PDA

View Full Version : Intro and problem with computer display

JetMech
10-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Hey guys, thought I'd finally sign up instead of lurking. I'm a student at OSU, go bucks, and in the Air Force as a jet engine mechanic on KC-135R's, but unfortunately anything I know there doesn't help me on my car. Trying to learn as much as possible though. I've got a '95 525i m50, everything stock still because she's still kinda new to me. She's a great car besides a few ticks here and there.

Anyway, to the problem, and yeah I searched first, heh. My computer display is blank. It still works and I can get the information under my gauges and all of the buttons still work to set it. All that's wrong is the display is blank, it started when I turned my car on one time. I do have one fuse pulled for the horn, the #9, but I wouldn't think that would effect the display. It was blank a day or two after I pulled the fuse. So if it's something simple, heh, sorry, but if anyone has any ideas, thanks in advance.

Pics of "Gretchen" included.

JD525IA
10-06-2006, 12:33 PM
I remember the R-models across the flightline at Grand Forks. Those are some big f-ing engines. The eat frozen chicken just fine. B-1's get near just one pebble and they choke on it.

It sounds like you may acutally have a functioning OBC, but the backlight bulbs are out. Try putting a flashlight upt to it and see if you can see any numbers. If you can, then it's just the backlight bulbs (qty 2).

To get the OBC out, you need to remove (leave the wiring attached) the radio first, reach up into the upper right corner of the radio slot, and feel for the latch arm that you pull on to eject the OBC. The bulbs are cheap but can burn out. There are two for the display backlight and one bulb for the lettering backlighting.

Good luck.