PDA

View Full Version : Pothole!

Jehu
10-06-2006, 11:38 PM
What components could have been damaged when i hit a pot hole at highway speed yesterday? I know the light alloy rim could have sustained damage, where else should i be looking? I don't feel any sustained vibrations but i think i am feeling something new.I very recently had the upper control arms and 750i bushings installed.So,at certain speeds mainly around 50ish, there seems like some wobbling that gets started from uneven pavement , comes up thru the steering wheel. But then there are other times when i can be doing 80 and it feels like it should , smooth and controlled.I know i can get the wheel tested on a Hunter machine but i may approach the State which has departments for asset recovery due to pot hole damage. At least they have a phone number and people's names who supposedly deal with this. If they tell me to get it checked out and then bring them an estimate i'd like to have an idea what to look at.the thing looked to have been cut in , it looked square. I was merging with traffic and was looking back over my left shoulder , as soon as i turned to the front again i saw it right before it disappeared under my right front wheel then BAM!I cursed the State of Massachusetts,again... it ought to be falling off into the Bay any moment..

genphreak
10-07-2006, 03:56 AM
What gets damaged in order of likelyhood;
Ass
Ego
Emotions/Spirit
EDIT: After market alloy rim (thanks Paul in NZ!)
Forged (ie factory) alloy rim
Thrust arm bushing
If a frame noise is felt/heard perhaps the ball joint will be killed too
Sway bar links (I imagine they can bend)
Perhaps the lower control arm (unlikely), I guess only if the Thrust arm (or it's bushing bolt) is bent
Perhaps the strut... but I've never seen that on a BMW yet.
Last but not least... walletI guess if the bushings are not ripped, it is unlikely anything else is busted.

Paul in NZ
10-07-2006, 04:14 AM
Alloy wheel could certainly be bent,my aftermarket rims bend very easily