 AM
Water In The Gastank....?!

Ya know, it is a possibility, but there has been a random Check Engine light that I have been neglecting for a while. Now it does come on everytime the car is started, but i will look into it tho, i think i got a bottle of Sea Foam or B-12 around here somewhere.

The other thing I noticed was that the fuel pump gives off a GOD AWEFULL NOISE, You can hear it in the cabin! anyone have ideas about that? should you be able to hear it down the driveway? :p

HDhandyman
10-14-2006, 02:00 AM
my ride does the exact same thing from time to time with the AC or Defrost on...if i kill the defrost or AC it charges back up in about 20 secs. and pulls like normal. Are you running either of those?---if you turn them off and give it 15-20 secs does come back up?--that's def. electrical drain.

And yeah, my wife would have said "water in the gas tank too".---LOL!

Edit:

oh, if the battery cable is loose, the car will initiate the check engine light --on and off, on and off, etc. ----and sort of "chug" for acceleration as contact is on and off.---said you disconected the battery, did you tighten the cable after?

Milkboot
10-18-2006, 08:56 PM
Well we did tighten it back down, *I* didnt put it down super super super tight, but tight enough you couldnt twist it by hand wihtout a good hit from a wrench or a hammer, but i will check on that just incase. The only thing is, when the battery was disconencted was after it was already it was already causeing the problems, but might explain the little bit of trouble i am still having with it being more frequent.

my ride does the exact same thing from time to time with the AC or Defrost on...if i kill the defrost or AC it charges back up in about 20 secs. and pulls like normal. Are you running either of those?---if you turn them off and give it 15-20 secs does come back up?--that's def. electrical drain.

And yeah, my wife would have said "water in the gas tank too".---LOL!

Edit:

oh, if the battery cable is loose, the car will initiate the check engine light --on and off, on and off, etc. ----and sort of "chug" for acceleration as contact is on and off.---said you disconected the battery, did you tighten the cable after?

Milkboot
10-18-2006, 09:02 PM
Thinking about switching out the fuel pump, it makes a very very scary rumbling noise. cause the car does act like it is running out of gas, but never does. I only say that because of experience with other cars and them running out of fuel.