PDA

View Full Version : Trans program on start up

monchichi
04-11-2004, 03:59 PM
Hello.
I have 92 535i Automatic.

I get a clunk from tranny when the car comes to a stop at stop lights.
When it gets worse, "trans program" will come up and limp mode.
So far, no one could help me with this problem.

But now, I get "trans program" as soon as I start the car.
I have just replaced a driveshaft for $2500CAD and this problem is stressing me so much.

If I get "trans program" and turn off the car, would the computer still have the fault code? Or do I have to keep the car running to check the code?

The dealership always tells me they can't duplicate the "trans program" at their shop but told me to replace the driveshaft which costed me $2500CAD.

But the problem is still there.

Before they replaced the driveshaft, they said I had to replace the torque converter. (When I ask him about the speed sensor and relays, he makes it sound like it's lots of work)

Would the fault code show correct diagnosis for the problem?
Is it better to follow what the fault code tells me?
Would an independent garage have a fault code reader?

If I spend another $2500 for the torque converter, I have spent enough money to buy another BMW.

Please help me. I am not a rich guy. I got this car from my father and he doesn't want it to die before he does.

darron525
04-11-2004, 04:25 PM
try this, http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/TransProgram.asp ,

I had the problem every once in a while. I had a battery that was giong bad and after reading Bruno's site I realized that it was the battery. Got a new one and haven't had any problems.
This is a Holiday Weekend for alot of people but im sure some of the senior board members will get back to you on Monday, but I do know that It could be a range of things.

Good luck'

Darron 93 525i

Hello.

I have just replaced a driveshaft for $2500CAD and this problem is stressing me so much.

If I get "trans program" and turn off the car, would the computer still have the fault code? Or do I have to keep the car running to check the code?

The dealership always tells me they can't duplicate the "trans program" at their shop but told me to replace the driveshaft which costed me $2500CAD.

Before they replaced the driveshaft, they said I had to replace the torque converter. (When I ask him about the speed sensor and relays, he makes it sound like it's lots of work)

If I spend another $2500 for the torque converter, I have spent enough money to buy another BMW.

Please help me. I am not a rich guy. I got this car from my father and he doesn't want it to die before he does.

monchichi
04-11-2004, 07:20 PM
Hello.

Please Help Me.

ryan roopnarine
04-11-2004, 07:24 PM
most indies that actually work on german cars seem to have the computer equipment to read the fault on your transmission. i'm not sure if trans prog has to be indicated when they scan it, or if it is stored in memory. find other repair personnel.....2500 cdn is WAAAAY too much.