PDA

View Full Version : No BRAKES!!!

Calico_NC
10-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Toady I just recieved my new clear/red depo lights off of ebay. Sorta like these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E34-CLEAR-RED-TAILLIGHTS-TAIL-LIGHTS-5-SERIES-88-96_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33716QQihZ008QQitemZ 180035844199QQrdZ1

Okay I took out my old lights, replaced them, everything works fine, but then brake light circuit comes on when i depressed the pedal. This is funny b/c they never engaged with my other (old) lights. So i was kinda doubting it would be the brake light switch. I HAVE NO BRAKES AT ALL!! What else could it be? I checked the fuses under the hood, but they were all fine. What next?

Calico_NC
10-06-2006, 10:38 PM
maybe it is the switch, seeing that all the lights are out at once. How can you tell if a switch is gone bad, and can you fix it without replacing? I can buy a new switch,but i just dont want to take the chance of getting pulled ova' b/c of not having brake lights.

Calico_NC
10-07-2006, 08:21 AM
anybody, im in a jam here.

E34-520iSE
10-07-2006, 08:42 AM
So your brake lights worked before you fitted the new tail lights? Did you have to replace the grey plastic bulb-holder unit? Get hold of a multimeter and check that the 'brake' wires are going +ve when the pedal is pushed.

HTH,

Shaun

Calico_NC
10-07-2006, 08:54 AM
no, i used the old bulb holder. Okay, ill try and check that too.

Calico_NC
10-07-2006, 10:43 AM
okay i brought a brake light switch from the dealer. Unscrewed the black plastic panel above the brakes had to unsrew the panel under the steering wheel as well. I get a flashlight, but i dont see anything that resembles the switch. Where actually is it located? I see the alarm noise thing, a couple of connectors, but i dont see the switch. Is it located behind something or in a hidden place?

Calico_NC
10-07-2006, 11:04 AM
is the switch under the steering column or is it down by the pedals? I opened the panel by the brakes not under the steering column. Was i in the right place?

Calico_NC
10-07-2006, 07:20 PM
all im asking is where is the brake light switch located at; right under the steering wheel or way down below by the pedals. I know somebody knows. Sheesh! just need to know what it looks like so i can replace it. already got the switch. plz give me some help!

zman-95-540i
10-07-2006, 09:02 PM
on my e36 it was down by the pedal. not sure on the e34.

Calico_NC
10-07-2006, 09:09 PM
okay i guess im looking in the right place then. Just have to look harder i guess

Calico_NC
10-07-2006, 09:52 PM
OKay i found it! thanks for the help everybody(with sarcasm) Now i broke the red/white pen thing off of the old switch, but i cant get the damn thing out. Is there a certain way to do it, or do you just yank it out. I tried yanking it out, but it wont budge. Do i just pull harder, or what? Hopefully someone can help.

Chris'91'525i
10-07-2006, 10:03 PM
I could find no info on it in the Bently manual, but my Chilton manual does.
You should be able to test it by grounding it, to bypass the switch. Disconnect wire from switch and apply to a good ground. If 2 wires to switch, disconnect from switch and touch them together or jump them. I'm just going by old school brake switch testing here, if there are more than 2 wires to switch, consult a BMW electrical schematic.
Switch is located near the top of brake petal.
According to to Chilton you can have one of two types of switchs or two switches. If you have 2 switches, the threaded switch is the test switch and the non-threaded one operates the brake lights.
Don't really know what they mean by 'test switch'. Must mean it tests for a dead brake light bulb ??
If you have just the threaded switch, it says to adjust 6mm from the edge of the threads to the brake petal.
The non threaded is self adjusting. Install it, push the brake petal down. Then pull the sleeve and plunger completely out of switch. Then slowly release brake petal, and that will adjust the switch.
I'm just going by what the Chilton manual says.
HTH

Calico_NC
10-07-2006, 10:15 PM
thanks for the response. so just pull both the red and white sleeve forward and then install it in place? did u notice anything about how to remove the old one. should it be easy to take out or hard (meaning that it takes alot of force)

Chris'91'525i
10-07-2006, 10:47 PM
thanks for the response. so just pull both the red and white sleeve forward and then install it in place? did u notice anything about how to remove the old one. should it be easy to take out or hard (meaning that it takes alot of force)

I'm just going by what Chilton says. Have not done one myself. Book does not mention any colors.
I assume you have just the non-threaded switch.
Disconnect harness from switch.
To remove; depress brake petal, pull the sleeve and plunger forward out of the switch. And pull switch out of holder.
To install;
Push the brake petal down and hold, pull the sleeve and plunger to the full out position. Install switch in holder. Then slowly release petal to self adjust.
Sorry thats all I got.
Sounds like you have to have the sleeve and plunger out to remove and install the switch.
Hopefully someone who has done one will chime in.

genphreak
10-08-2006, 05:58 AM
From what I know (happened only once to me) when my switch went it didn't click. ie you press the brake pedal a little (or operate the switch with yoru finger) and you could not hear it click. The new one I got did, screwed it in, made sure it worked when just barely touching the pedal a mm, and that was it

However I would be surprised if this is your switch causing the problem.

Deduction would suggest that in fitting your new lights, you opened the bootlid, perhaps a few times.

E34s are known for a bad wiring loom wear point under the [parcel shelf at the left side hinge, the wires wear bear here, sometimes shorting and even breaking. See www.bmwe34.net for details. I'd say you have a short in here. Lie inside the boot on your back with a torch to inpsect (carefully). Best check your fuses too... If the the lights are sometimes working this would definately be the problem.

Calico_NC
10-08-2006, 01:15 PM
OKay, after all this time, I got it.Big thanks to everyone that helped me out. I had to replace the switch after all. I guess it was defected. Anyway, all it took was a screwriver and a little pressure.