PDA

View Full Version : quick q: how much ATF will i lose if i pull a tranny cooler line....

ryan roopnarine
10-05-2006, 10:28 PM
transmission is a4s 310r
the return line the one i need to hit (the one that connects at the higher point on the radiator) or at least i think it is. it is the one that dips down below the level of the engine oil sump. it's marked by realoem as the 'return pipe'. i was about to remove it, and thought that it might not be wise to pull a line off the bellhousing/torque converter without knowing how much fluid i'd need to have on hand to refill it. i was going to cut the line, at the pinhole (in situ), but my tiny pipe cutter will not fit into the space provided unless i remove a motor mount....and i don't have a block of wood to do that. i guess this gives me a chance to pick up new orings for the line as well. thanks.

ps....somebody doesn't like me, as i thought, "since i have the car up in the air, let me go ahead and the oil. well, it turns out that i can't find 2 bottles of oil i KNOW i put into the trunk, so i couldn't do that either. so i just put another layer of JB weld over the hold for good measure.

winfred
10-05-2006, 10:43 PM
they usually don't loose much (sometimes not enough to worry about checking levels), you can stuff a chunk of rag tight in the hole and get it pretty slow if you are worried

ryan roopnarine
10-05-2006, 10:58 PM
thanks, winfred.

pps--i really used to dislike jb weld as i only had experience with jb quick stick, and it really didn't work well (for me). now, i don't see how i can leave home without stuff. it seems like it would work better than the hose bandage i carry now.

winfred
10-05-2006, 11:19 PM
try jb kwic (or whateven ****ing cutesy way they spell quick) it's almost as strong as the regular but sets hard in 5-10 minutes