PDA

View Full Version : Check out this muffler.

Artsoap
10-05-2006, 01:39 PM
Okay, hate to sound stupid here but I know the muffler on my 525i needs to be replaced, I found this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E36-E34-E38-E39-525-DTM-TITANIUM-MUFFLER-EXHAUST_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33636QQihZ019QQ itemZ290035282578QQrdZ1

Is this a 'real' muffler, why on earth is this thing so cheap? I honestly don't get it and please don't tell me I'm stupid. I know I am when it comes to this subjuect, that is why I am asking ;)

swenpro
10-05-2006, 01:50 PM
Okay, hate to sound stupid here but I know the muffler on my 525i needs to be replaced, I found this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E36-E34-E38-E39-525-DTM-TITANIUM-MUFFLER-EXHAUST_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33636QQihZ019QQ itemZ290035282578QQrdZ1

Is this a 'real' muffler, why on earth is this thing so cheap? I honestly don't get it and please don't tell me I'm stupid. I know I am when it comes to this subjuect, that is why I am asking ;)

Very interesting find... I tried to find a catch in the listing, but there appears to be none. Apparently someone has found a way to manufacture a simple muffler with no ingenious built-in technology out of stainless (?) Cool if it's true...

Dave M
10-05-2006, 01:55 PM
You're not stupid, just cheap like my. Scottish a$$ If I could find a way to actually mount one of those and gain 10-15 hp, I'd do it in a second. One could buy 40 of those for what a new Eiberspacher/Einselviesen/Boiselberry OEM German muffler costs (I did buy one as they last a looooooong time).

All kidding and sceptasism over quality aside, you would have a more difficult time hanging it as it doesn't have the crimped edge needed to fit the rear clamps. I have no experience with aftermarket exhausts, but as you probably know, the stock muffler is bent to fit the car and quite long. I would suspect difficulty making that sucker fit well.

Plus, you get what you pay for, especially when you spent $9.95 ;)

I think the consensus will be "Stay Away"

Dave M

Denton
10-05-2006, 02:27 PM
Jesus no, stay away from Ebay.

Get a Magnaflow or other decent-quality muffler and go to a good exhaust shop. You may even find a good stock one for cheap.

Booster
10-05-2006, 02:58 PM
You'd have to weld four of those end to end for it to be reasonably quiet.They use cat fur for packing.....lol.
:p

632 Regal
10-05-2006, 04:45 PM
I know your on a budget and think you can have a shop stick the bracket to it as long as the piping it great. Normal users id give a hard time bit I have followed you efforts. pop that thing in at 20 bux and drive on. Besides this is just a temp repair on a car thats going to be executed upon a newer rust free well maintained example of German engineering.

wont hurt a bit.

saj3n
10-05-2006, 07:09 PM
what you can do is pick up a magnaflow off of ebay, will run you about $100 more, but quality and sound, will be much better than that one.

Alexlind123
10-05-2006, 07:27 PM
Im running with no rear muffler now, its not too loud but the cabin drone is rather annoying. Some of that may have to do with the fact that the pipes end at where the fron of the muffler used to be. I took it to two exhaust shops. The first one said a magnaflow would not fit but that he could weld straight pipes on for $90. The second place said they could weld straight pipes on for $180. WHat i really want is a magnaflow, and i think the places i went to were incompetent.

Artsoap
10-05-2006, 07:39 PM
I really need to get under mine and see what is going on. It too has the cabin drone, thats why I assume the muffler is bad. However it does not seem to sound loud going down the road. Additonally it rattles going down gravel roads, so again, I assume it is the exhaust but won't really know until I can get under it and get a good look :(

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-05-2006, 08:03 PM
if it's not loud outside, just seems like some exhaust noise is being transmitted to the body/cabin, then check out the rubber hanger rings.

If they are hard or missing and replaced with wire, then that could be a source of cabin noise.

Artsoap
10-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Thank you : )!!!

Dave M
10-05-2006, 08:49 PM
I really need to get under mine and see what is going on. It too has the cabin drone, thats why I assume the muffler is bad. However it does not seem to sound loud going down the road. Additonally it rattles going down gravel roads, so again, I assume it is the exhaust but won't really know until I can get under it and get a good look :(

I agree with Bob, after dealing with exhaust probs on every car I've owned, I would check (hope) for a leak 'outside' of the muffler. with the car safely raised enough to reach under, listen and feel for a leak. You may get lucky and have to either tighten/replace a clamp, or replace a small section of straight pipe.

Heres hoping its a cheap fix,

Dave M

Airborne001
10-06-2006, 04:39 AM
Get a Magnaflow

These are great mufflers, and you can contact Magnaflow directly for fitment.

Additonally it rattles going down gravel roads

You may need to replace the worn/missing anti-rattle clips in the brake calipers.

_

uginer
10-30-2006, 12:26 AM
Ok, not dont even think of putting that peice of **** in to a bmw. that is a damn civic exhaust.

Super Sprint, Dinan, Eisenmann, B & B Tri Flow, Remus, Here are a couple of superior exhaust companys out there for these cars.

Jon K
10-30-2006, 01:09 AM
You'd have to weld four of those end to end for it to be reasonably quiet.They use cat fur for packing.....lol.
:p

Packing? Who uses mufflers with packing?

angrypancake
10-30-2006, 01:11 AM
run open cat. after i heard it (thanks Jon) there's no turning back from that sound.

Black 535i
10-30-2006, 07:51 AM
...but in the description nowhere does it mention this fine, expensive metal. Run screaming with your hair on fire from this EBay posting!

Ferret
10-30-2006, 08:32 AM
Lol! look at his other auctions, apparently the same exhaust fits about 25 different vehicles.

*groan*

I hate ebayers that sell generic crap as vehicle specific.

Ross
10-30-2006, 08:43 AM
Yes, it is a real muffler. It is not a muffler that will fit your car or improve it's performance.
I ordered one from what looks to be the same seller who was bold enough to list it as being Remus brand a while back. For the price I knew it couldn't be but was curious enough to see what sort of crap it would be.
What you will get is a cheesy, albeit shiny, Chinese muffler with a single inlet, no brackets and improperly sized for your car.
I had an out as the seller obviously misrepresented it and had little choice to accept the return for a refund or face consequences.
This is suitable perhaps for the fart pipe & stickered up cars popular among urban youth, nothing more.

Ferret
10-30-2006, 08:57 AM
the fart pipe & stickered up cars popular among urban youth

Rofl - you've just reminded me of a beaten up old peugeot 106 that tried to overtake me on the way to work this morning. 1.0 litre with an exhaust on the back that I swear I could get one of my size 12 walking boots into - I nearly had to stop cos myself and passenger were laughing so hard.

Ross
10-30-2006, 09:07 AM
It's pretty silly when exhaust pipe diameter exceeds cylinder bore.

Jon K
10-30-2006, 09:10 AM
It's pretty silly when exhaust pipe diameter exceeds cylinder bore.

No its not.