PDA

View Full Version : Brake lining message

ScottyWM
10-06-2006, 09:39 AM
Yeah, I know what it means. When I've gotten it in the past, it was constant and I needed pads. Now I get this message intermittently though. Brakes have about only 18k miles on them - raybestos QS ceramics. But the message comes on right as I start the car sometimes, after a few minutes sometimes, after a long time sometimes, or sometimes not at all. Seems like if I've worn through the sensor the message would be constant. Could it be a bad wear sensor? Or do these ceramics really only last 18k?

632 Regal
10-06-2006, 10:09 AM
the warning is probably a wire rubbing and grounding through the wheel well. Check the pads anyways while your tracing the wire.

DaveVoorhis
10-06-2006, 10:09 AM
Visually check the pads to see if they're worn.

The sensors are hooked up with thin wires in a harsh environment. I've had a stone or stick get kicked up into the rear wheel and rip the leads clean off the sensor. Also, the connectors might be corroded. Inspect the wires, and check, clean and grease the connectors.

Spasso
10-06-2006, 10:21 AM
I've heard the sensors need to replaced once in a while. It's harsh under there.

ScottyWM
10-06-2006, 11:11 AM
Good ideas, I really didn't want to do the brakes again so soon.

Can I just disconnect the sensor to get rid of the message, or will that make it constant? Guess I could go try it... but I'm working on the MG today. Got evacuated from work due to the Apex NC hazardous material fire all over the TV.

DaveVoorhis
10-06-2006, 11:19 AM
Can I just disconnect the sensor to get rid of the message, or will that make it constant?
That will make it constant. Jumpering the connector will make it go away.

If it's intermittent, it might be a corroded or loose connector.

632 Regal
10-06-2006, 11:19 AM
Nasty fire man!

as you probably now know it will make the light constant.

Good ideas, I really didn't want to do the brakes again so soon.

Can I just disconnect the sensor to get rid of the message, or will that make it constant? Guess I could go try it... but I'm working on the MG today. Got evacuated from work due to the Apex NC hazardous material fire all over the TV.

KenB
10-06-2006, 11:25 AM
As a temp fix to get rid of the light, I have cut the sensor wires below the connector and twisted them together. Or, if jumpering the connector doesn't do it, your problem is a broken wire above the connector.