PDA

View Full Version : Euro Gauge Cluster Conversion

gtopaul
10-05-2006, 08:47 PM
OK, I bought this euro E34 M5 instrument cluster to install in my Touring. Before I start tearing it apart has anyone converted one from KPH to MPH? All I want to change is the speedometer. The tach is fine as is, I'll use my coding plug from the Touring cluster so it reflects the correct mileage, don't care if the auto trans display doesn't work, doesn't matter about the tank gauge being a little different or the oil temp gauge that probably won't work. All I want is the speedometer issue addressed. I'm assuming that just swapping the speedometer dial won't get the job done because it'll probably read incorrectly so I guess swapping the entire speedometer assembly is the way to go if that can be done. If it can't I really don't have a problem with KPH because I lived in Germany 10 years and I'm used to it. Just rather have the MPH. Just looking for some info before this stuff is laying all over my kitchen table. ;)

Thanks.

Paul

CarloE34
10-06-2006, 04:58 AM
Paul,

As i know you need to put the whole cluster in it.You coult try to chance the speedo with your encoding plug.With the encoding plug from a US car it schoult be working.The only thing is that the oil temp is working like a tank meter.
I put one in mine and i had to chance the whole cluster.It was the only possible way.Otherwise it schows 210 kmh by driving 120kmh.Including the M5 encoding plug the oil temp was working.But i needed the original km so i put my 525 plug in it.Now i am driving with oil temp witch is working like a fuell meter.

I hope this is what you like to know.:D

gtopaul
10-06-2006, 06:06 AM
Paul,

As i know you need to put the whole cluster in it.You coult try to chance the speedo with your encoding plug.With the encoding plug from a US car it schoult be working.The only thing is that the oil temp is working like a tank meter.
I put one in mine and i had to chance the whole cluster.It was the only possible way.Otherwise it schows 210 kmh by driving 120kmh.Including the M5 encoding plug the oil temp was working.But i needed the original km so i put my 525 plug in it.Now i am driving with oil temp witch is working like a fuell meter.

I hope this is what you like to know.:D

That's a big help, thanks! Guess I'll swap the encoding plug first with the US version and install the cluster to see what happens. If the speedometer reads correctly then I can just change the dial. Luckily getting the cluster in and out is pretty simple.

Paul

CarloE34
10-06-2006, 09:08 AM
Okay Paul,

Keep me posted.If you need further more info just let me know.

Good luck