PDA

View Full Version : M60: quick intake question so I can get the manifold off

brosher
10-06-2006, 11:10 AM
I've got everything disconnected and the manifold is loose. Only problem is I can not get the throttle cables off. The T30 torx screws that hold the bracket onto the manifold are not coming off. Is there any other way to get the throttle cables disconnected? :(

I'm on my lunch break, hopefully someone can help me out. Thanks! :)

infinity5
10-06-2006, 11:14 AM
I had to use Vice-Grips to tear the stupid torx screws out of the TB. They were a bitch and a half. I think i spend a good hour or two with vice grips trying to get them all off. Once you remove them go to homdepot and buy some standard metric bolts to replace them. next time it'll be 100x easier to remove.

only two ( i think) torx botls hold the bracket for the throttle cables on, you just have to get those two off and you're set.

I've got everything disconnected and the manifold is loose. Only problem is I can not get the throttle cables off. The T30 torx screws that hold the bracket onto the manifold are not coming off. Is there any other way to get the throttle cables disconnected? :(

I'm on my lunch break, hopefully someone can help me out. Thanks! :)

632 Regal
10-06-2006, 11:16 AM
ditto with the little vice grips.

brosher
10-06-2006, 11:31 AM
Got one of them off but my mini vice grip wont dig into the other one. Grrrr. I gotta go to the hardware store and pick up some new hose clamps anyways. Someone stripped the crap out of the clamp screw-heads over tightening them. Maybe I need bigger vice grips. :D

632 Regal
10-06-2006, 11:35 AM
I dont remeber vividly but are you able to turn the bracket with one bolt out? Might be able to break the other one loose.

Got one of them off but my mini vice grip wont dig into the other one. Grrrr. I gotta go to the hardware store and pick up some new hose clamps anyways. Someone stripped the crap out of the clamp screw-heads over tightening them. Maybe I need bigger vice grips. :D

yaofeng
10-06-2006, 12:15 PM
The throttle cable can be removed without having to remove the bracket.

632 Regal
10-06-2006, 12:54 PM
what he says
The throttle cable can be removed without having to remove the bracket.

brosher
10-06-2006, 01:20 PM
WOOHO it's off! :p

I got some better vice grips from the hardware store and they cracked it off. The mini ones I had were like $1.50 from walmart and the bolt was rounding ff the vice grip. The better ones cracked it off in a minute. Don't cheap out on tools! :) Made in china vice grips = suck, MADE IN USA = :D .

yaofeng
10-06-2006, 01:42 PM
WOOHO it's off! :p

I got some better vice grips from the hardware store and they cracked it off. The mini ones I had were like $1.50 from walmart and the bolt was rounding ff the vice grip. The better ones cracked it off in a minute. Don't cheap out on tools! :) Made in china vice grips = suck, MADE IN USA = :D .

Does it make you like the hex head bolt better now? I hate the allen head and torx head bolts.

brosher
10-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Pretty dumb, I spent a few hours on those stupid things. Really turned an easy job into something difficult and frustrating. Even had to use the dremel on one that the vice grips destroyed.

Tomorrow I'm doing the coolant pipes and valley gasket. Hopefully everything goes back together smooth *fingers crossed*. I've got an antsy better half who wants me to be tiling a bathroom this weekend, not working on my toy!

Antrieb
10-06-2006, 11:12 PM
Hey if you want to come up to my house tomorrow or sunday between 9am and 3 feel free to join in the fun! There will probably be around 5 guys here both days, all working on BMW's.

Shoot me a PM or Email. I think you have my # too.

brosher
10-07-2006, 02:29 PM
Finishing buttoning everything up. I have an extra 2-pole connector at the passenger side electrical box. I know that people w/out ASC have an extra one, I have ASC. Did I miss something or is this connector normal?

infinity5
10-07-2006, 06:11 PM
Finishing buttoning everything up. I have an extra 2-pole connector at the passenger side electrical box. I know that people w/out ASC have an extra one, I have ASC. Did I miss something or is this connector normal?

eh, when i did that i think i had like 3 or 4 connectors just laying around.

make sure the TPS is connected.

brosher
10-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Lol ok. Everything runs fine with out it so I think I'm good. Need to wait for tomorrow morning's cold start to see if the problem was solved.

brosher
10-09-2006, 12:38 PM
OK, need to consult the M60 gurus again. :D

Cold morning start this morning was difficult. It sputtered and wanted to die unless I gave it gas. I had this problem when I first got the car but a check valve mostly eliminated the problem. I am thinking I am losing pressure overnight and this got worse from the messing with the fuel lines I did.

Also for the first few revs in the morning I am hearing a quick squeak that sounds like a belt. I will need to get under the hood in the morning, but I didn't touch the belts so why would this be brought on? Or is it just a coincidence?

Good news is the intake gaskets seem to have eliminated my CEL and idle issues when the ambient temp is low. I'm still skeptical but this morning was A-OK as far as that is concerned. :)

Thanks!

632 Regal
10-09-2006, 01:21 PM
did you reset the computer when you got it together? Sort of sounds like an intake leak... when I redid my intake gaskets I forgot to tighten the clamps on the intake piping and it ran code free for a couple months before getting that damn CEL thing.

MBXB
10-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Had a similar problem a few months back. Check archives.
Even with the lock ring in place, check the pipe that runs from the front of the engine to the PCV plate. It needs to be seated towards the firewall. You can access it from the front and tap it till the O-rings seat on the PCV plate. You'll hear it seat itself.

632 Regal
10-09-2006, 01:33 PM
good call, i remember that thing and it took a while for me to figure it out.
Had a similar problem a few months back. Check archives.
Even with the lock ring in place, check the pipe that runs from the front of the engine to the PCV plate. It needs to be seated towards the firewall. You can access it from the front and tap it till the O-rings seat on the PCV plate. You'll hear it seat itself.

brosher
10-09-2006, 04:32 PM
I didn't reset the computer but the battery was disconnected overnight while it was apart. I'll double check the clamps.

If the oil pipe isn't seated is that essentially a leak? It looked like it was just for drain back.

MBXB
10-09-2006, 06:02 PM
There's an O ring on either end.
#9 is the one that needs to seat over the PCV plate nipple or you'll have a leak.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE63&mospid=47410&btnr=11_1291&hg=11&fg=15

I didn't reset the computer but the battery was disconnected overnight while it was apart. I'll double check the clamps.

If the oil pipe isn't seated is that essentially a leak? It looked like it was just for drain back.

brosher
10-10-2006, 04:53 PM
MBXB: I took a look under the hood after work today and I think that is my prob. It looks like I got the clip hooked on, but the clip came up over the little lip on the oil pipe instead of bringing the pipe with it. Hopefully I can get it seated without too much disassembly.

MBXB
10-10-2006, 06:15 PM
You can reach in from right under the front throttle body cover and tap the tube back with a long screwdriver. With the top engine cover and driver's side cover off, you can reach the clip.
Good Luck

brosher
10-14-2006, 07:12 PM
Finally got around to looking into this. Started a new job so this week was a little crazy and I had to live with it. The oil pipe was not seated so I fixed that and the bigger problem was that I had left the idle control valve disconnected. Oops!